Jackals Season Ends with 5-3 Loss to Brampton
ELMIRA, NY - April 9, 2016 - Justin Bernhardt scored in his 200th professional game and Zach Cohen and Kyle Bushee recorded goals as well, but the Jackals fell short with a 5-3 loss to the Brampton Beast. The Jackals remained in the playoff hunt until the final game of the regular season, but were officially knocked out with the loss tonight.
Brampton opened the scoring at 3:52 of the first period as Marc Beckstead took a long stretch pass at the Jackals blue line and walked in on a breakaway beating Shane Owen with a wrist shot to the glove side. Daniel Vernace and Steven Kaunisto earned the assists on Beckstead's first pro goal.
The Jackals tied the game at 8:26 of the opening frame with a power-play strike. Shane Owen started the play behind the net, leaving the puck for Matt Prapavessis who walked to center ice and fed a pass to his left for Kyle Bushee. Bushee danced through the Brampton defense and buried a wrist shot off the far post and in past Eric Brassard for his eighth goal of the campaign.
Elmira took its first lead of the night at 10:26 of the second period with Justin Bernhardt's 10th goal of the season coming in his 200th professional game. Chris Langkow played a backhand pass to the slot to Allan McPherson who tapped it backdoor for Justin Bernhardt to bury and give the Jackals the lead.
Just over a minute later the Beast tied the game as Nick McParland slammed home a backdoor past from Joey West for his 12th goal of the season. David Ling was also credited with an assist on McParland's goal at 11:40.
Brampton regained the lead with less than four seconds left in the second period as Joey West deflected a shot from Steven Kaunisto for his first pro goal. Nick McParland also earned an assist on West's marker.
The Beast increased their lead to two goals at 8:16 of the third period as Jordan Henry walked into the slot and lifted a backhand past Owen for his sixth goal of the season. Mike Vernace earned the lone assist on Henry's goal.
The Jackals clawed back within one at 11:15 of the third period as Zach Cohen deflected Tyler Currier's wrist shot for his 14th goal of the season. Jacob MacDonald also earned an assist on Cohen's tip-in tally.
Elmira threw everything at Brassard and the Beast firing 21 shots in the third period alone, but the pack could not complete the comeback. Nick McParland added the empty-net goal at 18:50 to seal the win for the Beast.
Shane Owen turned aside 33 of 37 shots faced but was saddled with the loss. Eric Brassard stopped 42 of 45 shots faced to earn a win in his pro debut.
Don't miss a minute of the action with Jackals season tickets! Call (607) 734-7825 or visit jackalshockey.com to order your season tickets today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2016
- Steelheads drop season finale to Mavs - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-3 Win in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Win Final Game of Regular Season 3-1 over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Announce Playoff Schedule for First Round Matchup - Reading Royals
- Oilers Finish Season with 2-1 Overtime Win - Tulsa Oilers
- O'Donnell Ties Club Record in 5-1 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Thrilling Finish Extends Final IceMen Game in Shootout Loss - Evansville IceMen
- Cyclones Victorious in Regular Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Take Season Finale in OT vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Season Ends with Overtime Loss in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Beat Admirals 5-4, Will Play Kalamazoo to Open Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Suffer Second Straight Slip Down the Stretch to Wheeling in Regular Season Finale, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale, Face Missouri in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Wings Punch Ticket to Postseason in Finale Shutout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Edged in Final Seconds of Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Close out 2015-16 Season with 5-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Conclude Season with Hard-Fought Loss at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Jackals Season Ends with 5-3 Loss to Brampton - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Release Playoff Schedule - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 5-4, in Regular Season Finale - Manchester Monarchs
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Schedule Announced: Thunder vs. Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- Ian Bateaux Scores Late Giving Atlanta 5-4 Win in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Earn 19th Road Win in Regular Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast End Season with Huge 5-3 Win over Jackals - Brampton Beast
- Toledo Finishes Regular Season with a 4-0 Loss in Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Rapid City Back in "Hockeyville" Competition - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, April 9th - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Sign Teddy Doherty to Standard Player Contract - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 9 - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Loaned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Patsch re-signs with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Host Thunder in Season Finale: Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Faille Recalled from Solar Bears to Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday to Feature over $1,000 in Giveaways - Adirondack Thunder
- Team Awards Tonight - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack Thunder Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Jackals Close out Regular Season at Home against Brampton with Playoff Hopes on the Line - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: South Carolina at Norfolk, 7:15 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavericks Assigned Carter Verhaeghe from Sound Tigers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Final Regular Season Home Game Is Tonight, as the Playoffs Open Thursday - Allen Americans
- ECHL Today - April 9 - ECHL
- Hafner, Sivak Lead Aces to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Alaska Aces
- Hafner Claims First Pro Shutout as Aces Blank Eagles 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Open the Playoffs at Home Next Thursday & Saturday - Allen Americans
- Statement Win for Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Fall in Rapid City; Home Playoff Dates Announced - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.