Jackals Edged out in Series Finale by Monarchs
MANCHESTER, NH -The Elmira Jackals (17-45-7-1) finished the road portion of their schedule with 4-2 loss against the Manchester Monarchs (36-22-7-4) at SNHU Arena Sunday afternoon. The Jackals will play their final two games at home next weekend against the Adirondack Thunder.
The Jackals played a strong first period and carried a 1-0 lead over the Monarchs into the second period with the help of 16 first period saves by Jason Kasdorf. Elmira opened the scoring at 12:10 of the first on Anthony Stefano's first professional goal. Nathan Moon filtered a pass to Stefano, who was streaking in behind the Manchester defense. Despite being hooked, Stefano managed to slide the puck through Charles Williams' five hole to give the Jackals a 1-0 lead.
Manchester responded with two goals in the second period to go ahead 2-1 after 40 minutes. The Jackals held a 1-0 lead halfway through the second until the Monarchs struck on a power play. Kevin Morris tied the game 1-1 at 10:04, burying a rebound just 11 seconds into a power play. Later in the period, Tyler Sikura sent a pass to Mario Puskarich in the slot and he fired home a wrister to give the Monarchs a 2-1 lead at 14:24.
The third period was filled with penalties and the Jackals took advantage early as Davis Vandane blasted a 4-on-3 power-play goal from the left circle, giving him a power-play goal in three straight games. Vandane's 11th goal of the season tied the game 2-2 and Matt Stanisz and Stefano picked up the assists.
The game remained tied for the next nine minutes, but the Monarchs broke the tie at 12:50 on a broken play. Daniel Doremus got the puck at the right wing circle and attempted to shoot, but the puck rolled off his stick at the last moment. It rolled right into the slot where Zac Lynch fired it into an open net for a 3-2 Manchester lead. The Jackals comeback bid was foiled by three consecutive penalties late in regulation and the Monarchs sealed the win with an empty-net power-play goal by Joe Diamond at 19:23, giving Manchester a 4-2 win.
With the win, the Monarchs secured a playoff berth for the eighth straight season.
There are only two more chances to see the Elmira Jackals in action at First Arena! Get your tickets today by calling (607) 734-7825.
Follow the Jackals at www.jackalshockey.com, on Facebook, Twitter (@JackalsHockey) and Instagram for all the latest news and updates.
Group tickets are a great way to entertain employees, co-workers, clients, friends and family. For more information on discounted group tickets and a list of group benefits, call (607) 734-7825 or visit http://www.jackalshockey.com/groups/.
Officially licensed Elmira Jackals replica team jerseys, apparel and headwear can be purchased online at: http://www.jackalshockey.com/
# # #
Friday, April 7th: Elmira Jackals vs. Adirondack Thunder - 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, April 8th: Elmira Jackals vs. Adirondack Thunder - 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 2, 2017
- Royals Claim Playoff Spot with 5-3 Win in Wheeling - Reading Royals
- DeBlouw Nets Game-Winner at Missouri - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Punch Final Playoff Ticket with 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Naclerio's Winner :36 Seconds into Overtime Gives Atlanta the Victory in Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Solar Bears Inch Closer to Playoff Spot in 4-3 OT Loss to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets to Face Mallards in Round 1 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Claim Shootout Win over Cincinnati; Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Indy Fuel
- Devin's Overtime Goal Sends Rays Past Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Suffer Tough Shootout Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-2 Victory over Elmira - Manchester Monarchs
- Jackals Edged out in Series Finale by Monarchs - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Transactions - April 2 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Add Defenseman Blake Thompson - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Hold on for 3-2 Win over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Komm Stops 31 Shots in 3-0 Shutout of Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Fuel Keep Point Streak Alive in Shootout Loss to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Win Big in Regular Season Home Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Come up Short in Playoff-Like Slugfest with Everblades - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Suffer Third Period Stumble in 5-2 Loss to Brampton - Reading Royals
- GAME REPORT: Oilers Heavily Out-Chance Americans in Narrow Loss - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.