Cyclones Victorious in Regular Season Finale
Moline, IL- The Cincinnati Cyclones (36-27-5-4) collected a 4-3 win over the Quad City Mallards on Saturday night, in the 2015-16 regular season finale. Forwards Jack Downing and Zach Budish, along with defensemen Jonathan Diaby and Garrett Noonan chipped in the goals for the Cyclones, who lock up the seventh seed in the Western Conference for the 2016 Kelly Cup Playoffs.
The offense came early and often in this one for the Cyclones, as just 5:50 into the opening period, forward Andrew Yogan threw the puck on net after a wrap-around attempt, and Downing crashed the net and stuffed in the rebound to put Cincinnati ahead, 1-0.
A little over three minutes later Cincinnati lit the lamp once more, as Noonan sent a pass to Diaby in the left wing circle, and he launched home the one-timer to lift the Cyclones to a 2-0 lead.
The Cyclones were not done, and with less than two minutes left in the opening period the power play got into the mix, when Noonan took a pass from Yogan, skated into the high slot, and fired a slapshot into the back of the net to give Cincinnati a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes.
The Mallards turned up the offense in the second and cut Cincinnati's lead to 3-1 when forward Jordan Knackstedt found the back of the net 2:53 into the frame.
Cincinnati got that one right back 37 seconds later when Budish stole a pass from Quad City's Alex Gudbranson in the offensive zone and sniped a wrister past Mallards goaltender PJ Musico to extend the Cyclones' lead back to three goals, 4-1.
Quad City continued to pressure Cincinnati offensively throughout the remainder of the second, receiving markers from forwards Trevor Cox and Matt Carey to cut their deficit to 4-3 after two periods.
The physical play continued in the third, and both side exchanged some quality scoring chances. Cyclones netminder Andy Iles was charged with making some big saves in the period, especially in the final minutes with the Quad City goalie pulled, however the Cyclones withstood the barrage, and Cincinnati came away with the 4-3 win.
The Cyclones outshot the Mallards, 35-34 on the night, with Iles stopping 31 to take the victory. The win secures the seventh spot in the Western Conference for the Cyclones, and sets up a matchup with the Ft. Wayne Komets in the first round of the 2016 Kelly Cup Playoffs. Game 1 is set for next Friday in Ft. Wayne, with faceoff slated for 8:00pm ET.
The 2016 Kelly Cup Playoffs are right around the corner! YOUR Cyclones are on the march towards another Kelly Cup Championship, and want you along for the ride! Be sure to check out one of our 2016 Kelly Cup Playoff Ticket Packages, available NOW! Call 513.421.PUCK to reserve your seats. Fans can also get the latest team updates on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), Instagram, and our website, http://www.cycloneshockey.com www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2016
- Steelheads drop season finale to Mavs - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-3 Win in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Win Final Game of Regular Season 3-1 over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Announce Playoff Schedule for First Round Matchup - Reading Royals
- Oilers Finish Season with 2-1 Overtime Win - Tulsa Oilers
- O'Donnell Ties Club Record in 5-1 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Thrilling Finish Extends Final IceMen Game in Shootout Loss - Evansville IceMen
- Cyclones Victorious in Regular Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Take Season Finale in OT vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Season Ends with Overtime Loss in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Beat Admirals 5-4, Will Play Kalamazoo to Open Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Suffer Second Straight Slip Down the Stretch to Wheeling in Regular Season Finale, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale, Face Missouri in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Wings Punch Ticket to Postseason in Finale Shutout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Edged in Final Seconds of Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Close out 2015-16 Season with 5-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Conclude Season with Hard-Fought Loss at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Jackals Season Ends with 5-3 Loss to Brampton - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Release Playoff Schedule - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 5-4, in Regular Season Finale - Manchester Monarchs
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Schedule Announced: Thunder vs. Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- Ian Bateaux Scores Late Giving Atlanta 5-4 Win in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Earn 19th Road Win in Regular Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast End Season with Huge 5-3 Win over Jackals - Brampton Beast
- Toledo Finishes Regular Season with a 4-0 Loss in Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Rapid City Back in "Hockeyville" Competition - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, April 9th - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Sign Teddy Doherty to Standard Player Contract - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 9 - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Loaned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Patsch re-signs with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Host Thunder in Season Finale: Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Faille Recalled from Solar Bears to Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday to Feature over $1,000 in Giveaways - Adirondack Thunder
- Team Awards Tonight - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack Thunder Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Jackals Close out Regular Season at Home against Brampton with Playoff Hopes on the Line - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: South Carolina at Norfolk, 7:15 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavericks Assigned Carter Verhaeghe from Sound Tigers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Final Regular Season Home Game Is Tonight, as the Playoffs Open Thursday - Allen Americans
- ECHL Today - April 9 - ECHL
- Hafner, Sivak Lead Aces to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Alaska Aces
- Hafner Claims First Pro Shutout as Aces Blank Eagles 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Open the Playoffs at Home Next Thursday & Saturday - Allen Americans
- Statement Win for Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Fall in Rapid City; Home Playoff Dates Announced - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.