Beast End Season with Huge 5-3 Win over Jackals
ELMIRA, NEW YORK - Brampton Beast rookie goaltender Eric Brassard was a busy man throughout his first professional start and kicked out an impressive 42 saves to help lead the Beast to a 5-3 win over the Elmira Jackals, ending their 2015-16 season on a high note.
Marc Beckstead and Joey West both earned their first pro goals, Beast captain Jordan Henry chipped in with a single and Nick McParland added a pair of goals tyo help the Beast to their second straight victory and fourth straight over the Jackals.
The Beast got the scoring started early in the opening frame as Marc Beckstead got in behind the Elmira defense and took a perfect pass from defenseman Steven Kaunisto and broke in on Jackals starting goaltender Shane Owen. He placed a perfect shot beyond the glove hand, giving Beckstead his first professional goal at 3:52.
Shortly thereafter, the Jackals got one back as Kyle Bushee deked his way through the neutral zone and right in on goal against Beast starter Eric Brassard making his professional debut. Bushee beat Brassard on a partial breakaway, tying the game at 8:26.
After some superb goaltending by both Brassard and Owen to start the second period, the Jackals earned a 2-1 lead by the midway point of the frame. Justin Bernhardt pounced on a loose puck that squirted loose from a scrum in front and beat Brassard for his 10th goal of the season at 10:26.
The Beast wasted no time tying the game at two as Nick McParland jumped on a lose puck just over a minute later and rifled home his 12th of the campaign with Joey West and David Ling earning the assists at 11:40.
The Beast weren't done scoring in the second period. In the final minute of the frame, David Ling showed great patience down the left wing and spotted Steven Kaunisto trailing in the high slot. He placed a beautiful pass right on Kaunisto's tape and the defenseman fired a shot on goal that was deflected by Joey West, giving the rookie his first pro goal and giving the Beast the lead heading into the third.
Jordan Henry pushed the Beast lead to 4-2 at 8:16 of the final period as he settled down a loose puck near the top of the circle and executed a perfect deke to get around a defenseman. He sent a perfect backhand shot on goal that beat Owen cleanly over the blocker, giving the Beast captain his sixth goal of the season.
The Jackals, with their playoff lives on the line, would not go down without a fight. Tyler Currier sent a seeing-eye wrist shot on goal through a crowd that was deflected by Zach Cohen and beat Brassard, cutting the lead to 4-3.
Through a hard-fought third period, Nick McParland iced the game with an empty-netter with just over a minute remaining in the game, putting the game out of reach.
Notes: The Beast finished the game 0-for-1 on the power play and 1-for-2 on the penalty kill. Molson Three Stars: 3) Steven Kaunisto 2) Eric Brassard 1) Nick McParland.
The Beast will now head home to Brampton where they will attend the 2015-16 team awards dinner at Oscar's Roadhouse tomorrow, Sunday, April 10 from 6:00 to 8:00 PM. Members of the public are welcome to attend and cheer on their Beast one more time.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2016
- Steelheads drop season finale to Mavs - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-3 Win in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Win Final Game of Regular Season 3-1 over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Announce Playoff Schedule for First Round Matchup - Reading Royals
- Oilers Finish Season with 2-1 Overtime Win - Tulsa Oilers
- O'Donnell Ties Club Record in 5-1 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Thrilling Finish Extends Final IceMen Game in Shootout Loss - Evansville IceMen
- Cyclones Victorious in Regular Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Take Season Finale in OT vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Season Ends with Overtime Loss in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Beat Admirals 5-4, Will Play Kalamazoo to Open Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Suffer Second Straight Slip Down the Stretch to Wheeling in Regular Season Finale, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale, Face Missouri in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Wings Punch Ticket to Postseason in Finale Shutout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Edged in Final Seconds of Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Close out 2015-16 Season with 5-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Conclude Season with Hard-Fought Loss at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Jackals Season Ends with 5-3 Loss to Brampton - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Release Playoff Schedule - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 5-4, in Regular Season Finale - Manchester Monarchs
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Schedule Announced: Thunder vs. Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- Ian Bateaux Scores Late Giving Atlanta 5-4 Win in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Earn 19th Road Win in Regular Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast End Season with Huge 5-3 Win over Jackals - Brampton Beast
- Toledo Finishes Regular Season with a 4-0 Loss in Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Rapid City Back in "Hockeyville" Competition - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, April 9th - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Sign Teddy Doherty to Standard Player Contract - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 9 - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Loaned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Patsch re-signs with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Host Thunder in Season Finale: Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Faille Recalled from Solar Bears to Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday to Feature over $1,000 in Giveaways - Adirondack Thunder
- Team Awards Tonight - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack Thunder Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Jackals Close out Regular Season at Home against Brampton with Playoff Hopes on the Line - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: South Carolina at Norfolk, 7:15 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavericks Assigned Carter Verhaeghe from Sound Tigers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Final Regular Season Home Game Is Tonight, as the Playoffs Open Thursday - Allen Americans
- ECHL Today - April 9 - ECHL
- Hafner, Sivak Lead Aces to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Alaska Aces
- Hafner Claims First Pro Shutout as Aces Blank Eagles 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Open the Playoffs at Home Next Thursday & Saturday - Allen Americans
- Statement Win for Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Fall in Rapid City; Home Playoff Dates Announced - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.