Nailers Earn 19th Road Win in Regular Season Finale
READING, PA- While the Wheeling Nailers clinched their spot in the 2016 Kelly Cup Playoffs one night earlier, they took the ice on Saturday night, hoping to finish as high as they could in the ECHL Standings. For the second consecutive night, Wheeling trailed at the start of the third period, but rallied for three goals, coming back to defeat the Reading Royals, 4-3 at Santander Arena. Mathew Maione scored twice for the Nailers, who will face the Florida Everblades in the first round of the postseason.
The first period was filled with action, as both teams found their way onto the scoreboard, one side had a goal waved off, and there were seven total power plays. Wheeling was the first team to strike, and it did so on a power play at the 5:39 mark. Anton Zlobin swirled around the left side of the offensive zone, before sliding a pass over to Mathew Maione at the top of the right circle. Maione stepped into a one-timer, powering it over Martin Ouellette's glove. Reading responded with a power play goal of its own with 8:27 remaining. Cam Reid tossed a pass through the slot to Yannick Tifu, whose right circle shot was stopped. However, the rebound sat in the crease, where it was smacked in by Justin Crandall.
One goal was scored in the second period, and it went to the Royals, who took their first lead of the evening. The Nailers attempted a pass coming out of their own zone, but Ian Watters stole it away in the right circle. Watters immediately took advantage of his opportunity, scoring on a wrist shot into the left side of the cage.
For the second night in a row, the comeback kids were down but not out, rallying back against Reading in the third. At 5:55 of the stanza, Wheeling pulled even. Shane Bakker poked a puck through on the left side of the offensive zone to Jordan Kwas. Kwas drove his way to the front of the net, where he slipped a shot through Ouellette for the equalizer. With 8:50 remaining, the Nailers regained the lead with their fourth power play goal in two nights. Mathew Maione let a wrist shot go from the left point, which flew in for the go-ahead marker. Cody Wydo tacked on an empty netter with less than ten seconds left, putting the finishing touches on the 37th triumph of the season.
Casey DeSmith was Wheeling's winning goaltender for the second night in a row, as he made 27 saves on 29 shots. Martin Ouellette took the loss for Reading, giving up three goals on 30 shots.
The Nailers will take on the Florida Everblades in the opening round of the 2016 Kelly Cup Playoffs. Wheeling will play home games on April 20th, 22nd, and 23rd (if necessary).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2016
- Steelheads drop season finale to Mavs - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-3 Win in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Win Final Game of Regular Season 3-1 over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Announce Playoff Schedule for First Round Matchup - Reading Royals
- Oilers Finish Season with 2-1 Overtime Win - Tulsa Oilers
- O'Donnell Ties Club Record in 5-1 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Thrilling Finish Extends Final IceMen Game in Shootout Loss - Evansville IceMen
- Cyclones Victorious in Regular Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Take Season Finale in OT vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Season Ends with Overtime Loss in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Beat Admirals 5-4, Will Play Kalamazoo to Open Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Suffer Second Straight Slip Down the Stretch to Wheeling in Regular Season Finale, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale, Face Missouri in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Wings Punch Ticket to Postseason in Finale Shutout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Edged in Final Seconds of Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Close out 2015-16 Season with 5-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Conclude Season with Hard-Fought Loss at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Jackals Season Ends with 5-3 Loss to Brampton - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Release Playoff Schedule - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 5-4, in Regular Season Finale - Manchester Monarchs
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Schedule Announced: Thunder vs. Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- Ian Bateaux Scores Late Giving Atlanta 5-4 Win in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Earn 19th Road Win in Regular Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast End Season with Huge 5-3 Win over Jackals - Brampton Beast
- Toledo Finishes Regular Season with a 4-0 Loss in Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Rapid City Back in "Hockeyville" Competition - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, April 9th - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Sign Teddy Doherty to Standard Player Contract - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 9 - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Loaned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Patsch re-signs with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Host Thunder in Season Finale: Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Faille Recalled from Solar Bears to Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday to Feature over $1,000 in Giveaways - Adirondack Thunder
- Team Awards Tonight - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack Thunder Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Jackals Close out Regular Season at Home against Brampton with Playoff Hopes on the Line - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: South Carolina at Norfolk, 7:15 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavericks Assigned Carter Verhaeghe from Sound Tigers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Final Regular Season Home Game Is Tonight, as the Playoffs Open Thursday - Allen Americans
- ECHL Today - April 9 - ECHL
- Hafner, Sivak Lead Aces to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Alaska Aces
- Hafner Claims First Pro Shutout as Aces Blank Eagles 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Open the Playoffs at Home Next Thursday & Saturday - Allen Americans
- Statement Win for Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Fall in Rapid City; Home Playoff Dates Announced - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.