Fuel Vote Nailers Off The Island With 4-1 Win On Survivor Night
INDIANAPOLIS- The Fuel hosted the Wheeling Nailers for the first time this season on Friday night to kick off a three-in-three weekend. On Survivor Night, Indy snuffed Wheeling's torch by defeating them 4-1 in regulation to start their weekend.
The Nailers got on the score sheet first with a penalty to Jarrett Lee for tripping at 5:30. Cam Hillis took a penalty for the Fuel less than a minute later, for interference to force 4-on-4 play.
Andrew Bellant utilized the open space on the ice to score first, making it 1-0 Fuel. Seamus Malone and Ryan Gagnier both collected assists on that goal.
At 11:59 in the first period, Anthony Firriolo added to the Fuel's lead with his first professional goal to make it 2-0. Andrew Bellant collected his second point of the game with an assist as well as Bryan Lemos, who nabbed an assist in his first game back with the Fuel this season.
At the end of the first frame, shots were tied 7-7 but the Fuel were ahead 2-0 in scoring.
Zach Jordan started the second period quickly with a goal to make it 3-0 for the Fuel. Ryan Gagnier claimed his second assist of the night with one on that goal. Dilan Peters also grabbed his first assist with the Fuel on the goal.
The fists and penalties started flying as Peters and Wheeling's Matthew Quercia each took four minutes for roughing after a small scuffle at 4:35. At 7:10, Chris Cameron and Raivis Ansons dropped the gloves and each took five minutes for fighting. Ansons took an additional game misconduct penalty after his jersey was removed during the fight.
50 seconds later, Kyle Maksimovich took a slashing penalty that the Fuel were able to kill off.
At 11:26, more penalties were handed out after Peter Laviolette got two minutes for slashing and a ten-minute misconduct while Quercia and Indy's Jon Martin got two minutes each for roughing. Justin Lee took two minutes for slashing at 13:12 on top of that list too. Forty seconds later, Cedric Desruisseaux scored a shorthanded goal to make it 3-1 with Indy still ahead.
Chris Cameron took an additional two minutes for holding at 17:28 to round out the second period.
At 5:09 of the third, Trevor Zins sat for interference but the Fuel were able to kill off the penalty. Just twenty seconds after that penalty ended, Cameron and Laviolette took another two minutes each for roughing.
Firriolo took a tripping penalty at 9:04 but again, the Fuel killed the penalty.
With about three minutes left in the period, Wheeling pulled their goalie in favor of the extra skater but Seamus Malone was able to score on the empty net to make it 4-1 and put the game away for Indy.
The Indy Fuel are back in action at Indiana Farmers Coliseum tomorrow on November 18, 2023 for Hawkins, IN Night against the Kalamazoo Wings.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 17, 2023
- Game Notes: November 17 - Rush at Wichita Thunder - Rapid City Rush
- Third Period Sputter Stops Comeback for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Collins Leads Savannah Past Stingrays - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Bates, Stinil Pace Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Railers Rally to Force OT in 5-4 Loss to Cyclones - Worcester Railers HC
- Grizzlies Lose 4-0 in Iowa - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Down Growlers in Overtime on Brady's Game Winner, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Win Sixth Straight at Home Defeating Americans 5-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Growlers Fall Short 4-3 in OT - Newfoundland Growlers
- K-Wings Come up Just Short, Fall to Walleye on Road - Kalamazoo Wings
- Lions Suffer First Home Defeat of the Season - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Four Fish Score In Friday Night Win Over Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Admirals Fall to Adirondack in Return Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Down Admirals, 5-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Vote Nailers Off The Island With 4-1 Win On Survivor Night - Indy Fuel
- Mechura's Two Goals Power Mariners' Comeback - Maine Mariners
- Jones Shuts Out Grizzlies, Iowa Wins 5th Straight - Iowa Heartlanders
- Weeks Stymies Former Team in 4-1 Indy Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Topple the Railers in OT - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - November 17 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Jacksonville Icemen (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Trade for Blueline Help - Allen Americans
- Gustavs Grigals Loaned Back to Atlanta - Atlanta Gladiators
- Reign Assign Wyatte Wylie to Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Wichita Returns Home Tonight for Series vs. Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Gameday: Friday Night Battle in Iowa - Utah Grizzlies
- Forward Dominick Mersch Returns from AHL's Rochester Americans - Jacksonville Icemen
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Jacksonville Icemen (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Announce Shades' White out Night Presented by Dewitt Law January 27, 2024 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Look for Bounce Back Tonight in Boise. - Allen Americans
- Royals Host Growlers for First Time in Rematch of North Division Final - Reading Royals
- Ghost Pirates Lose in Shootout to Gvl - Savannah Ghost Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.