Fuel Gain Point in Overtime Loss
March 17, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Indy Fuel News Release
INDIANAPOLIS - The Fuel hosted the first place Toledo Walleye for the second weekend in a row. While the Fuel forced overtime late in the game, they ultimately fell to the Walleye 3-2.
Just over two minutes into the first frame, Thomas Ebbing of Toledo opened the scoring with an even-strength goal. At 7:57, Indy's Luc Brown took a slashing penalty that the Fuel killed off.
Those were the only plays that made their way onto the scoresheet. By the end of the period, Toledo was outshooting Indy 12-7.
Gordie Green, who returned to the Walleye's roster just this afternoon, took a slashing penalty at 1:29 of the second period. 27 seconds into the power play for Indy, Andrew Bellant tied the game with Indy's first goal.
The Fuel remained on the power play as Toledo's Brandon Hawkins was called for tripping. Two minutes after that penalty was killed off, Toledo took the lead again with a goal by Hawkins.
About six minutes later, Toledo's Adrien Beraldo took a slashing penalty that was killed off.
Indy's Koletrane Wilson sat for a holding penalty with three minutes to go in the second frame. Chris Cameron also took a tripping penalty that led to almost 30 seconds of 5-on-3 action for Toledo.
Tensions rose between the two teams in the first half of the third period which resulted in an Indy power play after Hawkins was sent to the box again, this time for hooking.
That penalty was killed off but the Fuel and Walleye continued to exchange heated checks while the score remained 2-1 Toledo.
After the Fuel pulled Zach Driscoll from goal, Spencer Watson gave the Fuel life 18:45 into the third with a game-tying goal assisted by Colin Bilek and Bryan Lemos.
With 14 seconds remaining in regulation, with the game tied at two, Wilson took a roughing penalty giving Toledo a power play opportunity that carried into overtime.
The Walleye were able to capitalize on their power play advantage just 57 seconds into the sudden death period. Ryan Cox put the game away for Toledo with the help of Hawkins and Green for a final score of 3-2.
The Fuel return home to Indiana Farmers Coliseum tomorrow Saturday, March 18 against the Fort Wayne Komets for Racing Night.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2023
- Goaltending Lifts Rush Over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush Run Over Oilers, 6-4 - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Earn Texas-Sized Shootout Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Six Unanswered Goals Propel Steelheads Over Solar Bears 6-2 Friday Night - Idaho Steelheads
- Sweet Sixteen: Cyclones Nab St. Patrick's Day Win over Iowa - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cox Lands Impressive Pro Debut in 17th Straight Walleye Win - Toledo Walleye
- Winiecki's Hat Trick and Pendenza's Game-Winner Tames Lions - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Strike Early in Sold-Out Green Ice Game, Komets Take Third - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Fall to Swamp Rabbits in Friday Night Showdown - South Carolina Stingrays
- Shorthanded Goals Sink Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Sylvester Nets 30th; Gladiators Lose to Reading - Atlanta Gladiators
- Tremblay Caps Comeback for 4-3 Overtime Triumph - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Win a Classic on St. Patrick's Day - Worcester Railers HC
- St. Patrick's Day Pot of Gold Goes Cincinnati's Way, 3-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Fuel Gain Point in Overtime Loss - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Edge Admirals in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Purpura Stops 37 In 6-2 Win Over Growlers - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Topped 6-2 by Thunder - Newfoundland Growlers
- Stingrays Sign Pair of Defensemen - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Gladiators Acquire Defenseman Brayden Crowder - Atlanta Gladiators
- Peski/Dipietro Return from AHL, Fossier to Providence - Maine Mariners
- Americans Host Utah on Saint Patrick's Day - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Gameday: Friday Night Showdown in Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs Stingrays (7:05pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Lions Play Host to Everblades - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- KC Mavericks Host St. Patrick's Day Game Tonight against Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Green Ice Is Back for Royals Three-Game Home Series with Gladiators - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.