Fuel Fall to Swamp Rabbits on Friday Night
INDIANAPOLIS - The Fuel hosted the Greenville Swamp Rabbits for the first time since their meeting in the 2021 postseason where Indy earned their first franchise postseason win. Greenville came away with the win tonight, 2-0 after a scoreless first two periods.
The first period began and ended quickly as neither team scored or took a single penalty.
By the end of the period, Indy was outshooting Greenville 13-11 despite the Swamp Rabbits claiming a lot of possession time. In net, Zach Driscoll made a lot of saves that kept the Fuel tied without a goal.
The second period was much like the first with no goals and the first penalty of the game coming with less than two minutes to go in the frame. It was a holding call on Fuel newcomer, Nick Cardelli.
At the end of the second period, the Fuel were outshooting the Swamp Rabbits 28-20.
The penalty carried over into the third period and the Swamp Rabbits were able to capitalize on it with a power play goal by Max Martin just 39 seconds into the frame.
Less than three minutes later, Greenville made it 2-0 with a goal by Alex Ierullo who had an assist on the first goal.
Tanner Eberle took Greenville's first penalty of the game at 7:05 for interference, but it was killed off. With three minutes to go, the Fuel pulled Driscoll from net in favor of an extra skater.
It appeared Greenville scored an empty net goal as a result, but it was called back due to offsides on the play. Time expired on regulation and the Swamp Rabbits won 2-0.
View Release Online
The Indy Fuel return to Indiana Farmers Coliseum tomorrow night as they take on the Kalamazoo Wings for State Fair Night.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 24, 2023
- Americans Fall to Idaho 3-1 - Allen Americans
- Wichita Loses Friday Night in OT to Iowa - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Charge Back, Beat Fort Wayne in a Shootout, 6-5 - Rapid City Rush
- Iowa Comes from Behind to Win OT Thriller, 3-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Fuel Fall to Swamp Rabbits on Friday Night - Indy Fuel
- Topatigh Gets Two Assists, Glads Fall to Mariners - Atlanta Gladiators
- Late Goal Lifts Mavericks Over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Pick up 50th Win Increasing Their Win Streak to Eight Games in 3-1 Win at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Railers Fall in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- K-Wings Down Nailers Behind Cajan's Strong Performance - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Shut Out Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Amazing Win Streak Ends at 18 After Loss to Reading - Toledo Walleye
- Hall of Fame Night Sees Legendary Goaltending Performance - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Blank Everblades 3-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Rally for Improbable OT Win - Maine Mariners
- Hrenak and Swamp Rabbits Blank Fuel to Move into First Place in South Division - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grasso's Hat Trick Lifts Thunder Over Railers, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 24 - ECHL
- Thunder Continues Series Tonight in Iowa - Wichita Thunder
- Kansas City Mavericks Sign Forward Vincent de Mey - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kansas City Mavericks Extend Contract of General Manager and Head Coach Tad O'Had - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stevenson and Maass Re-Assigned from Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizzlies Gameday: Military Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday Report: Swamp Rabbits vs Fuel (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Open Road-Trip with Friday Face-Off in Toledo - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.