Hrenak and Swamp Rabbits Blank Fuel to Move into First Place in South Division
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - David Hrenak's 36-save shutout lead the way for the Greenville Swamp Rabbits to top the Indy Fuel 2-0 on Friday night at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum.
Greenville started its trip to the Midwest with a flurry of early chances, before Indy responded with late-period chances that forced Swamp Rabbits goalie David Hrenak to make numerous saves to keep the game scoreless. The Fuel outshot the Swamp Rabbits 13-11 after the scoreless first period.
The second period saw the fuel continue to generate offensive chances, as they outshot the Rabbits 15-9 in the period to take a 28-20 advantage into the second intermission with the score still tied at 0-0.
After a late second period power-play carried over into the third period, Max Martin broke the deadlock, scoring a power-play snipe for his 12th of the season for the Swamp Rabbits just 39 seconds into the period. Shortly after, at 2:58, Tanner Eberle found Alex Ierullo on the backside post for Ierullo's team-leading 25th goal of the season.
Hrenak made eight saves in the third period to earn a 36-save shutout, the first shutout of his ECHL career.
With the win the Swamp Rabbits extend their win streak to three-straight and improve to 35-19-7-1 while the Fuel fall to 37-22-3-0. The victory lifts the Swamp Rabbits into a 78-point tie with the Jacksonville Icemen for first place in the South Division.
The Swamp Rabbits continue their Central Division road trip on Saturday night, March 25, as they travel to Toledo, Ohio for a 7:15 p.m. meeting with the Toledo Walleye at the Huntington Center.
Swamp Rabbits tickets can be purchased at SwampRabbits.com or at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 24, 2023
- Americans Fall to Idaho 3-1 - Allen Americans
- Wichita Loses Friday Night in OT to Iowa - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Charge Back, Beat Fort Wayne in a Shootout, 6-5 - Rapid City Rush
- Iowa Comes from Behind to Win OT Thriller, 3-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Fuel Fall to Swamp Rabbits on Friday Night - Indy Fuel
- Topatigh Gets Two Assists, Glads Fall to Mariners - Atlanta Gladiators
- Late Goal Lifts Mavericks Over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Pick up 50th Win Increasing Their Win Streak to Eight Games in 3-1 Win at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Railers Fall in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- K-Wings Down Nailers Behind Cajan's Strong Performance - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Shut Out Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Amazing Win Streak Ends at 18 After Loss to Reading - Toledo Walleye
- Hall of Fame Night Sees Legendary Goaltending Performance - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Blank Everblades 3-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Rally for Improbable OT Win - Maine Mariners
- Hrenak and Swamp Rabbits Blank Fuel to Move into First Place in South Division - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grasso's Hat Trick Lifts Thunder Over Railers, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 24 - ECHL
- Thunder Continues Series Tonight in Iowa - Wichita Thunder
- Kansas City Mavericks Sign Forward Vincent de Mey - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kansas City Mavericks Extend Contract of General Manager and Head Coach Tad O'Had - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stevenson and Maass Re-Assigned from Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizzlies Gameday: Military Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday Report: Swamp Rabbits vs Fuel (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Open Road-Trip with Friday Face-Off in Toledo - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.