Thunder Continues Series Tonight in Iowa
March 24, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Wichita Thunder News Release
CORALVILLE, IA - The Wichita Thunder, ECHL affiliate of the NHL's San Jose Sharks, AHL's San Jose Barracuda and powered by Toyota, continues a six-game road trip tonight in Coralville against the Iowa Heartlanders.
Tonight is the second of three meetings this week between the two teams. Wichita leads the season-series, 2-0-0. All-time, the Thunder are 3-1-0 against Iowa and 2-1-0 on the road against the Heartlanders.
On Wednesday, Wichita took a 3-2 overtime win as Michal Stinil scored just 42 seconds into the extra session. Both games this season between the Thunder and the Heartlanders have needed extra time and finished with the same final score. It was Stinil's second overtime game-winner of the season.
With the victory, Wichita moved back into second place in the Mountain Division with 63 points. Iowa sits in seventh place in the Central Division with 46 points.
Cole MacDonald has points in seven-straight games, recording 10 points (4g, 6a) in that span. He is fifth in scoring for defenseman with 44 points, tied for first in power play assists for defenseman with 22, tied for first for defenseman with six power play goals and tied for first in power play points for a defenseman with 28.
Quinn Preston recorded a goal and an assist on Wednesday. He has a goal and an assist in three of his last four games. The Ohio State product has 52 points (22g, 30a) in 52 games this season. Preston is sixth in rookie scoring.
Connor Walters recorded his first goal of the season on Wednesday. He fired a pass to the slot that deflected off a stick and got past Mitch Benson. He had three goals last season after coming to the Thunder from Toledo.
THUNDERBOLTS...Michal Stinil and Cole MacDonald are tied for second with 22 power play assists...Mark Liwiski is third in the league in penalty minutes (170)...Wichita is 19-8-2 when scoring first...Wichita is second at home on the power play (27.9%)...Wichita is sixth overall on the penalty kill (83.1%)...Wichita is 15-4-3 when leading after one...Wichita is 5-1-1 when tied after two
IOWA NOTES - Jake Durflinger recorded his first game-winner of his career on Sunday...Iowa is being outscored 107-89 at home...Iowa is 7-3-3 when leading after one...Iowa is 5-10-5-1 when tied after one...Iowa is 4-19-5 when trailing after one...Iowa is tied for fourth in the league with 17 games past regulation, going 3-13 in OT and 0-1 in a shootout...
Images from this story
Wichita Thunder defenseman Cole MacDonald (right) vs. the Iowa Heartlanders
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 24, 2023
- Americans Fall to Idaho 3-1 - Allen Americans
- Wichita Loses Friday Night in OT to Iowa - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Charge Back, Beat Fort Wayne in a Shootout, 6-5 - Rapid City Rush
- Iowa Comes from Behind to Win OT Thriller, 3-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Fuel Fall to Swamp Rabbits on Friday Night - Indy Fuel
- Topatigh Gets Two Assists, Glads Fall to Mariners - Atlanta Gladiators
- Late Goal Lifts Mavericks Over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Pick up 50th Win Increasing Their Win Streak to Eight Games in 3-1 Win at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Railers Fall in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
- K-Wings Down Nailers Behind Cajan's Strong Performance - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Shut Out Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Amazing Win Streak Ends at 18 After Loss to Reading - Toledo Walleye
- Hall of Fame Night Sees Legendary Goaltending Performance - Wheeling Nailers
- Growlers Blank Everblades 3-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Rally for Improbable OT Win - Maine Mariners
- Hrenak and Swamp Rabbits Blank Fuel to Move into First Place in South Division - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grasso's Hat Trick Lifts Thunder Over Railers, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 24 - ECHL
- Thunder Continues Series Tonight in Iowa - Wichita Thunder
- Kansas City Mavericks Sign Forward Vincent de Mey - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kansas City Mavericks Extend Contract of General Manager and Head Coach Tad O'Had - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stevenson and Maass Re-Assigned from Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizzlies Gameday: Military Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Gameday Report: Swamp Rabbits vs Fuel (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Open Road-Trip with Friday Face-Off in Toledo - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.