Fort Wayne Falls in Road Trip Finale at Dayton
DAYTON, Ohio - The TinCaps lost the finale of their six-game road trip, 4-3, against the Dayton Dragons (Cincinnati Reds affiliate) at Fifth Third Field on Wednesday night.
Second baseman Lee Solomon provided the 'Caps with a pair of two-out, run-scoring hits, however, Fort Wayne finished the game 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left 11 on base.
The Dragons (5-8) took a 1-0 lead in the second inning, but that was their only run off 19-year-old right-handed starter Efraín Contreras. The native of Mexico struck out six while yielding only four hits and a walk across five frames.
The TinCaps (8-6) tied the game in the fourth when catcher Juan Fernandez ripped an RBI double to left-center field to score first baseman Nick Gatewood, who had walked.
The 'Caps then took a brief lead in the sixth. With the score tied, 1-1, Gatewood was at third base via a double and a wild pitch. Solomon came through with a go-ahead single the opposite way into right field that made it 2-1.
Dayton equalized and went back ahead with a pair of runs in the home sixth, and added another in the seventh to lead, 4-2.
Solomon was up in the eighth with two outs and Fernandez at first base when he lined a triple to right-center field that plated Fernandez and trimmed the deficit to one, yet that was as close as Fort Wayne got. Solomon also drew a 10-pitch walk in the game.
Right fielder Agustin Ruiz recorded two hits and two walks in the loss.
The TinCaps begin a six-game homestand at Parkview Field on Thursday.
Thursday, April 18 vs. West Michigan (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Joey Cantillo
- Whitecaps Probable Starter:
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 17, 2019
- Montgomery Shines in Two Inning Rehab Start as Cubs Beat Loons 2-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Fort Wayne Falls in Road Trip Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Loons Fall in Finale to South Bend - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers and Timber Rattlers Suspended Wednesday - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 4-3, Win Series and Home Stand - Dayton Dragons
- Rubber Game of Rattlers and Snappers Series Suspended - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- David Banuelos activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Herrera, Nootbaar Homer in Chiefs Loss to Clinton - Peoria Chiefs
- 20-Game High School Baseball Program Continues Friday at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Swept in Series, Homestand - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Threat of Severe Weather Postpones Wednesday's Game - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels and River Bandits Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Storm Back to Capture Series - Clinton LumberKings
- Sweep: Lugnuts Finish off Whitecaps, 8-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Ryan Proves Too Much for Captains - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 17 at Dayton (Game 14) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Homestand Preview: April 18-20 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Storm Back in Ninth - Kane County Cougars
- Ryan Ties Single-Game Strikeout Record in 10-4 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees Take Third Consecutive Win with 13-Hit Barrage of Cougars - Burlington Bees
- South Bend Cubs to Offer Peanut-Free Suite on May 19 - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers fall to Timber Rattlers 8-0 on Tuesday night - Beloit Snappers
- Cardenas' Inside-The-Park Homer Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps to Unveil POW/MIA Chair at Parkview Field on Friday
- Weathers Returns, and Offense Provides Support in TinCaps Victory
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 20 vs. South Bend (Game 41)
- Fort Wayne vs. Lansing Cancelled by Rain
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 19 vs. Lansing (Game 41)