Ryan Proves Too Much for Captains
(Bowling Green, KY) - Bowling Green Hot Rods (7-7) right-hander Joe Ryan carved up the Lake County Captains (8-5) on Wednesday, tying a Hot Rods strikeout record and helping Bowling Green win the rubber game at Bowling Green Ballpark, 10-4.
Ryan (1-1) struck out 12 Captains across five innings, becoming the fifth Hot Rods hurler to accomplish the feat. Bowling Green's starter struck out the side twice, in the second and the fifth, and retired two men on strikes in his other three innings on the mound. He also only allowed one run on one hit and walked three, en route to his first win of the year.
The Hot Rods supported Ryan with a couple of long balls early. With two outs and nobody aboard in the second, Roberto Alvarez homered to left. Will Benson tied the game with an RBI single in the top of the third, but the Hot Rods responded in the bottom of the inning. Captains starter Juan Mota issued a one-out walk to Bryce Brown and hit Connor Hollis with two outs. Chris Betts then laced a line drive home run over the right-centerfield fence to put Bowling Green back in front, 4-1.
Bowling Green scored for five innings in a row from the second through the sixth. Brown drove in Osmy Gregorio with a sacrifice fly in the fourth and Kaleo Johnson doubled home Betts in the fifth. In the sixth, with Thomas Ponticelli on the mound for Lake County, Jake Palomaki singled in Gregorio and scored on a sacrifice fly to push the Hot Rods' lead to 8-1.
The Captains cut into the seven-run deficit in the eighth with a pair of doubles. Benson and Ruben Cardenas cracked back-to-back RBI doubles. Benson's two-base hit scored Tyler Freeman and Cardenas brought home Benson to trim the Hot Rods' lead to 8-3. Bowling Green then scored two in their half of the inning on a single by Brown and another sacrifice fly by Franco to make it 10-3. Mitch Reeves provided the game's final run with a solo homer in the ninth for Lake County.
Mota (0-2) took the loss for Lake County. The right-hander surrendered six runs on five hits over five innings. He struck out five, walked four and hit one batter.
The Captains will head back home to start a six-game homestand, beginning with a three-game series against the South Bend Cubs that begins on Friday night. First pitch at Classic Park is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
Information about Classic Park or the Captains can be found online at www.captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Affordable ticket packages and group party and picnic options are available now.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 17, 2019
- Montgomery Shines in Two Inning Rehab Start as Cubs Beat Loons 2-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Fort Wayne Falls in Road Trip Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Loons Fall in Finale to South Bend - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers and Timber Rattlers Suspended Wednesday - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 4-3, Win Series and Home Stand - Dayton Dragons
- Rubber Game of Rattlers and Snappers Series Suspended - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- David Banuelos activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Herrera, Nootbaar Homer in Chiefs Loss to Clinton - Peoria Chiefs
- 20-Game High School Baseball Program Continues Friday at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Swept in Series, Homestand - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Threat of Severe Weather Postpones Wednesday's Game - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels and River Bandits Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Storm Back to Capture Series - Clinton LumberKings
- Sweep: Lugnuts Finish off Whitecaps, 8-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Ryan Proves Too Much for Captains - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 17 at Dayton (Game 14) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Homestand Preview: April 18-20 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Storm Back in Ninth - Kane County Cougars
- Ryan Ties Single-Game Strikeout Record in 10-4 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees Take Third Consecutive Win with 13-Hit Barrage of Cougars - Burlington Bees
- South Bend Cubs to Offer Peanut-Free Suite on May 19 - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers fall to Timber Rattlers 8-0 on Tuesday night - Beloit Snappers
- Cardenas' Inside-The-Park Homer Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Captains Promote Roth to Assistant GM, Name Maskey Director of Turf Management
- Official Statement from the Captains Regarding Sunday's Trunk Or Treat Event and COVID-19
- NCAA DIII College World Series Coming to Eastlake in 2024
- Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC Will Begin August 22
- Captains Postpone Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC