Montgomery Shines in Two Inning Rehab Start as Cubs Beat Loons 2-1
South Bend, IN: The South Bend Cubs had some big time help from Chicago Cubs left-handed pitcher Mike Montgomery on their way to a 2-1 series finale win over the Great Lakes Loons on Wednesday night. In his rehab start, Montgomery struck out four batters in two complete innings. The owner of the last pitch thrown in Game 7 of the 2016 World Series looked comfortable on his way back from a lat strain.
Montgomery's night was a huge help to the Cubs getting off to a good start. The tall, lanky lefty got some immediate run support on an RBI sac fly from Andy Weber in the bottom of the 1st inning. Montgomery struck out three batters in the 2nd inning to close his rehab appearance. In his postgame press conference, he said he feels ready to get back to the Big Leagues with the Chicago Cubs.
After Montgomery departed, Buddy Bailey gave way to his right handed piggyback starter Cam Sanders. Sanders shined with five shutout innings and four strikeouts. Through 15 innings pitched this year, Sanders has not given up a run.
Another RBI sac fly in the bottom of the 7th was enough to put away the Loons. A pop fly off the bat of D.J. Artis was flown to the right-center field gap. Drew Avans made the catch and Christopher Morel tagged from third base. Morel scored easily, but Avans' throw sailed over the catcher Jair Camargo. Delvin Zinn and Rafael Narea advanced another 90-feet off of the throwing error.
In the top of the 9th, the Loons picked up one base runner, but Riley McCauley held on and shut the door. McCauley recorded his second save of 2019 and the Cubs celebrated the series win.
With the win, the Cubs are 7-6 on the year and over .500 in time to start a three-game road trip against the Lake County Captains. First pitch from Classic Park tomorrow night is set for 6:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 17, 2019
- Montgomery Shines in Two Inning Rehab Start as Cubs Beat Loons 2-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Fort Wayne Falls in Road Trip Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Loons Fall in Finale to South Bend - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers and Timber Rattlers Suspended Wednesday - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 4-3, Win Series and Home Stand - Dayton Dragons
- Rubber Game of Rattlers and Snappers Series Suspended - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- David Banuelos activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Herrera, Nootbaar Homer in Chiefs Loss to Clinton - Peoria Chiefs
- 20-Game High School Baseball Program Continues Friday at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Swept in Series, Homestand - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Threat of Severe Weather Postpones Wednesday's Game - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels and River Bandits Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Storm Back to Capture Series - Clinton LumberKings
- Sweep: Lugnuts Finish off Whitecaps, 8-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Ryan Proves Too Much for Captains - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 17 at Dayton (Game 14) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Homestand Preview: April 18-20 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Storm Back in Ninth - Kane County Cougars
- Ryan Ties Single-Game Strikeout Record in 10-4 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees Take Third Consecutive Win with 13-Hit Barrage of Cougars - Burlington Bees
- South Bend Cubs to Offer Peanut-Free Suite on May 19 - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers fall to Timber Rattlers 8-0 on Tuesday night - Beloit Snappers
- Cardenas' Inside-The-Park Homer Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs Announce 2020 Weekly Promotional Schedule
- Cubs Food Feud Final Five Voting Now Open
- South Bend Cubs Single Game Tickets on Sale March 11
- Register Now for the 2020 Meijer Baseball Academy
- South Bend Cubs Prepare for Upcoming Season with Call for Fan Photos