Cougars Storm Back in Ninth
GENEVA, Illinois - Down two runs, the Kane County Cougars (8-6) scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth to beat the Burlington Bees (9-5), 5-4, on Wednesday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. The Cougars snapped a three-game losing streak with the victory.
In the top of the first, the Bees struck for a run. Jordyn Adams led off the game with a walk. He reached third on an error by Cougar starter Justin Lewis. The next batter, Livan Soto, singled to drive in Adams and make it 1-0 Bees. The Cougars erased the deficit in the 2nd inning. Alek Thomas collected a one-out single. Eduardo Diaz followed with a double to put runners at second and third. With two outs, Jose Herrera hooked a double inside the right field line, plating both runners and pushing the Cougars ahead 2-1.
In the Bees' third inning, Soto led off with a single. With one out, Francisco Del Valle laced a double to the gap in right center. Cougar outfielder Eduardo Diaz started a relay that gunned out Soto at home, trying to score from first. However, the Bees regained the lead, 3-2, on Nonie Williams' two-run homer a batter later. The Bees added a run in the 7th inning when Del Valle doubled to left to score Spencer Griffin.
The Cougars' game-deciding rally began with one out in the ninth. Facing Bees' right-hander Mayky Perez, Alek Thomas and Eduardo Diaz walked. Eddie Hernandez followed with a single to load the bases. Before Jose Herrera strolled to the plate, Burlington made a pitching change, inserting Ben Morrison into the game. Herrera and Morrison engaged in a 10-pitch battle. Herrera ultimately roped a double down the right field line to tie the game, 4-4. The next batter, Jorge Perez, grounded a ball to shortstop Michael Stefanic. His throw home was late, and the Cougars celebrated the walk-off win.
Wesley Rodriguez (1-0) earned the win for the Cougars after pitching a scoreless ninth inning. Perez (0-1) suffered the loss for Burlington. He was charged with all three runs in the ninth.
The Cougars head to Peoria to begin a three-game series with the Quad Cities River Bandits. The series is being played at Dozer Park due to flooding to the River Bandits' home ballpark in Davenport, Iowa. Game one is scheduled for Thursday night at 6:35 p.m. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 17, 2019
- Montgomery Shines in Two Inning Rehab Start as Cubs Beat Loons 2-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Fort Wayne Falls in Road Trip Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Loons Fall in Finale to South Bend - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers and Timber Rattlers Suspended Wednesday - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 4-3, Win Series and Home Stand - Dayton Dragons
- Rubber Game of Rattlers and Snappers Series Suspended - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- David Banuelos activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Herrera, Nootbaar Homer in Chiefs Loss to Clinton - Peoria Chiefs
- 20-Game High School Baseball Program Continues Friday at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Swept in Series, Homestand - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Threat of Severe Weather Postpones Wednesday's Game - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels and River Bandits Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Storm Back to Capture Series - Clinton LumberKings
- Sweep: Lugnuts Finish off Whitecaps, 8-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Ryan Proves Too Much for Captains - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 17 at Dayton (Game 14) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kernels Homestand Preview: April 18-20 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Storm Back in Ninth - Kane County Cougars
- Ryan Ties Single-Game Strikeout Record in 10-4 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees Take Third Consecutive Win with 13-Hit Barrage of Cougars - Burlington Bees
- South Bend Cubs to Offer Peanut-Free Suite on May 19 - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers fall to Timber Rattlers 8-0 on Tuesday night - Beloit Snappers
- Cardenas' Inside-The-Park Homer Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.