FC Dallas' Road Comeback Falls Short Against Sporting Kansas City
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - FC Dallas' five-match unbeaten streak ended tonight after falling 2-1 to Sporting Kansas City (4-8-4, 16 points) at Children's Mercy Park. Dallas (6-4-5, 23 points) is back in action on Saturday night to host Nashville SC at Toyota Stadium.
FERREIRA CHASING HISTORY
Jesús Ferreira scored his ninth goal of the 2023 season, tied for second in MLS' Golden Boot race. He now has 45 career goals for FC Dallas, one behind Kenny Cooper (46) who is second all-time in goals scored for the franchise. Jason Kreis is the club's all-time leader in goals scored with 91.
FERREIRA FAMILY VS SKC
Jesús Ferreira has been involved in a goal in each of his last four MLS games against Sporting Kansas City (3 goals, 1 assist). The only other Dallas player to record goal contributions in at least four straight games against Kansas City was Jesús' father, David Ferreira, who did so in five straight games from 2009-13.
FC Dallas has scored in each of its last five games in league play. The club has scored six goals in that run. Forward Jesús Ferreira has scored four of the six goals.
FC Dallas Homegrown defenders Collin Smith and Nolan Norris made their MLS debuts registering their first starts for the club. Smith has made 16 appearances for Birmingham Legion FC in the USL Championship and the U.S. Open Cup this season while Norris has five appearances in MLS NEXT Pro play for North Texas SC in 2023. Norris and Smith are the third and fourth FCD players to make their MLS debut for FC Dallas this season joining Geovane Jesus and José Mulato.
Dallas's MLS road record fell to 2-3-3 away from Toyota Stadium in 2023. FCD finished 4-6-7 on the road in 2022.
The match, originally scheduled to kickoff at 7:39PM CT, was delayed for 56 minutes due to inclement weather around Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City, KS.
FC Dallas hosts Nashville SC on Saturday, June 3 for Y'all Means All Night presented by Coca-Cola. The match kicks off at 7:30PM CT on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV, the FC Dallas App, Talk Radio 1190AM and TUDN 1270AM, tickets.
FC Dallas - Jimmy Maurer; Marco Farfan, Sebastien Ibeagha, Nkosi Tafari, Collin Smith (Geovane Jesus - 55'); Alan Velasco (Bernard Kamungo - 83'), Edwin Cerrillo, Nolan Norris (Facundo Quignon - 55'), Jáder Obrian (Herbert Endeley - 83'); Jesús Jiménez (José Mulato - 71'), Jesús Ferreira.
Substitutes not used - Maarten Paes, Sam Junqua, José Martínez, Amet Korça.
Sporting Kansas City - Kendall McIntosh; Logan Ndenbe (Tim Leibold - 64'), Andreu Fontàs, Danny Rosero (Robert Castellanos - 63'), Jake Davis (Graham Zusi - 46' (Khiry Shelton - 71'); Nemenja Radoja; Dániel Sallói, Gadi Kinda (Rémi Walter - 63'), Erik Thommy, Marinos Tzionis; Alan Pulido.
Substitutes not used - John Pulskamp, Roger Espinoza, Felipe Hernández, Stephen Afrifa.
SKC: Gadi Kinda - 41'
SKC: Dániel Sallói (Gadi Kinda) - 60'
DAL: Jesús Ferreira (Facundo Quignon`) - 90'1'
SKC: Logan Ndenbe (caution) - 37'
DAL: Edwin Cerrillo (caution) - 90'+3'
Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 78°F
FC DALLAS POSTGAME QUOTES
Head Coach Nico Estévez
Thoughts on the match...
"Our guys were ready to go, but the weather delay definitely had an impact on our guys. We started off slower than what we wanted, but overall we did a good job to wait and get ready to go. We played well and we did deserve to score more than the lone goal we had today. We talked to the players the other day to see what our next step was to finish games. We created those chances today but at the end of the day soccer is about capitalizing those chances. Sporting KC is one of those opponents that do not need more than one chance to capitalize and that is what they did today."
Thoughts on Nolan Norris and Collin Smith's debut...
"It's something that they were looking forward to for a long time. They've been working hard for the opportunity and it came today. I think they did a very good job. From there they can grow and do better."
On Jesús Ferreira's late goal...
"We talked about moving Nkosi Tafari forward to have more presence in their box. But they slowed the game but it was difficult to get the rhythm to score that goal back to help us get a point. I don't think we read this situation as well as we did the last time."
Defender Nolan Norris
On making his MLS debut...
"It's a proud moment for me and my family, to come to this club at the age of 12 and now to make my debut and start away (from home). The nerves were there five minutes in but once I touched the ball the nerves were free and it was about having fun and playing my game, so I enjoyed it."
On playing in midfield...
"I've started playing the number six position recently but the staff and players have given me full confidence to just go out there and do my thing. That's what I tried to do and hopefully I made a good impression."
Thoughts on the result...
"It's always frustrating to lose, especially in a game where we did have chances. We had moments where we did well in combination and attacking but it's just about being clinical and taking the positives and moving forward to the next one.
Defender Collin Smith
On making his MLS debut...
"If felt great. It was a great experience to getting on the field with my teammates, with the staff, seeing staff, seeing that kind of the environment was enjoyable for me. I was pleased with how the guys kind of took me in, made sure I had very limited nerves going into the game. Unlucky result but, I mean, we put all of our energy into it."
On the week he has had...
"I'm not going to forget it because it went from a simple trip to visit family to turn around and obviously doing what I love doing - my job. I'll never forget this week. It's a huge milestone and I'm always going to remember this. It's definitely going down in the books."
On Nico's message after the match...
"The message is just always keep your head up, keep going because we've had a couple of games where, you know, there're unlucky bounces in the game. There're always a few missed passes but mistakes always happen. It's really about the bounce back and so that's what we're looking forward to this Saturday against Nashville - looking to get the points back."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 1, 2023
- Concacaf Champions League Trophy on the Line as LAFC Hosts Club León at BMO Stadium Sunday, June 4 at 6 PM - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami CF Parts Ways with Phil Neville - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Waives Doneil Henry - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Travels to North Texas to Take on FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- New England Revolution M Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Columbus Crew Celebrate "Soccer for All" Throughout June 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- City for All: St. Louis City SC Makes Citypark Accessible to Fans with Disabilities - St. Louis City SC
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Daniel and Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Álvaro Barreal Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 16 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Announces June Promotions for Matches at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Launch Ninth Annual Military Blitz Day Campaign Presented by Ariat - San Jose Earthquakes
- Miles Robinson Called-Up to USMNT Nations League Roster - Atlanta United FC
- Metro by T-Mobile Kicks off Multi-Year Sponsorship of LAFC as Official Wireless Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Opportunities out Wide: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Drake Callender Called up by USMNT for Training Camp - Inter Miami CF
- Brightline Kicks off Partnership with Orlando City SC and Orlando Pride - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Announce Seventh Sellout of Season for Saturday's Match against Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
- Five Points: Frustration - New York City FC
- Tours of Toyota Stadium and Soccer Center Are Now Available to the General Public - FC Dallas
- Run It Back: 50 Per Cent off Drinks Returns for the Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Moments of Matchday 16 - MLS
- Quakes Earn First Road Win Of The Season, Ebobisse Scores Sixth Goal Of The Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 at Home Wednesday Evening to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Down Dynamo FC 6-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 3-2 Road Win Over Real Salt Lake at America First Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Earns 2-1 Win Over Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- 10-Man Houston Dynamo FC Fall on the Road to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Minnesota United Suffers Narrow 2-1 Loss on the Road at Austin FC - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Fall 3-2 at Home to LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas' Road Comeback Falls Short Against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Falls to New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Announces Roster Decisions for 2024 Season
- FC Dallas Midfielder Alan Velasco Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery
- FC Dallas' Bernard Kamungo Receives U.S. Men's Olympic Team Call-Up
- FC Dallas Playoff Run Comes to an End After Suffering 1-0 Defeat to Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Defeats Seattle Sounders FC 3-1, Forces Decisive Game 3 in Round One