Opportunities out Wide: Ingredients of the Match
The second match of the Charlotte FC's regular season series against the Columbus Crew is underway this Saturday. The Crown got the best of the Crew in Bank of America Stadium but now find themselves as the visitors.
Here are the three ingredients of the match against the Crew:
The talisman of the Columbus Crew is their number ten, Lucas Zelerayán, but he was near not existent when these two sides met in Bank of America Stadium. He had the lowest amount of successful take-ons (0), progressive carries (2), carries into final third (0), and passes into the penalty area (0) in a match so far this season. This was credit to Head Coach Christian Lattanzio's game plan and execution by the players.
Derrick Jones and Brandt Bronico did not leave the Argentine out of their sights, and any time he touched the ball he was swarmed by CLTFC players. Nothing changes in their second encounter of the season. Minimizing Zelarayán's space to progress the ball with his dribblng and passing significantly minimizes the threat of the Crew's attack.
Just ask the Colorado Rapids what happens when you give him free reign... In the Crew's 3-2 midweek win against the Rapids, Zelarayán was involved in every one of the three goals - something the Crown will want to avoid in their visit to Lower.com Field.
Opportunities Out Wide
In addition to staying true to the defensive tactics that worked the last time around, the same applies for the offensive side. As a team that nearly always out possesses opponents due to pushing numbers forward, Columbus's weakness continues to be in transition and particularly in those wide areas.
Charlotte are no strangers to creating transition moments as they are ranked 3rd in the league in most high turnovers created as of last week. The key for Charlotte to make those moments as threatening as possible will be to play it to a wide outlet as soon as they win the ball back because there will be acres of space behind Columbus's wingbacks to exploit.
It was a diagonal pass from Bill Tuiloma into that open space finding Kamil Jóźwiak that ended up creating the game winning goal for the Crown back in April. Those opportunities will continue to be there for the taking and perhaps even more so against a makeshift Crew defense that has a backline consisting of players out of position.
Give Your All
Everyone knows it's been a brutal month for Charlotte in terms of travel and the sheer number of matches they've had to play. They've had to balance a congested schedule that has seen them play twice a week in the midst of several injury woes. Despite the challenges in the scheduling, Christian Lattanzio still demands the same intensity with every match.
Continuing to give their all, to play with urgency, and leaving it all on the pitch is always important but against a side they are even on points with and a direct playoff position competitor the stakes are even higher. Every little bit of energy the team has needs to be used up against the Crew to end this stretch of away matches strong putting themselves in a strong position to make playoffs.
Hey Charlotte FC Fans,
When it comes to Match Day...it's all about the food and Harris Teeter has everything you need. Score big with deals on snacks like: Cheez-it or Pringles. Stop in your Harris Teeter for great savings on Match Day foods.
Harris Teeter, Official Grocery Store of Charlotte FC!
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 1, 2023
- Concacaf Champions League Trophy on the Line as LAFC Hosts Club León at BMO Stadium Sunday, June 4 at 6 PM - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami CF Parts Ways with Phil Neville - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Waives Doneil Henry - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Travels to North Texas to Take on FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- New England Revolution M Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Columbus Crew Celebrate "Soccer for All" Throughout June 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- City for All: St. Louis City SC Makes Citypark Accessible to Fans with Disabilities - St. Louis City SC
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Daniel and Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Álvaro Barreal Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 16 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Announces June Promotions for Matches at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Launch Ninth Annual Military Blitz Day Campaign Presented by Ariat - San Jose Earthquakes
- Miles Robinson Called-Up to USMNT Nations League Roster - Atlanta United FC
- Metro by T-Mobile Kicks off Multi-Year Sponsorship of LAFC as Official Wireless Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Opportunities out Wide: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Drake Callender Called up by USMNT for Training Camp - Inter Miami CF
- Brightline Kicks off Partnership with Orlando City SC and Orlando Pride - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Announce Seventh Sellout of Season for Saturday's Match against Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
- Five Points: Frustration - New York City FC
- Tours of Toyota Stadium and Soccer Center Are Now Available to the General Public - FC Dallas
- Run It Back: 50 Per Cent off Drinks Returns for the Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Moments of Matchday 16 - MLS
- Quakes Earn First Road Win Of The Season, Ebobisse Scores Sixth Goal Of The Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 at Home Wednesday Evening to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Down Dynamo FC 6-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 3-2 Road Win Over Real Salt Lake at America First Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Earns 2-1 Win Over Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- 10-Man Houston Dynamo FC Fall on the Road to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Minnesota United Suffers Narrow 2-1 Loss on the Road at Austin FC - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Fall 3-2 at Home to LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas' Road Comeback Falls Short Against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Falls to New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte FC Stories
- Karol Świderski and Jere Uronen Called up for Last EURO 2024 Qualifiers
- Scott Arfield Demonstrates his Musical Talent with Cover of Zach Bryan #1 Hit
- Charlotte FC Homegrown Nimfasha Berchimas Leads USA to Knockout Round Qualification at 2023 FIFA U-17 World Cup
- Charlotte FC's Mark Bodek Speaks at Best Buddies North Carolina Champion of the Year Gala
- Charlotte FC Homegrown Nimfasha Berchimas Starts, Scores Historic Brace for USA in 2023 FIFA U-17 World Cup