Inter Miami CF Parts Ways with Phil Neville
Inter Miami CF has announced the Club has parted ways with Phil Neville. The team has also announced that it has parted ways with Assistant Coach Jason Kreis. Inter Miami CF Assistant Coach Javier Morales will assume the role as Interim Head Coach effective immediately, while Assistant Coach Darren Powell, Goalkeeper Coach Sebastián Saja, and Assistant Coach and Performance Analyst Alec Scott will remain in their current roles.
"We are and always have been an ambitious Club. Sometimes the path to growth involves difficult decisions and today is one of those moments. We are grateful to Phil for the dedication and tenacity he brought to Inter Miami. His positive contributions are embedded in our team culture and he represented our Club with class and dignity" said Inter Miami CF Managing Owner, Jorge Mas. "I would like to welcome Javi Morales to his new role. Javi has been a key member of our organization since day one and understands our goals."
"When we appointed Phil we knew he would give Inter Miami his all and I have watched him work incredibly hard and with real commitment towards the ambitions we set out for the club. He and his family embraced Miami and he has devoted himself to the drive to bring success to the city and to our fans," said Co-Owner David Beckham. "Phil has made a real contribution to the culture of our club with his qualities as a leader and knowledge as a coach. Sometimes in this game we have to make the toughest decisions and sadly we feel the time is right to make a change. I want to personally thank Phil for his hard work, his passion for our Club and for his integrity as a person."
"This was a difficult decision but one we feel is the best for the Club at this moment. Phil and I started together in 2021 and since then I saw firsthand the hard work, strong foundation and culture he has helped instill at Inter Miami. We are thankful for his and Jason's contributions, highlighted by the empowerment of the Club's next generation of Homegrown talents, and wish them nothing but the best in the future," said Chief Soccer Officer and Sporting Director, Chris Henderson. "We're excited about this opportunity for Javi and look forward to continuing to see his growth at Inter Miami."
"I would like to thank the Inter Miami CF ownership group for their trust and making me a part of this project; the players and staff for their impressive commitment, dedication and hard work; and the fans for their unwavering support for the Club since day one. I'm grateful to have played a part in the growth of this Club and wish Inter Miami CF all the best in the future," said Neville.
Neville was appointed in January 2021 after a three-year stint as the head coach of the England Women's National Team. During his two-and-a-half years with Inter Miami, the team reached the MLS Cup playoffs in 2022 and saw five Academy graduates make their First Team debuts.
Interim Head Coach, Morales joined Inter Miami in early 2019 as an Academy coach. In 2022, he led Inter Miami's U-17 side to the semifinals of the 2022 Generation adidas Cup, a first-place finish in the U-17 East (South) Division and qualified the team for MLS NEXT U-17 playoffs. Ahead of the 2023 season, Morales earned a spot as a First Team assistant coach. Prior to transitioning to coaching, Morales initially joined MLS in 2007 as a player after previously spending the bulk of his career in his native Argentina. Morales made an instant impact. The former midfielder - nicknamed 'El Maestro' - enjoyed a successful 11-year stay in MLS with Real Salt Lake and later on FC Dallas, in which he racked up 255 regular season appearances and 21 playoff appearances, registering a total 53 goals and 92 assists, between 2007 and 2017. In 2008 Morales completed his first full season in MLS, in which he guided RSL to its first-ever MLS Cup Playoffs on the strength of his 15 regular season assists. Then, in his second season in the league, Morales helped RSL clinch the 2009 MLS Cup title, the only one in club history to date.
Inter Miami CF returns to action this Saturday, June 3 when the team hosts D.C. United at DRV PNK Stadium. The match will kick off at 7:30 p.m. ET and tickets for the match are available at InterMiamiCF.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 1, 2023
- Concacaf Champions League Trophy on the Line as LAFC Hosts Club León at BMO Stadium Sunday, June 4 at 6 PM - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami CF Parts Ways with Phil Neville - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Waives Doneil Henry - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Travels to North Texas to Take on FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- New England Revolution M Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Columbus Crew Celebrate "Soccer for All" Throughout June 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- City for All: St. Louis City SC Makes Citypark Accessible to Fans with Disabilities - St. Louis City SC
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Daniel and Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Álvaro Barreal Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 16 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Announces June Promotions for Matches at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Launch Ninth Annual Military Blitz Day Campaign Presented by Ariat - San Jose Earthquakes
- Miles Robinson Called-Up to USMNT Nations League Roster - Atlanta United FC
- Metro by T-Mobile Kicks off Multi-Year Sponsorship of LAFC as Official Wireless Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Opportunities out Wide: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Drake Callender Called up by USMNT for Training Camp - Inter Miami CF
- Brightline Kicks off Partnership with Orlando City SC and Orlando Pride - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Announce Seventh Sellout of Season for Saturday's Match against Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
- Five Points: Frustration - New York City FC
- Tours of Toyota Stadium and Soccer Center Are Now Available to the General Public - FC Dallas
- Run It Back: 50 Per Cent off Drinks Returns for the Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Moments of Matchday 16 - MLS
- Quakes Earn First Road Win Of The Season, Ebobisse Scores Sixth Goal Of The Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 at Home Wednesday Evening to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Down Dynamo FC 6-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 3-2 Road Win Over Real Salt Lake at America First Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Earns 2-1 Win Over Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- 10-Man Houston Dynamo FC Fall on the Road to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Minnesota United Suffers Narrow 2-1 Loss on the Road at Austin FC - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Fall 3-2 at Home to LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas' Road Comeback Falls Short Against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Falls to New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF to Face El Salvador National Team During 2024 Preseason
- Inter Miami CF Sells out of 2024 Season Tickets; Club Announces Single-Match Ticket Presale Details for Limited Remaining Match Tickets
- Inter Miami CF Is Set to Host Third Annual Battle of the Artists Presented by Heinken Silver this Saturday
- Inter Miami CF in Action During November International Window
- U.S. Women's National Team Announces Roster Featuring Stars and New Faces for DRV PNK Stadium Match against China PR