10-Man Houston Dynamo FC Fall on the Road to Vancouver Whitecaps FC
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - Houston Dynamo FC fell to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 6-2 on the road tonight after playing with 10 men for the final 22 minutes of the match.
Vancouver defender Mathías Laborda tumbled to the ground after an altercation with midfielder Nelson Quiñónes in the 69th minute, and the referee showed the Houston attacker a straight red card.
Vancouver took the lead in the opening minute of the match after Brian White capitalized on a clearance. The forward played the ball to an unmarked Pedro Vite who finished at the near post for his third goal of the season.
Dynamo FW Corey Baird scored the equalizer in the eighth minute off a cross from midfielder Adalberto "Coco" Carrasquilla. The Panamanian international found the forward at the far post and the cross just evaded a diving effort from a defender to clear the ball. The forward finished at the near post for his first goal of the season and fourth of the month.
Defender Daniel Steres found forward Amine Bassi for the second Dynamo goal of the evening in the 16th minute. Bassi brought down the long ball with his first touch and created space for an effort that got past a sliding Yohei Takaoka.
Vancouver scored the equalizer two minutes later when Luis Martins found Julian Gressel at the far post. Gressel's first-time finish beat the Dynamo shot stopper for his second goal of the season.
The Whitecaps took the lead again within the first minute of the second half, after Ryan Gauld's shot bounced off the right post and Brian White cleaned up the rebound from near the penalty spot to find the back of the net.
Vancouver scored again 12 minutes later after Ryan Gauld forced a save from Dynamo goalkeeper Steve Clark. The ball fell to Gressel at the near post for his second goal of the match.
The Whitecaps extended their lead to three goals in the 88th minute when Luís Martins' cross from the left side of the penalty box deflected off DF Ethan Bartlow and fell to Sebastian Berhalter, who put the ball in the top left corner of the net for his first goal of the season.
Vancouver scored a sixth goal in stoppage time when Berhalter put in a low cross from the right side of the six-yard box, and Gauld poked the ball into the back of the net for his first goal of the season.
The Dynamo responded to the opening goal in the seventh minute after forward Aliyu Ibrahim dribbled past a defender inside the box, but his effort was saved at the near post. The forward scored his first goal for the Dynamo on May 23 in a victory over Minnesota United FC to advance to the quarterfinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
The Dynamo were denied by the post in the 24th minute after Bassi played a ball into the box for Carrasquilla, the midfielder's bicycle bounced off the near post. The second ball fell to Ibrahim, but his header went over the crossbar.
Houston was denied again in the 32nd minute after Ibrahim got behind the Vancouver backline. Takaoka made the initial save and the ball fell to Baird, but his effort bounced off his teammate and back to Carrasquilla. The midfielder was shoved off the ball inside the box and eventually cleared by the Vancouver backline.
The Dynamo had a chance to cut the Whitecaps' lead in half in the 86th minute when defender Erik Sviatchenko found Franco Escobar running up the right wing. The fellow defender managed an accurate, first-touch shot from the top right corner of the penalty box, but a diving Takaoka was able to secure the ball with both hands.
The Dynamo are back in action on Saturday, June 3 when they travel to Missouri to face St. Louis CITY SC, with kickoff schedule for 7:30 p.m. CT at CITYPARK. Houston also travels to face Chicago Fire FC on Tuesday in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open Cup at SeatGeek Stadium.
Vancouver Whitecaps FC (5-5-5; 20 pts.) 6-2 Houston Dynamo FC (5-6-3; 18 pts)
MLS Regular Season - Match week 16
BC Park - Vancouver, British Columbia
TEAM 1H 2H FT
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 4 6
Houston Dynamo FC 2 0 2
VAN: Pedro Vite 3 (Brian White 1) 1'
HOU: Corey Baird 1 (Adalberto Carrasquilla 1) 8'
HOU: Amine Bassi 6 (Daniel Steres 2) 16'
VAN: Julian Gressel 1 (Luis Martins 2) 18'
VAN: Brian White 6 (unassisted) 46'
VAN: Julian Gressel 2 (unassisted) 59'
VAN: Sebastian Berhalter 1 (unassisted) 88'
VAN: Ryan Gauld 1 (Sebastian Berhalter 1) 90+5'
Vancouver Whitecaps FC: Yohei Takaoka; Luís Martins, Tristan Blackmon, Mathías Laborda, Javain Brown (Ranko Veselinovic 46'); Alessandro Schöpf (Sebastian Berhalter 63'), Andrés Cubas, Julian Gressel (Russell Teibert 72'); Ryan Gauld, Pedro Vite (Déiber Caicedo 79'); Brian White (Sergio Córdova 72')
Unused substitutes: Isaac Boehmer, Karifa Yao, Ryan Raposo, Simon Becher
Total shots: 16 (Ryan Guald 5); Shots on goal: 7 (Julian Gressel and Ryan Gauld tied with 2); Fouls: 12 (Julian Gressel 3); Offside: 3 (Brian White 2); Corner kicks: 3; Saves: 5 (Yohei Takaoka)
Houston Dynamo FC: Steve Clark; Micael, Ethan Bartlow, Daniel Steres (Erik Sviatchenko 79'), Franco Escobar, Héctor Herrera (c) (Iván Franco 89'), Artur (Luís Caicedo 79'), Adalberto Carrasquilla; Corey Baird (Nelson Quiñónes 63'), Aliyu Ibrahim (Thorleifur Úlfarsson 63'), Amine Bassi
Unused substitutes: Andrew Tarbell, Sebastián Ferreira, Chase Gasper, Brooklyn Raines
Total shots: 13 (Aliyu Ibrahim 4); Shots on goal: 7 (Aliyu Ibrahim 3); Fouls: 7 (Adalberto Carrasquilla and Luís Caicedo tied with 2); Offside: 1 (Aliyu Ibrahim); Corner kicks: 2; Saves: 1 (Steve Clark)
VAN: Julian Gressel (caution; foul) 41'
HOU: Micael (caution; foul) 66'
HOU: Nelson Quiñónes (ejection; foul) 69'
HOU: Adalberto Carrasquilla (caution; dissent) 69'
VAN: Mathías Laborda (caution; dissent) 70'
VAN: Sergio Córdova (caution; foul) 79'
HOU: Steve Clark (caution; dissent) 84'
Referee: Mark Allatin
Assistant: Logan Brown
Assistant: Mike Rottersman
Fourth Official: Alain Ruch
VAR: Kevin Stott
Weather: 63 degrees, sunny
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 1, 2023
- Concacaf Champions League Trophy on the Line as LAFC Hosts Club León at BMO Stadium Sunday, June 4 at 6 PM - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami CF Parts Ways with Phil Neville - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Waives Doneil Henry - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Travels to North Texas to Take on FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- New England Revolution M Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Columbus Crew Celebrate "Soccer for All" Throughout June 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- City for All: St. Louis City SC Makes Citypark Accessible to Fans with Disabilities - St. Louis City SC
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Daniel and Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Álvaro Barreal Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 16 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Announces June Promotions for Matches at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Launch Ninth Annual Military Blitz Day Campaign Presented by Ariat - San Jose Earthquakes
- Miles Robinson Called-Up to USMNT Nations League Roster - Atlanta United FC
- Metro by T-Mobile Kicks off Multi-Year Sponsorship of LAFC as Official Wireless Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Opportunities out Wide: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Drake Callender Called up by USMNT for Training Camp - Inter Miami CF
- Brightline Kicks off Partnership with Orlando City SC and Orlando Pride - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Announce Seventh Sellout of Season for Saturday's Match against Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
- Five Points: Frustration - New York City FC
- Tours of Toyota Stadium and Soccer Center Are Now Available to the General Public - FC Dallas
- Run It Back: 50 Per Cent off Drinks Returns for the Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Moments of Matchday 16 - MLS
- Quakes Earn First Road Win Of The Season, Ebobisse Scores Sixth Goal Of The Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 at Home Wednesday Evening to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Down Dynamo FC 6-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 3-2 Road Win Over Real Salt Lake at America First Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Earns 2-1 Win Over Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- 10-Man Houston Dynamo FC Fall on the Road to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Minnesota United Suffers Narrow 2-1 Loss on the Road at Austin FC - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Fall 3-2 at Home to LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas' Road Comeback Falls Short Against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Falls to New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Combine for Five Houston Sports Awards Nominations
- Héctor Herrera Named to 2023 MLS Best XI, Presented by Continental Tire
- Houston Dynamo FC Advance to the Western Conference Final in Front of Sellout Crowd at Shell Energy Stadium
- Houston Dynamo FC Host Sporting Kansas City for a Place in the Western Conference Final
- Houston Dynamo FC Anticipate Largest Crowd of the Year on Sunday for Final Home Game of 2023