New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16
June 1, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - New England Revolution midfielder Carles Gil was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 of the 2023 MLS season.
Gil scored two goals, including the game-tying goal in second-half stoppage time, as part of the club's 3-3 draw against Atlanta United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Gil's first goal came just 23 seconds in the match, which at the time was the fastest goal of the season and tied for the second-fastest goal in the club's history, equaling Kei Kamara's goal against CF Montréal on September 17, 2016. With goals at :23 and 92:30, the Spanish midfielder became the third player in MLS history to score in the 1st minute and the 90th minute or later in a match. The 92:07 between goals was the third-most time between scores in a regular season game in MLS history.
The Revolution scored just 23 seconds into the match when Atlanta's goalkeeper played a misplaced pass, which Gil intercepted and easily slotted home from inside the 18-yeard-box. After a back-and-forth game that saw Atlanta reverse a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 lead, New England entered second-half stoppage time down a goal. However, Gil made the difference again as he picked up the ball outside of the box, dribbled past a defender, and fired his right-footed effort into the back of the net to snatch a point on the road.
Gil's brace was the second of his career with his other multi-goal game coming in just his third career MLS match on March 17, 2019, at Toronto FC. In his career, the Spaniard has now totaled 26 goals and 53 assists, joining Diego Fagúndez (53 goals, 45 assists) and Lee Nguyen (52 goals, 50 assists) as the only players in Revolution history with at least 25 goals and 50 assists. Since joining MLS in 2019, Gil's 79 goal contributions rank as the third most, behind LAFC's Carlos Vela (97) and Nashville's Hany Mukhtar (86). Gil's game-tying goal was just the fourth of his career with his right foot, and his second this season (May 13 at Inter Miami CF).
Gil is the first New England player to win MLS Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire since Adam Buksa on Matchday 32 of 2021. This is the second time Gil has earned the honor in his career, doing so for his performance on Matchday 9 of 2021. The former Landon Donovan MLS MVP becomes the ninth player in Revolution history to win the award multiple times with the club.
New England will go on the road again when they travel to face New York City FC at Yankee Stadium on Matchday 17 on Saturday, June 3 (3:30 p.m. ET, MLS Season Pass).
The MLS Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire is selected each matchday of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio, and online media.
2023 MLS Player of the Matchday
presented by Continental Tire Winners
Matchday Player Club
Matchday 1 Thiago Almada Atlanta United
Matchday 2 Lucas Zelarayán Columbus Crew
Matchday 3 Caleb Wiley Atlanta United
Matchday 4 Thiago Almada Atlanta United
Matchday 5 Jordan Morris Seattle Sounders FC
Matchday 6 Simon Becher Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Matchday 7 Dénis Bouanga Los Angeles Football Club
Matchday 8 Carlos Vela Los Angeles Football Club
Matchday 9 Mikael Uhre Philadelphia Union
Matchday 10 Leonardo Campana Inter Miami CF
Matchday 11 Hany Mukhtar Nashville SC
Matchday 12 Evander Portland Timbers
Matchday 13 Brandon Cambridge Charlotte FC
Matchday 14 Luciano Acosta FC Cincinnati
Matchday 15 Julián Carranza Philadelphia Union
Matchday 16 Carles Gil New England Revolution
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 1, 2023
- Concacaf Champions League Trophy on the Line as LAFC Hosts Club León at BMO Stadium Sunday, June 4 at 6 PM - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami CF Parts Ways with Phil Neville - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Waives Doneil Henry - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Travels to North Texas to Take on FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- New England Revolution M Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Columbus Crew Celebrate "Soccer for All" Throughout June 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- City for All: St. Louis City SC Makes Citypark Accessible to Fans with Disabilities - St. Louis City SC
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Daniel and Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Álvaro Barreal Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 16 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Announces June Promotions for Matches at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Launch Ninth Annual Military Blitz Day Campaign Presented by Ariat - San Jose Earthquakes
- Miles Robinson Called-Up to USMNT Nations League Roster - Atlanta United FC
- Metro by T-Mobile Kicks off Multi-Year Sponsorship of LAFC as Official Wireless Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Opportunities out Wide: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Drake Callender Called up by USMNT for Training Camp - Inter Miami CF
- Brightline Kicks off Partnership with Orlando City SC and Orlando Pride - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Announce Seventh Sellout of Season for Saturday's Match against Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
- Five Points: Frustration - New York City FC
- Tours of Toyota Stadium and Soccer Center Are Now Available to the General Public - FC Dallas
- Run It Back: 50 Per Cent off Drinks Returns for the Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Moments of Matchday 16 - MLS
- Quakes Earn First Road Win Of The Season, Ebobisse Scores Sixth Goal Of The Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 at Home Wednesday Evening to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Down Dynamo FC 6-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 3-2 Road Win Over Real Salt Lake at America First Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Earns 2-1 Win Over Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- 10-Man Houston Dynamo FC Fall on the Road to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Minnesota United Suffers Narrow 2-1 Loss on the Road at Austin FC - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Fall 3-2 at Home to LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas' Road Comeback Falls Short Against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Falls to New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.