Inter Miami CF Falls to New York Red Bulls
MIAMI - Inter Miami CF (5W-10L-0D, 15 points)suffered a 0-1 home defeat to the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday night.
"You've got to dust yourself down and get up," said head coach Phil Neville. "We believe in this group of players, I believe in this group of players, I believe 1000% that they can deliver those passes, those shots, those goals."
Drake Callender started in goal; captain DeAndre Yedlin, Sergii Kryvtsov, Kamal Miller and Negri again started in defense; Benjamin Cremaschi, David Ruiz, Dixon Arroyo, and Nicolás Stefanelli lined up in midfield; Leonardo Campana and Josef Martínez started up front to lead the attack.
Inter Miami Homegrown and Academy product Edison Azcona featured in an MLS matchday squad for the first time this regular season, starting on the bench.
The hosts came out of the gate quickly following a weather-delayed start to the match. Within the first few minutes, the team rapidly countered after successfully defending a counter, with Negri sending Stefanelli in behind the defense, but New York recovered to stifle the chance.
Minutes later, a penalty was given for Inter Miami following a video review that determined Stefanelli was brought down in the box, but the shot from the spot was saved by the New York goalkeeper.
The team continued to pile on the chances throughout the first 45 minutes, with Stefanelli, Martínez and Campana each involving themselves in big opportunities in attack, but the opening goal eluded the team. On the other end, Callender made a handful of important saves to keep the match scoreless for both sides heading into halftime.
Early in the second half, though, New York found the back of the net when a Luquinhas shot rebounded off the post and fell to Tom Barlow, who scored with the second effort to make it 0-1.
Inter Miami continued to push for an equalizer through the remainder of the half, bringing on attacking substitutions and again controlling the bulk of possession. Notably, Azcona came on for his season debut later in the half.
Despite the team's efforts in the remaining minutes, including opportunities late on from Taylor and second-half substitute Shanyder Borgelin, the scoreline remained unchanged and the visitors claimed a 0-1 win.
Inter Miami will now play another home match this Saturday, June 3 when it faces D.C. United at DRV PNK Stadium at 7:30 p.m. ET.
RBNY - Tom Barlow 52'
MIA - Kamal Miller (Yellow Card 70')
RBNY - Kyle Duncan (Yellow Card 9'), Cameron Harper (Yellow Card 61', Red Card 90' + 4'), Andrés Reyes (Yellow Card 70')
Lineups / Substitutions:
Inter Miami CF - GK Drake Callender; D DeAndre Yedlin ©, Sergii Kryvtsov (Harvey Neville 90'), Kamal Miller, Franco Negri; M Benjamin Cremaschi (Edison Azcona 80'), David Ruiz (Ian Fray 58'), Dixon Arroyo, Nicolás Stefanelli (Robert Taylor 58'); F Leonardo Campana (Shanyder Borgelin 80'), Josef Martínez
Unused Substitutes - GK Nick Marsman; D Noah Allen, Chris McVey; F Jake LaCava
New York Red Bulls - GK Carlos Coronel; D Kyle Duncan (Cameron Harper 57'), Andrés Reyes, Sean Nealis ©, John Tolkin; M Frankie Amaya (Cristian Casseres Jr. 46'), Peter Stroud; Luquinhas (Lewis Morgan 62'), Dante Vanzeir (Dru Yearwood 74'), Wikelman Carmona (Tom Barlow 46'); F Cory Burke
Unused Substitutes - GK Ryan Meara; D Hassan Ndam, Dylan Nealis; F Elias Manoel
Details of the Game:
Date: May 31, 2023
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Stadium: DRV PNK Stadium
MIA - 62.4%
RBNY - 37.6%
MIA - 6
RBNY - 18
MIA - 8
RBNY - 1
MIA - 7
RBNY - 8
MIA - 9
RBNY - 16
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 1, 2023
- Concacaf Champions League Trophy on the Line as LAFC Hosts Club León at BMO Stadium Sunday, June 4 at 6 PM - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami CF Parts Ways with Phil Neville - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Waives Doneil Henry - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Travels to North Texas to Take on FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- New England Revolution M Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Columbus Crew Celebrate "Soccer for All" Throughout June 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- City for All: St. Louis City SC Makes Citypark Accessible to Fans with Disabilities - St. Louis City SC
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Daniel and Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Álvaro Barreal Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 16 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Announces June Promotions for Matches at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Launch Ninth Annual Military Blitz Day Campaign Presented by Ariat - San Jose Earthquakes
- Miles Robinson Called-Up to USMNT Nations League Roster - Atlanta United FC
- Metro by T-Mobile Kicks off Multi-Year Sponsorship of LAFC as Official Wireless Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Opportunities out Wide: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Drake Callender Called up by USMNT for Training Camp - Inter Miami CF
- Brightline Kicks off Partnership with Orlando City SC and Orlando Pride - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Announce Seventh Sellout of Season for Saturday's Match against Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
- Five Points: Frustration - New York City FC
- Tours of Toyota Stadium and Soccer Center Are Now Available to the General Public - FC Dallas
- Run It Back: 50 Per Cent off Drinks Returns for the Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Moments of Matchday 16 - MLS
- Quakes Earn First Road Win Of The Season, Ebobisse Scores Sixth Goal Of The Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 at Home Wednesday Evening to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Down Dynamo FC 6-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 3-2 Road Win Over Real Salt Lake at America First Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Earns 2-1 Win Over Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- 10-Man Houston Dynamo FC Fall on the Road to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Minnesota United Suffers Narrow 2-1 Loss on the Road at Austin FC - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Fall 3-2 at Home to LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas' Road Comeback Falls Short Against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Falls to New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF to Face El Salvador National Team During 2024 Preseason
- Inter Miami CF Sells out of 2024 Season Tickets; Club Announces Single-Match Ticket Presale Details for Limited Remaining Match Tickets
- Inter Miami CF Is Set to Host Third Annual Battle of the Artists Presented by Heinken Silver this Saturday
- Inter Miami CF in Action During November International Window
- U.S. Women's National Team Announces Roster Featuring Stars and New Faces for DRV PNK Stadium Match against China PR