Sounders FC Falls 1-0 at Home Wednesday Evening to San Jose
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC (8-6-2, 26 points) fell 1-0 to the San Jose Earthquakes (6-5-4, 22 points) on Wednesday evening on the Emerald Queen Casino Pitch at Lumen Field. Jeremy Ebobisse scored the game's lone goal as Seattle dropped the second match of a three-game homestand.
Ebobisee found the net in the 48th minute for his second goal in as many matches against Seattle. A corner kick was deflected to the feet of the striker, who finished from close range to put the visitors up early in the second half.
Following Wednesday's match, the Rave Green face a quick turnaround against archrival Portland Timbers on Saturday, June 3 at Lumen Field (1:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV - Watch Free, FOX, 93.3 KJR FM, Sirius XM FC, El Rey 1360 AM). The match is part of a Seattle-Portland doubleheader featuring both cities' topflight men's and women's soccer teams at Lumen Field, with a single ticket providing access to the full day. Following Sounders FC's match at 1:30 p.m. PT, OL Reign hosts the Portland Thorns at 5:00 p.m. PT.
Following tonight's loss, Sounders FC remains atop the MLS Western Conference with 26 points, one point ahead of St. Louis and LAFC. Both St. Louis (three matches) and LAFC (four matches) have games in-hand over Sounders FC. Next up for Seattle: a pivotal Cascadia Cup matchup at Lumen Field against archrival Portland on Saturday, June 3 at 1:30 p.m. PT, the first of a two-match doubleheader the features both Seattle's men's and women's teams facing off against their Portland counterparts (OL Reign hosts the Portland Thorns at 5:00 p.m. PT).
On home turf at Lumen Field in 2023, Seattle has five wins, three losses and one draw through nine MLS contests in SoDo.
On the heels of tonight's result, Sounders FC moves to 15-13-9 all-time against San Jose, including a 10-7-3 mark at Lumen Field. San Jose's seven wins at Lumen Field are the most road victories against Sounders FC in the club's MLS era (since 2009).
Tonight's win was San Jose's first road victory of 2023 (1-5-2).
San Jose had lost just one its last five MLS matches against the Rave Green (1-3-1), including going unbeaten in both of last season's meetings (one win, one draw).
San Jose forward Jeremy Ebobisse scored his third goal against Sounders FC (all competitions) with his strike in the 48th minute of play.
Entering the match as a 58th-minute substitute, forward Raúl Ruidíaz made his return from an injury layoff that dates back to April 15. The Peruvian had been battling a hamstring strain. He remains Seattle's second all-time leading scorer across all competitions with 75 goals, trailing current teammate Fredy Montero by four strikes.
Kelyn Rowe also made his return from injury tonight as a substitute, entering the match in the 73rd minute of play, marking his first minutes since suffering a knee sprain at Real Salt Lake on April 29.
Seattle Head Coach Brian Schmetzer made four changes to his starting XI this evening following Saturday's 1-0 win over the New York Red Bulls. Xavier Arreaga rotated in for Yeimar Gómez Andrade at centerback, while Nouhou replaced Cody Baker (concussion protocol) at left-back. Josh Atencio replaced João Paulo in central midfield (suspension), while Dylan Teves stepped in for the injured Jordan Morris (left adductor strain).
Seattle Sounders FC 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 1
Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Venue: Emerald Queen Casino Pitch at Lumen Field
Referee: Ramy Touchan
Assistants: Cameron Blanchard, Jeffrey Greeson
Fourth Official: Brandon Stevis
VAR: Malik Badawi
Weather: 60 degrees and clear
SJ - Jeremy Ebobisse (Rodrigues, Cristian Espinoza) 48'
SEA - Alex Roldan (caution) 19'
SEA - Jackson Ragen (caution) 43'
SJ - Paul Marie (caution) 66'
SJ - Jackson Yueill (caution) 77'
SEA - Josh Atencio (caution) 86'
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC - Stefan Frei; Alex Roldan, Jackson Ragen, Xavier Arreaga, Nouhou (Kelyn Rowe 73'); Albert Rusnák (Fredy Montero 73'), Josh Atencio, Dylan Teves (Reed Baker-Whiting 58'), Nico Lodeiro, Léo Chú; Héber (Raúl Ruidíaz 58')
Substitutes not used: Stefan Cleveland, Yeimar, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Sota Kitahara, Travian Sousa*
*Tacoma Defiance player on short-term agreement
Total shots: 23
Shots on goal: 8
San Jose Earthquakes - Daniel De Sousa Brito; Paul Marie (Daniel Munie 72'), Tanner Beason, Miguel Trauco, Rodrigues; Carlos Gruezo, Jackson Yueill (Michael Baldisimo 89'), Jamiro Monteiro (Ousseni Bouda 89'); Cristian Espinoza, Jeremy Ebobisse, Benji Kikanovic (Tommy Thompson 72')
Substitutes not used: JT Marcinkowski, Jack Skahan, Cameron Cilley, Will Richmond
Total shots: 9
Shots on goal: 3
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 1, 2023
- Concacaf Champions League Trophy on the Line as LAFC Hosts Club León at BMO Stadium Sunday, June 4 at 6 PM - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami CF Parts Ways with Phil Neville - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Waives Doneil Henry - Minnesota United FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Travels to North Texas to Take on FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- New England Revolution M Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Columbus Crew Celebrate "Soccer for All" Throughout June 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- City for All: St. Louis City SC Makes Citypark Accessible to Fans with Disabilities - St. Louis City SC
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Daniel and Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Álvaro Barreal Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 16 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Announces June Promotions for Matches at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Launch Ninth Annual Military Blitz Day Campaign Presented by Ariat - San Jose Earthquakes
- Miles Robinson Called-Up to USMNT Nations League Roster - Atlanta United FC
- Metro by T-Mobile Kicks off Multi-Year Sponsorship of LAFC as Official Wireless Partner - Los Angeles FC
- Opportunities out Wide: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Drake Callender Called up by USMNT for Training Camp - Inter Miami CF
- Brightline Kicks off Partnership with Orlando City SC and Orlando Pride - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Announce Seventh Sellout of Season for Saturday's Match against Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
- Five Points: Frustration - New York City FC
- Tours of Toyota Stadium and Soccer Center Are Now Available to the General Public - FC Dallas
- Run It Back: 50 Per Cent off Drinks Returns for the Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Moments of Matchday 16 - MLS
- Quakes Earn First Road Win Of The Season, Ebobisse Scores Sixth Goal Of The Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 at Home Wednesday Evening to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Down Dynamo FC 6-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 3-2 Road Win Over Real Salt Lake at America First Field on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Earns 2-1 Win Over Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- 10-Man Houston Dynamo FC Fall on the Road to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- Minnesota United Suffers Narrow 2-1 Loss on the Road at Austin FC - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Fall 3-2 at Home to LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas' Road Comeback Falls Short Against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Falls to New York Red Bulls - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Announces 2023 Team Awards
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 to LAFC in Western Conference Semifinals to End 2023 Campaign
- Sounders FC Hosts LAFC Sunday Night in Western Conference Semifinals Clash
- Sounders Spirit Visible in Seattle as the Rave Green Prepare to Host Western Conference Semifinals
- Sounders FC Hosts LAFC in Massive Western Conference Semifinals Match this Sunday, with a Can't-Miss Atmosphere for Fans