Fast Start Leads Cyclones Past Oilers
CINCINNATI, OH - Two first period goals sparked the Cincinnati Cyclones (16-5-3) to a 4-1 win over the Tulsa Oilers (13-7-5) Wednesday at U.S. Bank Arena. The loss extended Tulsa's winless skid in December to six games (0-5-1).
The Cyclones grabbed a 2-0 first period lead with two different 2-on-1 rushes they converted on. Jesse Schultz set up Brady Vail for the first goal 12:15 into the game, and Alex Wideman found Schultz for the second Cincinnati marker three minutes later.
Tulsa cut its deficit to one when Kyle Rhodes fired a shot through a screen and into the net from the point, giving the Oilers its first power play goal in the last six games. More importantly, Tulsa closed the gap to 2-1 entering the third period.
Russian forward Vas Glotov added an insurance goal for the Cyclones midway through the third with the Oilers scrambling to clear the defensive zone to make it 3-1, and Justin Vaive added an empty net goal to cap the scoring.
Tulsa finishes off its six-game road trip against the Central Division with games Friday and Saturday at Indiana Farmers Coliseum against the Indy Fuel. Catch all the action on The Sports Animal radio network, www.tulsaoilers.com or ECHL.TV, with coverage starting at 6:15pm CT.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 12, 2018
- Shootout Victory Gives Rays Fourth Straight Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Taylor's Two Goals Power Kalamazoo Past Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Shorthanded Glads Earn Hard Fought Point in Shootout Loss to Stingrays - Atlanta Gladiators
- Houser Backstops 'Clones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Big Second Period Leads the Railers to a 3-2 Home Win over Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Fast Start Leads Cyclones Past Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Taylor Nets 200th ECHL Goal as K-Wings Top Beast 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Punish Americans in the Third - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Drop Monarchs, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Capsize Mariners 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Swept in St. John's - Maine Mariners
- Zach Nastasiuk, Jeremy Helvig Return to Everblades from Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Steve McParland Returns to Idaho from Loan - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 12 - ECHL
- D Steve Johnson Signs PTO with Hershey - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Announces Three Roster Moves - Wichita Thunder
- Alex Kile Returned on Loan from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Tulsa Oilers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Americans Face Wheeling Tonight in Kelly Cup Finals Rematch - Allen Americans
- Nailers vs. Americans Game Day Snap Shot, December 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Glads Sign Former NHLer Jared Ross - Atlanta Gladiators
- Krushelnyski Recalled from Loan by Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Steelheads Begin Three-Game Set Wednesday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brian Ward Recalled to AHL's Binghamton Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Midweek Tilt Takes K-Wings to Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Ernst, Schneider to Rejoin Mavericks - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.