D Steve Johnson Signs PTO with Hershey
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and Lehigh Valley Phantoms, announced Wednesday defenseman Steve Johnson has agreed to a professional tryout contract (PTO) with the AHL's Hershey Bears. Johnson has three goals (9 pts.) this campaign, tied with Nick Luukko for the most tallies among team blue liners. Johnson posted a plus-six rating in two games last weekend as the Royals swept the league-best Newfoundland Growlers Dec. 7-8. In November, Johnson scored two goals and eight points in 13 games.
The University of Minnesota graduate generated 40 points (6g) in 119 NCAA games. He played in every game over his final two collegiate seasons and helped the Golden Gophers win the B1G regular season championship three times.
The Los Angeles Kings selected Johnson in the fourth round, 120th overall, of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He is the fifth Royals player to earn an AHL call-up this season.
Johnson played the first four games of his professional career with Ontario (AHL) after completing his senior season at Minnesota.
The Royals return home for a Weekend of Giving Fri., Dec. 14 - Sun., Dec. 16 with games at Santander Arena on three straight days vs. Allen, pres. by the Salvation Army and Met-Ed. The Weekend of Giving features a clothing drive, toy drive and food drive, plus the team's annual Teddy Bear Toss Sat., Dec. 15 at 7:00 p.m. with all proceeds on $5 tickets going back to the local Salvation Army on Community Night. The money raised and good donated with stay locally in Reading and Berks County.
Need to Know: Weekend of Giving events vs. Allen Americans
Fri., Dec. 14 at 7:00 p.m.: Clothing Drive, 4-for-48 Family Pack (4 tickets, 4 burgers, 4 sodas for $48)
Sat., Dec. 15 at 7:00 p.m.: Community Night with $5 tickets (all proceeds to Salvation Army), Teddy Bear Toss, Food Drive, Holiday Ornament Giveaway to the first 2,000 fans, Royals will wear Ugly Christmas Sweater jerseys
Sun., Dec. 16 at 5:00 p.m.: Toy Drive at Santander Arena, plus have a personal meet-and-greet with SpongeBob SquarePants with the Royals SpongeBob VIP Package as he visits Santander Arena. The Royals will wear SpongeBob jerseys and Allen will wear Patrick Star jerseys.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 12, 2018
- Shootout Victory Gives Rays Fourth Straight Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Taylor's Two Goals Power Kalamazoo Past Brampton - Brampton Beast
- Shorthanded Glads Earn Hard Fought Point in Shootout Loss to Stingrays - Atlanta Gladiators
- Houser Backstops 'Clones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Big Second Period Leads the Railers to a 3-2 Home Win over Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Fast Start Leads Cyclones Past Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Taylor Nets 200th ECHL Goal as K-Wings Top Beast 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Punish Americans in the Third - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Drop Monarchs, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Capsize Mariners 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Swept in St. John's - Maine Mariners
- Zach Nastasiuk, Jeremy Helvig Return to Everblades from Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Steve McParland Returns to Idaho from Loan - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 12 - ECHL
- D Steve Johnson Signs PTO with Hershey - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Announces Three Roster Moves - Wichita Thunder
- Alex Kile Returned on Loan from Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Tulsa Oilers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Americans Face Wheeling Tonight in Kelly Cup Finals Rematch - Allen Americans
- Nailers vs. Americans Game Day Snap Shot, December 12 - Wheeling Nailers
- Glads Sign Former NHLer Jared Ross - Atlanta Gladiators
- Krushelnyski Recalled from Loan by Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Steelheads Begin Three-Game Set Wednesday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brian Ward Recalled to AHL's Binghamton Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Day: Midweek Tilt Takes K-Wings to Brampton - Kalamazoo Wings
- Ernst, Schneider to Rejoin Mavericks - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals' First-Ever Education Day Game January 7 at 10:30 a.m.
- Ginder Named Royals' Business Development Manager
- Royals Extend Head Coach Kirk MacDonald's Contract
- Chris Powell Joins Royals as Dir. of Corporate Sales and Sponsorships
- Royals' MacDonald Named ECHL Equipment Manager of the Year