'Dogs Pitchers Fan 17 in a 4-2 Loss to Trenton
Portland, Maine - The Trenton Thunder (33-30) rallied for two runs in the top of the eighth and prevailed 4-2 over the Sea Dogs (23-33) on Friday night at Hadlock Field.
With the game tied 2-2 in the eighth, Robinson Leyer (L, 1-1) walked the bases loaded to begin the inning. Jordan Weems entered the game and struck out Isiah Gilliam, but allowed the game-winning hit on an RBI single from Brandon Wagner. Two batters later Francisco Arcia walked with the bases loaded to extend the lead to 4-2.
It was the Sea Dogs who took an early lead in the ballgame, scoring twice off of Albert Abreu in the bottom of the first. After an infield single and error by Abreu put runners at the corners for Portland with no one out, Tommy Joseph and Joey Curletta hit back-to-back singles to give the Sea Dogs a 2-0 lead after one.
Trenton scored their first run on an RBI single by Rashad Crawford to score Max Burt in the third inning off of Matthew Kent.
The Thunder tied it off of Kent on an RBI single by Zack Zehner in the fifth.
The Thunder bullpen combined to work six scoreless innings of relief. James Reeves went three innings and fanned five. Trevor Lane (W, 4-2) worked 1.1 innings and struck out three. Braden Bristo (S, 1) closed things out with a perfect final 1.2 innings with three strikeouts. The Thunder staff combined to strikeout 14 Sea Dogs hitters.
Portland had chances in the sixth and eighth. The 'Dogs had runners at the corners with nobody out against Reeves in the sixth but couldn't score. Then in the eighth, they loaded the bases with one out, but Bristo struck out Nick Lovullo and Jarren Duran to end the inning. The Sea Dogs finished 3-for-18 with runners in scoring position.
Thunder starter Albert Abreu allowed two runs on five hits over three innings while walking two and striking out three.
Kent allowed two runs on six hits in six innings. He walked two and struck out a career-high 11, which also matched a Sea Dogs season-high by a single pitcher.
Weems struck out six over two scoreless innings of relief for Portland. The 17 strikeouts combined by Kent and Weems tied a season-high for the Sea Dogs.
The Sea Dogs and Trenton Thunder (Yankees affiliate) continue their series with a 6:00 PM first pitch on Saturday night at Hadlock Field. RHP Konner Wade (4-4, 3.21) takes on Trenton RHP Shawn Semple (0-2, 6.66). Radio coverage on the WPEI U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network begins at 5:45 PM. The game is available on the tune-in app and MiLB.TV.
Tickets for Saturday's game are available at 207-879-9500 or seadogs.com. Book your nine-inning vacation today!
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 23, 2019
- RubberDucks Again Go 10 to Top Squirrels - Akron RubberDucks
- 'Dogs Pitchers Fan 17 in a 4-2 Loss to Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Blanked by Cats in Pitcher's Duel - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Late Comeback Holds up in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Fall to Ducks in Extras for Second Straight Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Spanberger's Single Wins It for Fisher Cats in 11 Innings - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Senators on Friday - Erie SeaWolves
- Brady Goes the Distance and Blanks Baysox - Altoona Curve
- Senators Work out of Jams, Win 2-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Williams Homers, Fightins Fall 6-2 at Hartford - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Halt Baysox, 7-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Serven and the Boz Keep Goats' Hopes Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Erie SeaWolves at Harrisburg Senators - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Bowie Baysox and Guardian Protection to Donate to Family Crisis Center of Prince George's County - Bowie Baysox
- Zac Lowther Named EL Postseason All-Star - Bowie Baysox
- Chatham and Dalbec Named League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- Chris Gittens Named to Season Ending Eastern League All-Star Team - Trenton Thunder
- Santiago Espinal Voted to Full Season All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Oliva Garners All-Eastern League Honors - Altoona Curve
- Moniak, Hall Named Eastern League Season-Ending All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Mazeika Named to 2019 Eastern League Season-Ending All-Star Team - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Three SeaWolves Named Eastern League Season-Ending All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Team Announced - EL
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #129: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-38, 61-67) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (28-34, 59-70) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 23rd vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Set for Final Home Games of 2019 - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.