RubberDucks Again Go 10 to Top Squirrels
For the second consecutive night, the Akron RubberDucks topped the Richmond Flying Squirrels in 10 innings, winning 4-3 at Canal Park on Friday, with the winning run coming on Trenton Brooks' run-scoring double leading off the inning.
With the game tied 3-3 entering the bottom of the 10th inning, Akron outfielder Trenton Brooks lined a double over centerfielder Heliot Ramos' to score designated extra-inning runner Nolan Jones from second base.
Adam Scott started for Akron, going five innings, allowing two runs on five hits and two walks while fanning eight. He allowed both runs in the fourth inning. Joey Bart hit a leadoff home run and Zach Houchins singled and stole second, scoring on Johneshwy Fargas' single. Robert Broom relieved Scott in the sixth and threw three scoreless, hitless innings that included two strikeouts. Argenis Angulo blew his third save in the ninth when Jin-De Jhang hit a two-out, pinch-hit RBI single. In the 10th, Angulo fanned the first two hitters and induced a groundout to get the win.
Akron managed eight hits, including four extra-base hits. Trenton Brooks led the way, going 3-for-4 with two doubles, a walk, and the game-winning run batted in. Akron got on board first in the third inning when Jones walked and went to third on Brooks' first double, then scored on Alex Call's sacrifice fly. In the fifth inning trailing 2-1, Cleveland Indians' rehabbing outfielder Bradley Zimmer launched his first home run of the year to right field to tie the game. Akron would go up 3-2 in the sixth inning. Mitch Longo doubled and went to third on a flyout. Andruw Monasterio walked as did catcher Logan Ice, but ball four to Ice was a wild pitch and Longo came in to score.
Bradley Zimmer went 1-for-4 with a home run in his third rehab appearance with the Ducks this week. He is hitting .400 (4-of-10) with 2 2B, a HR, and 3 RBI.... Adam Scott's eight strikeouts are his most in 12 Double-A starts...Broom has seven consecutive scoreless appearances...Since the All-Star Break, Broom has allowed one earned run in 20.1 IP (0.44 ERA)...Brooks had his second three-hit game with the Ducks (other: 8/10) and he has 16 multi-hit games in Double-A...Akron now leads Richmond 6-4 in the season series and 4-2 at Canal Park...Akron has played three consecutive extra-inning games for the second time in 2019 (6/23-25) and have won consecutive extra-inning games for the first time this season...Akron is now 5-6 in extras at home and 9-10 on the year...Time of Game: 3:03...Attendance: 7,411.
On the Pond
The Ducks and Flying Squirrels will meet in game three of their four-game set at 7:05 p.m. Saturday at Canal Park. The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeartRadio channel, and the TuneIn Radio App, and available on MiLB.TV. LHP Sam Hentges (2-12, 5.49) will start for Akron against Richmond's RHP Ryan Halstead (2-5, 3.52).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 23, 2019
- RubberDucks Again Go 10 to Top Squirrels - Akron RubberDucks
- 'Dogs Pitchers Fan 17 in a 4-2 Loss to Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Blanked by Cats in Pitcher's Duel - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Late Comeback Holds up in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Fall to Ducks in Extras for Second Straight Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Spanberger's Single Wins It for Fisher Cats in 11 Innings - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Senators on Friday - Erie SeaWolves
- Brady Goes the Distance and Blanks Baysox - Altoona Curve
- Senators Work out of Jams, Win 2-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Williams Homers, Fightins Fall 6-2 at Hartford - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Halt Baysox, 7-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Serven and the Boz Keep Goats' Hopes Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Erie SeaWolves at Harrisburg Senators - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Bowie Baysox and Guardian Protection to Donate to Family Crisis Center of Prince George's County - Bowie Baysox
- Zac Lowther Named EL Postseason All-Star - Bowie Baysox
- Chatham and Dalbec Named League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- Chris Gittens Named to Season Ending Eastern League All-Star Team - Trenton Thunder
- Santiago Espinal Voted to Full Season All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Oliva Garners All-Eastern League Honors - Altoona Curve
- Moniak, Hall Named Eastern League Season-Ending All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Mazeika Named to 2019 Eastern League Season-Ending All-Star Team - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Three SeaWolves Named Eastern League Season-Ending All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Team Announced - EL
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #129: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-38, 61-67) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (28-34, 59-70) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 23rd vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Set for Final Home Games of 2019 - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Akron RubberDucks Introduce Primetime Surf 'N' Turf Meal Package for December 14
- Akron RubberDucks' to Offer Week-Long Black Friday Deals, Starting November 23rd
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Safe, Socially-Distanced Watch Party for St. Vincent-St. Mary vs. Archbishop Hoban Football Game September 25
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Third "Swing for Your Swag" Event Sunday, September 20
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Second Movie Night September 18 Featuring Black Panther