Oliva Garners All-Eastern League Honors
CURVE, Pa. - Altoona Curve outfielder Jared Oliva has been selected as an Eastern League End-of-Season All-Star, the league announced on Friday afternoon.
The all-league team was voted on by Eastern League managers, coaches and media personnel. The selection is the first end-of-season all-star nomination of Oliva's career.
Oliva, a seventh-round draft pick by the Pirates in 2017 out of the University of Arizona, is currently fourth in the Eastern League with a .289 batting average, sixth with a .783 OPS and .362 on-base percentage while ranking fifth on the circuit with 118 hits and 66 runs scored. His 33 stolen bases are the second-best total in the league. Since June 3, Oliva has led the Eastern League with a .343 batting average and .408 on-base percentage to boost his season average from .188 to .289.
Defensively, the Santa Clarita, Calif. native has served as the Curve's primary center fielder. He has not committed an error in 103 games and 272 total chances in Altoona's outfield, which is the most games and defensive opportunities without an error among all outfielders in Minor League Baseball.
Oliva is currently ranked by MLB.com as the Pirates' No. 11 prospect and is in his first Double-A season.
This year marks the 10th straight season the Curve were represented by at least one player in the league's season-ending all-star selections.
The full 2019 Eastern League All-Star Team is listed below:
Catcher: Patrick Mazeika (Binghamton)
First Base: Chris Gittens (Trenton)
Second Base: Santiago Espinal (New Hampshire)
Third Base: Bobby Dalbec (Portland)
Shortstop: C.J. Chatham (Portland)
Outfielders: Jose Azocar (Erie), Mickey Moniak (Reading) and Jared Oliva (Altoona)
Designated Hitter: Darick Hall (Reading)
Utility Player: Isaac Paredes (Erie)
Right-Handed Starting Pitcher: Matt Manning (Erie)
Left-Handed Starting Pitcher: Zac Lowther (Bowie)
Relief Pitcher: Aaron Barrett (Harrisburg)
The Altoona Curve, 2010 and 2017 Eastern League Champions, have been the Double-A affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates since 1999. For tickets or more information, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office. Additionally, the Stockyard Team Store is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on non-gamedays and online 24/7/365.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 23, 2019
- RubberDucks Again Go 10 to Top Squirrels - Akron RubberDucks
- 'Dogs Pitchers Fan 17 in a 4-2 Loss to Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Blanked by Cats in Pitcher's Duel - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Late Comeback Holds up in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Fall to Ducks in Extras for Second Straight Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Spanberger's Single Wins It for Fisher Cats in 11 Innings - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Senators on Friday - Erie SeaWolves
- Brady Goes the Distance and Blanks Baysox - Altoona Curve
- Senators Work out of Jams, Win 2-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Williams Homers, Fightins Fall 6-2 at Hartford - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Halt Baysox, 7-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Serven and the Boz Keep Goats' Hopes Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Erie SeaWolves at Harrisburg Senators - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Bowie Baysox and Guardian Protection to Donate to Family Crisis Center of Prince George's County - Bowie Baysox
- Zac Lowther Named EL Postseason All-Star - Bowie Baysox
- Chatham and Dalbec Named League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- Chris Gittens Named to Season Ending Eastern League All-Star Team - Trenton Thunder
- Santiago Espinal Voted to Full Season All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Oliva Garners All-Eastern League Honors - Altoona Curve
- Moniak, Hall Named Eastern League Season-Ending All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Mazeika Named to 2019 Eastern League Season-Ending All-Star Team - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Three SeaWolves Named Eastern League Season-Ending All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Team Announced - EL
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #129: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-38, 61-67) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (28-34, 59-70) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 23rd vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Set for Final Home Games of 2019 - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- Free Food Giveaway at PNG Field on October 13 and 20
- Altoona Curve Hosting Fall Beer Festival on October 17
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
- Pirates Partner with Curve for Alternate Training Site
- Curve Set Attendance Policies, Entertainment for July 4 Fireworks