Brady Goes the Distance and Blanks Baysox
BOWIE, Md. - Altoona Curve left-handed starter Sean Brady led a 7-0 victory over the Bowie Baysox at Prince George's Stadium with a nine-inning, complete-game shutout.
Brady's (Win, 4-12) effort was the first complete game that spanned nine innings for the Curve (64-64, 29-33) since Mitch Keller threw a one-hitter in Game 1 of the Eastern League Division Series on September 7, 2017 against the Baysox (71-59, 41-21) in the same stadium.
Chris Sharpe provided all the run support Brady required in the fourth inning when he hit a solo home run to left field. Bowie starting pitcher Alex Wells (Loss, 8-4) had retired each of his first 10 batters faced before Sharpe's blast.
Wells struck out Logan Hill looking to start the fifth before the Curve posted a six-run inning. Bligh Madris and Jerrick Suiter connected on back-to-back singles to set up an RBI double down the left field line by Jason Delay, which scored Madris. Then Wells plunked Jesse Medrano to fill the bases.
Adrian Valerio put Wells on the ropes with a two-run double into the left field corner before Sharpe delivered the knockout blow to Bowie's lefty on a two-run double of his own. Wells, who started the day with a 2.40 ERA, was removed with one out in the fifth and was charged with a seventh run when Sharpe scored two hitters later on a double-steal with Jared Oliva.
Brady ducked around seven base hits by the Baysox, including six singles, during his 110-pitch performance. Bowie recorded at least one hit in four of the first five innings but Brady used three double plays to stay out of danger. He sat down 11 straight hitters from the end of the fifth through the first out of the ninth. Only one Bowie baserunner got to third base, which was in the second inning after a broken-bat single from Mason McCoy but a lineout, twin-killer to Valerio at second halted the threat.
The Curve pitched their 16th scoreless game of 2019, matching the Baysox for the most in the Eastern League and tied a team record previously set in 2015. Brady's full-game effort was the third complete-game shutout of the season by a Curve pitcher to join seven-inning outings by James Marvel and Domingo Robles.
The series against the Baysox continues Saturday at 6:35 p.m. with left-hander Cam Vieaux (3-3, 2.27) starting for Altoona against Bowie right-hander Mike Baumann (4-2, 2.31).
The final homestand for the Curve kicks off on Monday at PNG Field. For tickets or more information about upcoming promotions, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office. Additionally, the Stockyard Team Store is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., during every home game and online 24/7/365.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 23, 2019
- RubberDucks Again Go 10 to Top Squirrels - Akron RubberDucks
- 'Dogs Pitchers Fan 17 in a 4-2 Loss to Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Blanked by Cats in Pitcher's Duel - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Late Comeback Holds up in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Fall to Ducks in Extras for Second Straight Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Spanberger's Single Wins It for Fisher Cats in 11 Innings - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Senators on Friday - Erie SeaWolves
- Brady Goes the Distance and Blanks Baysox - Altoona Curve
- Senators Work out of Jams, Win 2-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Williams Homers, Fightins Fall 6-2 at Hartford - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Halt Baysox, 7-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Serven and the Boz Keep Goats' Hopes Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Erie SeaWolves at Harrisburg Senators - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Bowie Baysox and Guardian Protection to Donate to Family Crisis Center of Prince George's County - Bowie Baysox
- Zac Lowther Named EL Postseason All-Star - Bowie Baysox
- Chatham and Dalbec Named League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- Chris Gittens Named to Season Ending Eastern League All-Star Team - Trenton Thunder
- Santiago Espinal Voted to Full Season All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Oliva Garners All-Eastern League Honors - Altoona Curve
- Moniak, Hall Named Eastern League Season-Ending All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Mazeika Named to 2019 Eastern League Season-Ending All-Star Team - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Three SeaWolves Named Eastern League Season-Ending All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Team Announced - EL
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #129: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-38, 61-67) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (28-34, 59-70) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 23rd vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Set for Final Home Games of 2019 - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Altoona Curve Stories
- Altoona Curve Announce Game Times for 2022 Season at Peoples Natural Gas Field
- Nate Bowen Named Sixth General Manager in Altoona Curve Franchise History
- Altoona Drops Season Finale on Late Bowie Rally
- MacGregor Dazzles in Altoona Victory on Thursday Night
- Baysox Overcome Late Cruz Home Run to Hand Altoona Extra-Inning Loss