Ponies Blanked by Cats in Pitcher's Duel
Manchester, NH - The Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-39, 61-68) fell to the New Hampshire Fisher Cats 1-0 in 11 innings on Friday night at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium. Fisher Cats right fielder Chad Spanberger had the walk-off RBI single off of Blake Taylor in the eleventh.
Mickey Jannis was outstanding in his start, allowing five hits over eight with one walk and five strikeouts in the no decision. New Hampshire (29-34, 60-70) RHP Thomas Hatch allowed just three hits over seven with no walks and four strikeouts.
The Ponies had two major offensive chances. In the second, Patrick Mazeika and Jeremy Vasquez singled. They were bunted over by Mike Paez setting up second and third with one out. Jacob Zanon then hit a soft groundout to short and Dustin Houle struck out looking and the runners were stranded in scoring position.
In the top of the tenth, the Ponies loaded the bases with none out against LHP Danny Young. The Fisher Cats then brought in RHP Vinny Nittoli to face Mike Paez, who grounded into a 6-2-3 double play. With runners on second and third and two out, Zanon struck out looking to end the inning.
Taylor (0-1) pitched both a scoreless ninth and tenth, as he went two and a third allowing just the one hit to Spanberger with one walk and three strikeouts in the loss. Nittoli (3-2) pitched two perfect innings of relief with three strikeouts getting the win.
Jeremy Vasquez, called up today from St. Lucie, got his first career double-a hit in his first at-bat, driving a single to left. Vasquez would punch a single to right in the fourth, finishing 2-3 with a walk in his Ponies debut. Patrick Mazeika, named to the 2019 Eastern League Season-Ending All-Star Team Friday, also had two hits.
The two teams continue their four-game series Saturday evening with first pitch at 7:05PM on Newsradio 1290 WNBF and on the Binghamton Rumble Ponies channel on TuneIn. The Horizons Federal Credit Union pregame show begins at 6:50PM.
POSTGAME NOTES: The Rumble Ponies have lost 10 of their last 11...They have also dropped five in a row to the Fisher Cats...Binghamton did not have an extra-base hit in the game...Spanberger now has 4 RBI over the first two games of the series and 56 for the year.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 23, 2019
- RubberDucks Again Go 10 to Top Squirrels - Akron RubberDucks
- 'Dogs Pitchers Fan 17 in a 4-2 Loss to Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Blanked by Cats in Pitcher's Duel - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Late Comeback Holds up in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Fall to Ducks in Extras for Second Straight Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Spanberger's Single Wins It for Fisher Cats in 11 Innings - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- First Place 'Wolves Fall to Senators on Friday - Erie SeaWolves
- Brady Goes the Distance and Blanks Baysox - Altoona Curve
- Senators Work out of Jams, Win 2-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Williams Homers, Fightins Fall 6-2 at Hartford - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Halt Baysox, 7-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Serven and the Boz Keep Goats' Hopes Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Erie SeaWolves at Harrisburg Senators - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Bowie Baysox and Guardian Protection to Donate to Family Crisis Center of Prince George's County - Bowie Baysox
- Zac Lowther Named EL Postseason All-Star - Bowie Baysox
- Chatham and Dalbec Named League All-Stars - Portland Sea Dogs
- Chris Gittens Named to Season Ending Eastern League All-Star Team - Trenton Thunder
- Santiago Espinal Voted to Full Season All-Star Team - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Oliva Garners All-Eastern League Honors - Altoona Curve
- Moniak, Hall Named Eastern League Season-Ending All-Stars - Reading Fightin Phils
- Mazeika Named to 2019 Eastern League Season-Ending All-Star Team - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Three SeaWolves Named Eastern League Season-Ending All-Stars - Erie SeaWolves
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Team Announced - EL
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #129: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-38, 61-67) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (28-34, 59-70) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 23rd vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Set for Final Home Games of 2019 - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- Rumble Ponies Welcome New Owner as City Announces 23-Year Lease Extension for Double-A Mets
- Ponies Blanked by Fightins in Season Finale
- Mauricio Goes Deep in Ponies Loss to Fightins
- Ponies Fall to Fightins on Friday Night
- Ponies Halt Skid with Win over Fightins