Cubs Sweep Twinbill over Chasers
Storm Chasers outfielder Elier Hernandez clubbed two-run home runs in each game of Wednesday's doubleheader, including a big fly as a pinch hitter in a 5-3 game one defeat, while Iowa designated hitter Ian Happ tallied four hits and drove in five runs in the Cubs' 6-3 nightcap triumph as part of a twinbill sweep over Omaha at Werner Park.
Iowa clubbed three homers in the series opener, with 3B Robel Garcia 's second-inning solo shot opening the scoring. After Omaha 3B Erick Mejia evened the game with an RBI single in the third, the Cubs would immediately answer in the fourth via 1B Jim Adduci's three-run roundtripper to center to open up a 4-1 lead. C Taylor Davis ' solo blast in the fifth later extended that advantage to four before Hernandez homered in the seventh to cut the deficit to two, though the Storm Chasers were not able to close the distance any further.
Cubs starter Adbert Alzolay (5.0 IP, 3 H, R, ER, 0 BB, 6 K) earned his first victory of the year, while reliever Dillon Maples (0.1 IP, K) notched his first save. Omaha starter Heath Fillmyer (7.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 5 K) suffered the defeat in a seven-inning complete game effort.
Iowa would waste no time scoring in the nightcap, plating two in the opening frame thanks in part to Happ's RBI double to right. Two innings later, Happ went deep with a two-run blast to double the margin to four prior to bringing across two more scores courtesy of a two-run single to right to make it 6-0. Hernandez then left the yard for the second time Wednesday in the bottom of the fourth to cut the deficit to 6-2. SS Offerman Collado 's sacrifice fly in the sixth later narrowed the Cubs' lead to 6-3.
Happ (4-4, 2 R, 2 2B, HR, 5 RBI) collected four hits, including three extra-base hits, over four at-bats in the nightcap. Mejia, meanwhile, collected at least one knock in each contest, including a two-hit effort in game one, to up his hit streak to ten. Hernandez became the fifth Storm Chasers batter to homer in back-to-back games this year.
Cubs starter Colin Rea (5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 3 K) earned his fifth victory, with righty Matt Carasiti notching a two-inning save. Omaha right-hander Kyle Zimmer (2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K) suffered the defeat, with southpaw Tim Hill (2.0 IP, H, 2 K) following with two shutout frames.
The two teams are set to continue their four-game set versus Iowa on Thursday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 6:35pm CT. Omaha is expected to give the ball to RHP Josh Staumont (0-2, 2.49), while Iowa is anticipated to send RHP Matt Swarmer (4-4, 5.15) to the hill.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Cubs Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Dodgers Neutralized in New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express RHP Cy Sneed Flirts with Perfection in 4-0 Win - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Sweeps Twin Bill - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Wallop Nashville, 10-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Matches Strikeout Record in Home Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Sneed's Cy-Worthy Performance Stops Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Hernandez, Baby Cakes Blow Away Dodgers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats End Bees Winning Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats complete seven-run comeback but lose late - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Doom despite Kieboom - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sheffield Shoves, Court Belts Decisive Home Run in One-Run Tacoma Victory - Tacoma Rainiers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (17-27) vs. Memphis Redbirds (22-23) - Nashville Sounds
- Hits Fall for Reno, Not for Chihuahuas in Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Break Records, Extend Win Streak in El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (22-23) at Nashville Sounds (17-27) - Memphis Redbirds
- Happy 200th, Memphis $2.00 Tickets for Saturday's Fireworks Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Reyes de Plata Return Home, Pound Albuquerque 9-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Aviators Fly by Isotopes in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Avelino triples twice in series-opening victory over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- From rain to Rainiers: Tacoma washes away Fresno's hopes on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Miller Flashes Tools in Rainiers Victory against Fresno in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno's Eighth Knocks down Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Leyba's Five RBIs Send Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Clip 'Cakes, 6-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Outshine Missions 11-4 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- 3 Chasers Players Named to USA Baseball's Premier12 Roster
- 13 Omaha Alums Chasing World Series Ring
- Mejia, Machado Earn Omaha Player & Pitcher of the Year Honors
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer