Redbirds Wallop Nashville, 10-0
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Tyler O'Neill, Kramer Robertson, and Tommy Edman all homered and combined for eight hits and all 10 Memphis RBI, and Rangel Ravelo extended his hitting streak to 17 games in a 10-0 Memphis Redbirds (23-23) thumping of the Nashville Sounds (Rangers) Wednesday night in Nashville, Tenn.
Edman finished 3-for-5 with his fifth home run of the season, a walk, and four RBI, and O'Neill cracked his eighth home run in 15 games with the Redbirds. Seven of those home runs have come against Nashville. Robertson added his first Triple-A home run, a three-run shot in the fourth inning after O'Neill's blast in the third. Edman's long ball also plated three.
Ravelo singled in the eighth inning, his final at-bat of the night, to move his hitting streak to 17 games. He is three shy of tying the franchise record. During his streak, Ravelo is hitting .468 (29-62).
Daniel Ponce de Leon moved to 4-2 on the season after tossing 5.0 shutout innings, allowing just three hits. He struck out six and walked three. Chris Ellis, Hunter Cervenka, and Chasen Shreve finished the game with 4.0 shutout innings.
Ponce de Leon has won 10 of his last 14 decisions at the Triple-A level.
John Nogowski was 2-for-5 with a double and two runs scored, and Andrew Knizner, Ramon Urias, and Robertson also scored twice.
O'Neill jumped right on Nashville (17-28) in the top of the first, singling home the game's first run, and he homered in the third. Robertson's three-run blast in the fourth made it 5-0, and Edman's three-run shot ahead of an O'Neill RBI double blew the game open at 9-0.
Edman added his fourth RBI in the seventh with a single to right field that plated Nogowski.
Cervenka got a double play to end the seventh inning, worked a perfect eighth, and then gave the ball to Shreve who tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to dash any hopes of a Nashville comeback.
Three of Memphis' five highest-scoring games of the season have come against the Sounds.
The Redbirds are in Nashville through Friday night before returning to AutoZone Park on Saturday to start a nine-day, 10-game homestand through Sunday, June 2.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Saturday, May 25 at 6:35 p.m.: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game
Sunday, May 26 at 6:35 p.m.: special Memorial Day edition of postgame fireworks presented by Tennessee Lottery; Memorial Day Weekend Cookout specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/memorialday; Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air
Monday, May 27 at 1:05 p.m. (doubleheader): Memorial Day doubleheader (one ticket is good for both games); Memorial Day Cookout specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/memorialday
Wednesday, May 29 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, May 30 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs
Friday, May 31 at 7:05: Star Wars Night featuring specialty ticket options for Darth Bader Bobblehead or Light Sword at www.memphisredbirds.com/starwarsnight; All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket option featuring a two-hour all-you-can-eat beef sliders buffet available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat
Saturday, June 1 at 6:35 p.m.: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Margaritaville Night with free leis, live Jimmy Buffett cover music, and more
Sunday, June 2 at 2:05 p.m.: Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Cubs Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Dodgers Neutralized in New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express RHP Cy Sneed Flirts with Perfection in 4-0 Win - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Sweeps Twin Bill - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Wallop Nashville, 10-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Matches Strikeout Record in Home Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Sneed's Cy-Worthy Performance Stops Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Hernandez, Baby Cakes Blow Away Dodgers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats End Bees Winning Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats complete seven-run comeback but lose late - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Doom despite Kieboom - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sheffield Shoves, Court Belts Decisive Home Run in One-Run Tacoma Victory - Tacoma Rainiers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (17-27) vs. Memphis Redbirds (22-23) - Nashville Sounds
- Hits Fall for Reno, Not for Chihuahuas in Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Break Records, Extend Win Streak in El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (22-23) at Nashville Sounds (17-27) - Memphis Redbirds
- Happy 200th, Memphis $2.00 Tickets for Saturday's Fireworks Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Reyes de Plata Return Home, Pound Albuquerque 9-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Aviators Fly by Isotopes in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Avelino triples twice in series-opening victory over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- From rain to Rainiers: Tacoma washes away Fresno's hopes on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Miller Flashes Tools in Rainiers Victory against Fresno in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno's Eighth Knocks down Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Leyba's Five RBIs Send Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Clip 'Cakes, 6-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Outshine Missions 11-4 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night
- Triple-A Baseball, Allegiant Announce Historic On-Field Jersey Partnership
- Redbirds, "I Love Memphis" Partner for $5 Tickets for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Ponce de Leon Named Pacific Coast League Player of the Month