Hernandez, Baby Cakes Blow Away Dodgers
Elieser Hernandez allowed one hit in six innings and had 12 strikeouts to equal the New Orleans single-game club record as the Baby Cakes toppled the Oklahoma City Dodgers, 9-1.
Hernandez, who overpowered Oklahoma City in taking a no-hitter into the seventh inning on May 6, struck out the side in order in the first and fourth innings on Wednesday night. Hernandez fanned Zach Reks to lead off the sixth and tie the team record, but missed out on claiming the mark for himself when the next two hitters popped out.
The only Dodgers hit came on Shane Peterson's soft grounder leading off the second inning, which neither Matt Snyder nor Isan Diaz was able to corral. Hernandez (3-1) also walked three and was removed after making 93 pitches, but not before lowering his league-leading ERA to 1.07 while earning his third consecutive victory.
Riley Ferrell, making his first appearance with New Orleans on a major league rehab assignment, struck out three more in the seventh but walked three as the Dodgers pushed across a run in the eighth to break up the shutout bid. Jeff Brigham struck out the final four batters of the game to bring the Baby Cakes' total to 19, a new franchise record for a nine-inning game.
Isan Diaz, Lewis Brinson and JT Riddle all homered for the Baby Cakes, who broke the game open by sending nine batters to the plate in the sixth inning and scoring five times. Riddle added two doubles, and Snyder had a pair of run-scoring hits.
Mitchell White (0-2) struck out eight in 5 1/3 innings in his second start for Oklahoma City, but took the loss after yielding five runs and six hits.
The Dodgers and Baby Cakes continue the four-game set on Thursday at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Cubs Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Dodgers Neutralized in New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express RHP Cy Sneed Flirts with Perfection in 4-0 Win - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Sweeps Twin Bill - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Wallop Nashville, 10-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Matches Strikeout Record in Home Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Sneed's Cy-Worthy Performance Stops Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Hernandez, Baby Cakes Blow Away Dodgers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats End Bees Winning Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats complete seven-run comeback but lose late - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Doom despite Kieboom - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sheffield Shoves, Court Belts Decisive Home Run in One-Run Tacoma Victory - Tacoma Rainiers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (17-27) vs. Memphis Redbirds (22-23) - Nashville Sounds
- Hits Fall for Reno, Not for Chihuahuas in Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Break Records, Extend Win Streak in El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (22-23) at Nashville Sounds (17-27) - Memphis Redbirds
- Happy 200th, Memphis $2.00 Tickets for Saturday's Fireworks Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Reyes de Plata Return Home, Pound Albuquerque 9-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Aviators Fly by Isotopes in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Avelino triples twice in series-opening victory over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- From rain to Rainiers: Tacoma washes away Fresno's hopes on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Miller Flashes Tools in Rainiers Victory against Fresno in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno's Eighth Knocks down Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Leyba's Five RBIs Send Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Clip 'Cakes, 6-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Outshine Missions 11-4 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.