Iowa Sweeps Twin Bill
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (28-19) clubbed four home runs as they swept a twin bill over the Omaha Storm Chasers (20-26), Wednesday at Werner Park. Iowa took Game 1 5-3 and Game 2 6-3.
Robel Garcia gave Iowa the first lead of the day with a homer to center in the second of Game 1. Omaha would quickly lock the game in the third, but the long ball helped Iowa take back the game. Jim Adduci hit a towering 479-foot shot to center to put the I-Cubs ahead 4-1 in the fourth, before Taylor Davis cranked a solo shot in the fifth. The Storm Chasers rallied for two runs in the seventh but couldn't close the gap.
Making his second start of the season with Iowa, Adbert Alzolay claimed his first win after allowing one run on three hits through 5.0 frames. He struck out six without walking a batter.
Ian Happ led the charge in the nightcap, going 4-for-4 with two runs, two doubles and one home run, while tying a career high with five RBI. Iowa grabbed two early runs in the first on a Happ RBI double and a bases-loaded groundout from Dixon Machado. Happ hit a two-run homer in the fourth, before knocking in another pair in the fourth with a single.
Elier Hernandez broke the shutout in the fourth with a two-run shot off Colin Rea and the home team plated another in the sixth. Rea improved to 5-1 with the win after allowing three earned runs on seven hits through 5.0 innings.
- In Game 2, Wynton Bernard walked in all three plate appearances.
- Iowa has won more games at Werner Park (6 wins) this season than Omaha (5 wins).
- Iowa improved to 17-5 on the road with the pair of wins.
Iowa and Omaha play game three of the set Thursday at Werner Park with a 6:35 p.m. scheduled first pitch. Follow the action on AM 940, TuneIn radio or www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Cubs Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Dodgers Neutralized in New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express RHP Cy Sneed Flirts with Perfection in 4-0 Win - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Sweeps Twin Bill - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Wallop Nashville, 10-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Matches Strikeout Record in Home Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Sneed's Cy-Worthy Performance Stops Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Hernandez, Baby Cakes Blow Away Dodgers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats End Bees Winning Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats complete seven-run comeback but lose late - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Doom despite Kieboom - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sheffield Shoves, Court Belts Decisive Home Run in One-Run Tacoma Victory - Tacoma Rainiers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (17-27) vs. Memphis Redbirds (22-23) - Nashville Sounds
- Hits Fall for Reno, Not for Chihuahuas in Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Break Records, Extend Win Streak in El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (22-23) at Nashville Sounds (17-27) - Memphis Redbirds
- Happy 200th, Memphis $2.00 Tickets for Saturday's Fireworks Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Reyes de Plata Return Home, Pound Albuquerque 9-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Aviators Fly by Isotopes in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Avelino triples twice in series-opening victory over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- From rain to Rainiers: Tacoma washes away Fresno's hopes on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Miller Flashes Tools in Rainiers Victory against Fresno in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno's Eighth Knocks down Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Leyba's Five RBIs Send Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Clip 'Cakes, 6-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Outshine Missions 11-4 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.