Aces Break Records, Extend Win Streak in El Paso
El Paso, Texas - Home runs have been the subject of discussion as of late for the Reno Aces baseball team. Reno has hit more home runs than any team in Pacific Coast League history over a four-game span. With five homers today, the Aces have combined for 21 home runs since Sunday and have won three out of their last four games. The 9-1 victory today was carried by the long ball. Yasmany Tomas, Caleb Joseph, Cody Decker, Domingo Leyba, and Tim Locastro all homered. Taylor Widener turned in the best Triple-A start of his career (5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 8 K). The win improves Widener to a record of 3-3 this season and improves the Aces to 19-27. The Aces have won four of their last five games and three consecutive contests.
Leyba got the power bats started today with a homer in the top of the first inning to give the Aces a 1-0 advantage. Reno extended their lead to two on Leyba's 14th double of the season and saved their best for the top fifth. The Aces plated four runs in the fifth with a solo shot from Locastro, a two-run homer from Tomas and a RBI single from Joseph. El Paso's lone run of the ballgame came via a solo home run against Widener in the bottom of the fifth. Armed with a six-run lead, the visiting Aces added three more in the seventh to put the game away. Braden Shipley will take the hill for manager Chris Cron tomorrow night. First pitch from Southwest University Park is scheduled for 6:05 p.m.
Top Performers - Reno
Taylor Widener (5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 8 K)
Domingo Leyba (2-for-3, 2B, HR)
Caleb Joseph (3-for-5, HR)
Top Performers - El Paso
A.J. Kennedy (1-for-4, HR)
Luis Perdomo (1.0 IP, 2 K, 0 R)
Robert Stock (1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 K)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Thursday May 23 El Paso Chihuahuas RHP Braden Shipley vs. LHP Kyle McGrath 6:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Homer Record: With five home runs hit today, the Reno Aces have broken the modern-day Pacific Coast League record for most home runs hit in consecutive days previously set in 1958. Reno hit 5 homers Sunday, 10 on Monday, 1 on Tuesday, and 5 today. Yasmany Tomas leads the charge with six over the last four days and Kevin Cron has three.
Cody Decker: Cody Decker was added to the Aces roster this morning, filling the roster spot of Ildemaro Vargas who was recalled by the Arizona Diamondbacks. Decker had not appeared in a game with Reno since May 5. That changed with a pinch-hit appearance in the top of the seventh inning. Decker blasted a no-doubt home run on a Fernando Rodriguez Jr. fastball. The blast was Decker's 199th career homer, more than any active player in affiliated Minor League Baseball.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Cubs Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Dodgers Neutralized in New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express RHP Cy Sneed Flirts with Perfection in 4-0 Win - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Sweeps Twin Bill - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Wallop Nashville, 10-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Matches Strikeout Record in Home Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Sneed's Cy-Worthy Performance Stops Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Hernandez, Baby Cakes Blow Away Dodgers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats End Bees Winning Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats complete seven-run comeback but lose late - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Doom despite Kieboom - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sheffield Shoves, Court Belts Decisive Home Run in One-Run Tacoma Victory - Tacoma Rainiers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (17-27) vs. Memphis Redbirds (22-23) - Nashville Sounds
- Hits Fall for Reno, Not for Chihuahuas in Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Break Records, Extend Win Streak in El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (22-23) at Nashville Sounds (17-27) - Memphis Redbirds
- Happy 200th, Memphis $2.00 Tickets for Saturday's Fireworks Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Reyes de Plata Return Home, Pound Albuquerque 9-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Aviators Fly by Isotopes in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Avelino triples twice in series-opening victory over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- From rain to Rainiers: Tacoma washes away Fresno's hopes on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Miller Flashes Tools in Rainiers Victory against Fresno in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno's Eighth Knocks down Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Leyba's Five RBIs Send Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Clip 'Cakes, 6-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Outshine Missions 11-4 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.