Sneed's Cy-Worthy Performance Stops Missions
ROUND ROCK - Express starting pitcher Cy Sneed came within five outs of throwing a perfect game as Round Rock blanked the Missions 4-0 on Wednesday night to move back into first place in the American Southern Division.
Sneed entered the game sporting a 13.50 ERA in his three starts this season, which included an outing at Wolff Stadium earlier this month in which he failed to record an out in the third inning before being lifted.
Cory Spangenberg lined a clean double into the left field corner with one out in the eighth inning to spoil's Sneed's bid for perfection. Sneed was lifted after eight innings, needing only 86 pitches. He was bidding to become only the fourth pitcher in PCL history to throw a nine-inning perfect game.
Round Rock struck early against Missions starter Bubba Derby (0-3). Yordan Alvarez slugged a two-run homer in the first inning with two outs to give the Express a 2-0 advantage.
A.J. Reed and Taylor Jones then greeted Derby with back-to-back homers to begin the second inning. It was the first time in his career that Derby allowed three homers in one outing.
A quartet of San Antonio relievers blanked the Express after Derby was pulled following 3.2 innings of work. It was right-hander's first appearance since May 8 after being placed on the injured list.
Mauricio Dubon extended his season-high hitting streak to seven games with a ninth inning single, the only other base runner for the Missions on the evening.
Travis Shaw played seven innings at third base in the first game of his MLB rehab assignment. The left-handed hitter was 0-for-3 at the plate.
The Missions were one of only two remaining teams in the PCL that had not been blanked.
NEXT: RH Jimmy Nelson (2-0 3.77) vs. RH Forrest Whitley (0-2, 10.48) 7:05 PM
KONO 860 AM
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Cubs Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Dodgers Neutralized in New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express RHP Cy Sneed Flirts with Perfection in 4-0 Win - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Sweeps Twin Bill - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Wallop Nashville, 10-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Matches Strikeout Record in Home Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Sneed's Cy-Worthy Performance Stops Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Hernandez, Baby Cakes Blow Away Dodgers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats End Bees Winning Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats complete seven-run comeback but lose late - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Doom despite Kieboom - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sheffield Shoves, Court Belts Decisive Home Run in One-Run Tacoma Victory - Tacoma Rainiers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (17-27) vs. Memphis Redbirds (22-23) - Nashville Sounds
- Hits Fall for Reno, Not for Chihuahuas in Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Break Records, Extend Win Streak in El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (22-23) at Nashville Sounds (17-27) - Memphis Redbirds
- Happy 200th, Memphis $2.00 Tickets for Saturday's Fireworks Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Reyes de Plata Return Home, Pound Albuquerque 9-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Aviators Fly by Isotopes in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Avelino triples twice in series-opening victory over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- From rain to Rainiers: Tacoma washes away Fresno's hopes on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Miller Flashes Tools in Rainiers Victory against Fresno in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno's Eighth Knocks down Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Leyba's Five RBIs Send Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Clip 'Cakes, 6-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Outshine Missions 11-4 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Rosters Announced for McCombs Ford West's High School Baseball Seniors Celebration at the Wolff
- Wolff Stadium to Host McCombs Ford West's HS Baseball Seniors Celebration
- San Antonio to Host 2020 Texas Collegiate League Team
- San Antonio Missions to Take Part in MiLB's CommUnity First Campaign
- Missions to Re-Air 2019 Home Opener as Part of #MiLBAtHomeOpener Initiative