Dillard Matches Strikeout Record in Home Loss
NASHVILLE - On a night Nashville Sounds pitcher Tim Dillard took hold of another franchise pitching record, the team struggled mightily in a 10-0 loss to the Memphis Redbirds at First Tennessee Park.
Dillard struck out Adolis Garcia for the first out in the fourth inning for his only punch out of the night. It was his 352nd career strikeout with the Sounds - matching the all-time franchise record held by Jamie Werly since 1983.
Dillard's mark was the only positive of the night as Memphis hitters otherwise had their way. The Redbirds scored three runs in the fourth and four runs in the sixth on their way to a 10-run, 14-hit outburst.
Tyler O'Neill hit a solo blast for Memphis in the third, Kramer Robertson drilled a three-run shot in the fourth and Tommy Edman cranked a three-run blast in the sixth.
It was the third time in 2019 the Sounds were shutout. Nashville managed only five hits in the contest - two off the bat of right fielder Carlos Tocci.
A bright spot for the Sounds was reliever Miguel Del Pozo. He entered for the eighth inning and racked up six strikeouts in two frames.
Dillard was tagged with the loss, his third of the season. The right-hander allowed five runs (four earned) on six hits.
Game three of the series is scheduled for Thursday night in Nashville. Right-hander Seth Maness (2-1, 4.09) starts for the Sounds against left-hander Evan Kurczynski (0-0, 6.23) for the Redbirds. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
With tonight's 10-0 loss, the Sounds dropped to 17-28 on the season.
Tim Dillard struck out one batter tonight and matched the Nashville Sounds all-time franchise record with 352 career strikeouts. He is tied with pitcher Jamie Werly who has held the record since 1983.
Hunter Cole's double in the sixth inning extended his hitting streak to six games. He's hitting .538 (14-for-26) with 6 runs, 1 double, 3 home runs, 9 RBI and 1 walk over his last six games.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Cubs Sweep Twinbill over Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Dodgers Neutralized in New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express RHP Cy Sneed Flirts with Perfection in 4-0 Win - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Sweeps Twin Bill - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Wallop Nashville, 10-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Dillard Matches Strikeout Record in Home Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Sneed's Cy-Worthy Performance Stops Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Hernandez, Baby Cakes Blow Away Dodgers - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- River Cats End Bees Winning Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats complete seven-run comeback but lose late - Sacramento River Cats
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Doom despite Kieboom - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sheffield Shoves, Court Belts Decisive Home Run in One-Run Tacoma Victory - Tacoma Rainiers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (17-27) vs. Memphis Redbirds (22-23) - Nashville Sounds
- Hits Fall for Reno, Not for Chihuahuas in Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Break Records, Extend Win Streak in El Paso - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (22-23) at Nashville Sounds (17-27) - Memphis Redbirds
- Happy 200th, Memphis $2.00 Tickets for Saturday's Fireworks Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Reyes de Plata Return Home, Pound Albuquerque 9-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Aviators Fly by Isotopes in Series Opener - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Avelino triples twice in series-opening victory over Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- From rain to Rainiers: Tacoma washes away Fresno's hopes on Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Miller Flashes Tools in Rainiers Victory against Fresno in Opener - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno's Eighth Knocks down Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Leyba's Five RBIs Send Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Dodgers Clip 'Cakes, 6-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Outshine Missions 11-4 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Let Lead Slip Away Late in New Orleans
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-34)
- Ibanez and Tocci Lead Sounds in Rout
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (29-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-33)
- Back-To-Back-To-Back Homers Lift Sounds to Win