Comets Thump Division Leaders in Belleville
Belleville, ON - Justin Bailey scored twice, Sven Baertschi had three points, and Michael DiPietro made 30 saves as the Utica Comets defeated the Belleville Senators by a 6-3 margin on Friday night at CAA Arena.
For the first time in the last five games, the Comets earned the night's first goal, as Seamus Malone got Utica on the board. Stefan LeBlanc came up with the puck in the left wing corner before steering a pass to Malone in front, who twisted a backhand to the net that beat Joey Daccord. The lead lasted for about ten minutes before Joe LaBate helped the Senators draw even.
Needing less than two minutes to re-establish the advantage, the Comets were provided a brilliant finish from Carter Camper to go ahead 2-1. Reid Boucher carried the puck into the Belleville zone and swung a feed in front to Camper who out-waited Daccord with a patient deke and buried his eighth of the season.
While operating on a five-minute power play, the Comets generated a two-goal lead on the back of Bailey's 25th of the season early in the second. After Daccord denied a shot from Baertschi, Bailey spotted the loose puck and rolled it into the back of the net. While on the same power play three minutes later, Rudolfs Balcers earned a shorthanded tally and brought Belleville back within one.
Bailey continued to hold the hot hand in the second, as the team's second-leading goal scorer chased down a puck in the right side of the Belleville zone and hustled towards the goal. Bailey looked up and snapped a wrist shot that rolled between the legs of Daccord and put the Comets up by a 4-2 margin. Nine minutes later Darren Archibald earned his eighth of the year and cut the Comets' lead to a goal heading into the second intermission.
Extending their lead in the third period, Utica were provided a breakaway tally by Kole Lind. John Stevens paced an area feed that was collected by Lind who moved in on a break and used a forehand-to-backhand deke to open space for his 13th of the season.
With a five-on-three power play a few minutes later the Comets put the game out of reach with Baertschi capping off a tic-tac-toe passing play in the offensive zone. Baertschi's one-time finish was his 10th of the year and put Utica ahead by a decisive 6-3 margin.
The Comets return to the ice Wednesday, February 26 on the road against the Rochester Americans. Puck drop Blue Cross Arena is at 7:05 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 21, 2020
- Rocket Rebound in 4-1 Win over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Pospisil Nets First Pro Goal, Heat Earn Point Friday at Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Delia Stops Rampage with Shutout Effort - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Falls to Texas 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Down Phantoms for 3-2 Win in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Stars Stun Wild in 4-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Laval Tops Moose, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Shorthanded Wolves Fall at Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Roll Past Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Taste Sweet Victory in 2-1 Win over Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- The Ghost Returns for his First Phantoms Game in 4 Years - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Senn Stops 47 In 2-1 Win Over Checkers - Binghamton Devils
- Early Goal All Wolf Pack Can Muster in 4-1 Setback - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Defeated in 6-3 Loss to Crunch - Cleveland Monsters
- T-Birds Rally Behind Home Crowd to 3rd Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Double up Senators - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Stymied by Senn in 2-1 Loss to Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Pens Edge Bears in Goaltending Duel, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Comets Thump Division Leaders in Belleville - Utica Comets
- Griffins and Sled Wings to Renew Sled Hockey Tradition on Tuesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Colorado Signs Molino to Professional Tryout Agreement - Colorado Eagles
- Lashoff Rejoins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Acquire David Backes, Axel Andersson and 2020 First-Round Pick from Boston - San Diego Gulls
- T-Birds Host Hartford Friday to Begin 3-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Familiarity Key for Archibald and Luchuk - Belleville Senators
- Heat, Roadrunners Face off for First Place in Pacific - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, February 21, 2020 vs. Lehigh Valley Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Houser Assigned to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Norris Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- 16th Annual Scotty Bowman Showcase Returns March 18 - Rochester Americans
- Game 50 Preview: Stockton at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson to Monsters, Add Forward Calvin Thurkauf to Roster on Emergency Recall - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Comets, February 21 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Bears Re-Assign Whitney to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.