Comets Double up Senators
The Belleville Senators were beaten 6-3 by the Utica Comets Friday night at CAA Arena.
Joseph LaBate, Rudolfs Balcers and Darren Archibald had goals for the Senators as Joey Daccord made 24 saves. Utica's Michael DiPietro turned away 30 shots while Justin Bailey (2), Seamus Malone, Carter Camper, Kole Lind and Sven Baertschi scored.
Utica's Malone opened the scoring 6:03 into the game on a backhander out front after the d-man Stefan LeBlanc had driven to the Senators goal line.
LaBate found the equalizer at 16:09 as after Max Lajoie's shot from the point was blocked, the Sens veteran was on hand to tuck in his ninth of the season after a scramble out front. However, it took Utica 100 seconds to re-take the lead as Camper found himself all alone in front of Daccord and took his time to beat the Sens goaltender for his eighth of the campaign.
Sens rookie Alex Formenton took a five-minute major with 41 seconds left in the first and Utica used that man advantage to benefit 35 seconds into the second period as Bailey banged in a rebound for his 25th of the year and a 3-1 lead.
Belleville cut the deficit to one as Balcers scored short-handed on the same penalty at 3:43 on an odd-man rush but Bailey's second of the night at 7:41 made it 4-2 as he beat Daccord five-hole.
Archibald made it a one-goal game once again with 3:16 left in the period as he went bardown in his first game back with the Senators after being acquired from Toronto Wednesday evening.
Utica pushed its lead back to two at 11:17 of the third through Lind on a breakaway before Baertschi scored backdoor on a 5-on-3 power play at 13:43 to make it 6-3.
Sens forward Filip Chlapik registered his 50th career assist in the game.
Belleville is back in action tomorrow night when they host Manitoba. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 21, 2020
- Rocket Rebound in 4-1 Win over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Pospisil Nets First Pro Goal, Heat Earn Point Friday at Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Delia Stops Rampage with Shutout Effort - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Falls to Texas 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Down Phantoms for 3-2 Win in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Stars Stun Wild in 4-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Laval Tops Moose, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Shorthanded Wolves Fall at Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Roll Past Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Taste Sweet Victory in 2-1 Win over Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- The Ghost Returns for his First Phantoms Game in 4 Years - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Senn Stops 47 In 2-1 Win Over Checkers - Binghamton Devils
- Early Goal All Wolf Pack Can Muster in 4-1 Setback - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Defeated in 6-3 Loss to Crunch - Cleveland Monsters
- T-Birds Rally Behind Home Crowd to 3rd Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Double up Senators - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Stymied by Senn in 2-1 Loss to Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Pens Edge Bears in Goaltending Duel, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Comets Thump Division Leaders in Belleville - Utica Comets
- Griffins and Sled Wings to Renew Sled Hockey Tradition on Tuesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Colorado Signs Molino to Professional Tryout Agreement - Colorado Eagles
- Lashoff Rejoins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Acquire David Backes, Axel Andersson and 2020 First-Round Pick from Boston - San Diego Gulls
- T-Birds Host Hartford Friday to Begin 3-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Familiarity Key for Archibald and Luchuk - Belleville Senators
- Heat, Roadrunners Face off for First Place in Pacific - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, February 21, 2020 vs. Lehigh Valley Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Houser Assigned to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Norris Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- 16th Annual Scotty Bowman Showcase Returns March 18 - Rochester Americans
- Game 50 Preview: Stockton at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson to Monsters, Add Forward Calvin Thurkauf to Roster on Emergency Recall - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Comets, February 21 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Bears Re-Assign Whitney to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Klimchuk Named Belleville's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Aspirot, Szwarz Remain Patient Amidst Covid-19 Suspension
- Sens Release $100,000 in 50/50 Funds Amidst COVID-19 Crisis
- Spectra Donates Unused Food to Gleaners
- Eugene Melnyk Pledges Financial Support to Part-Time Employees During the AHL Suspension