Shorthanded Wolves Fall at Milwaukee
MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin - The Chicago Wolves seized an early lead, but the league-leading Milwaukee Admirals gradually gained control for a 4-1 victory Friday night at Panther Arena.
Forward Brandon Pirri scored for the Wolves (25-24-3-2), who played with just 17 skaters because center Gage Quinney and defenseman Zach Whitecloud were recalled from loan by the NHL's Vegas Golden Knights 30 minutes before puck drop. Forward Valentin Zykov sat out the game due to illness.
For the second day in a row, Pirri opened the game's scoring. Defenseman Jaycob Megna swiped the puck at the Wolves blue line and fed it ahead to Pirri, who stayed ahead of two Milwaukee defensemen and flipped a backhand top-shelf to beat goaltender Connor Ingram at 3:32 of the first.
Milwaukee (36-12-4-3) made it 1-1 at 14:34 of the first when defenseman Jeremy Davies wriggled his way into open space and flung a backhand from the right faceoff circle off the post and in.
The Admirals took a 2-1 lead at 7:51 of the second on Daniel Carr's 20th goal this season. Carr, who won the AHL Most Valuable Player award with the Wolves last year, helped coordinate an odd-man rush and then headed to the crease to knock home a rebound.
Milwaukee posted an insurance goal on the power play with 7:22 left in regulation. After Curtis McKenzie was sent off for holding - a penalty he disagreed with strongly - the Admirals found Rem Pitlick open in the high slot for a quick blast to give the hosts a 3-1 lead.
Head coach Rocky Thompson pulled goaltender Oscar Dansk with just more than four minutes remaining to give the Wolves a 6-on-4 advantage on a power play, but the Admirals killed it off.
Dansk stayed off the ice after the power play and Carr found the empty net with 1:13 to go.
Ingram (18-5-5) posted 27 saves in the win while Dansk (18-10-2) stopped 21 shots.
The Wolves return to Allstate Arena at 3 p.m. Sunday to face the Rockford IceHogs in an Illinois Lottery Cup contest. The first 2,500 fans to arrive for Little Debbie Sunday receive a Wolves Retro Lunchbox courtesy of ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. For tickets, visit ChicagoWolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 21, 2020
- Rocket Rebound in 4-1 Win over Manitoba - Laval Rocket
- Pospisil Nets First Pro Goal, Heat Earn Point Friday at Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Delia Stops Rampage with Shutout Effort - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Falls to Texas 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Down Phantoms for 3-2 Win in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Stars Stun Wild in 4-3 Victory - Texas Stars
- Laval Tops Moose, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Shorthanded Wolves Fall at Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Roll Past Monsters, 6-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Taste Sweet Victory in 2-1 Win over Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- The Ghost Returns for his First Phantoms Game in 4 Years - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Senn Stops 47 In 2-1 Win Over Checkers - Binghamton Devils
- Early Goal All Wolf Pack Can Muster in 4-1 Setback - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Defeated in 6-3 Loss to Crunch - Cleveland Monsters
- T-Birds Rally Behind Home Crowd to 3rd Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Double up Senators - Belleville Senators
- Checkers Stymied by Senn in 2-1 Loss to Devils - Charlotte Checkers
- Pens Edge Bears in Goaltending Duel, 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Comets Thump Division Leaders in Belleville - Utica Comets
- Griffins and Sled Wings to Renew Sled Hockey Tradition on Tuesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Colorado Signs Molino to Professional Tryout Agreement - Colorado Eagles
- Lashoff Rejoins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Ducks Acquire David Backes, Axel Andersson and 2020 First-Round Pick from Boston - San Diego Gulls
- T-Birds Host Hartford Friday to Begin 3-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Familiarity Key for Archibald and Luchuk - Belleville Senators
- Heat, Roadrunners Face off for First Place in Pacific - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, February 21, 2020 vs. Lehigh Valley Phantoms - Rochester Americans
- Houser Assigned to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Norris Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- 16th Annual Scotty Bowman Showcase Returns March 18 - Rochester Americans
- Game 50 Preview: Stockton at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson to Monsters, Add Forward Calvin Thurkauf to Roster on Emergency Recall - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Comets, February 21 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Bears Re-Assign Whitney to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.