Charlotte Drops Durham 7-2
CHARLOTTE, NC - Bulls right-hander Yonny Chirinos fired three scoreless frames as part of his Major League Rehab Assignment and right fielder Ruben Cardenas homered, however the Knights' five-run fifth inning highlighted by longballs from first baseman Raudy Read and catcher Carlos Perez led to Charlotte's 7-2 win over Durham on Thursday afternoon at Truist Field.
Bulls shortstop Tristan Gray lofted a sacrifice fly in the fourth to start the scoring before the Knights countered with their big fifth inning bookended by roundtrippers from Reed and Perez. SS Lynyn Sosa's RBI single in the seventh made it 6-1 before DH Tyler Neslony mashed a solo shot in the eighth. Cardenas would later go yard in the ninth to narrow the deficit to 7-2.
Perez (2-3, R, HR, 2 RBI, BB) and Neslony (2-4, R, HR, RBI) each posted two knocks in the victory, while no Durham batters recorded a multi-hit effort. Bulls 1B Luke Raley and DH David Rodriguez each reached base twice via a hit and a walk.
Chirinos (3.0 IP, H, 0 R, BB, 2 SO) fired three scoreless frames as part of his Major League Rehab Assignment with Durham and did not factor in the final decisions. Charlotte southpaw Kyle Kubat (6.2 IP, 5 H, R, ER, 2 BB, 4 SO) earned the win with a quality outing and Bulls righty Easton McGee (1.2 IP, 3 H, 5 R, 4 ER, BB) suffered the defeat.
The two teams are slated to continue their six-game series with a doubleheader on Friday evening, with first pitch of game one scheduled for 5:35pm. Both games are scheduled to last seven innings, with game two starting approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one.
Following their road series in Charlotte, the Bulls return to Durham Bulls Athletic Park to begin a six-game homestand with the New York Yankees Triple-A affiliate, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders on Monday, September 5. First pitch that night is scheduled for 6:35pm.
Tickets for that game and all remaining 2022 home dates can be purchased at DurhamBulls.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 1, 2022
- What a Ride, Wallner Collects First Cycle in 30-Season History of Saints in 18-6 Win over Storm Chasers - St. Paul Saints
- RailRider Earn Doubleheader Split - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Garcia Earns a Pair of Hits and a Pair of Runs Scored in Omaha Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds 'Walk' off Redbirds - Nashville Sounds
- Plates, Pineda Blast Hens, 17-0 - Rochester Red Wings
- Nashville Walks It off on a Walk - Memphis Redbirds
- Indians' Pitching Dazzles in Late-Inning Comeback Win - Indianapolis Indians
- Lipcius Doubles in Loss to Rochester - Toledo Mud Hens
- Jacksonville Wins Third-Straight on Lindgren's Seven Strong Innings - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Stripers Defeated 3-1 by Jacksonville - Gwinnett Stripers
- Rehabber Greene Dominates, But Bats Lose 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Outhit Worcester, Lose 4-3 on Thursday Night - Buffalo Bisons
- Long Ball Not Enough for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Casas, Castellanos Homer in 4-3 Win over Bisons - Worcester Red Sox
- IronPigs snap 3-game slide - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Charge Past Bulls 7-2 on Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Cowser Hits First Triple-A Home Run in Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (63-60) at Louisville Bats (52-73) - Indianapolis Indians
- Charlotte Drops Durham 7-2 - Durham Bulls
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 1 vs. Toledo - Rochester Red Wings
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights September 6-11 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Bisons Offer Military, First Responders up to Four Free Tickets to September 11 Game - Buffalo Bisons
- Heads Up: Bisons Have Three Home Game Time Changes in September - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs Ink P.A. Announcer to Sponsorship - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- September 1 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Columbus Clippers - Iowa Cubs
- Haseley & Foster Promoted to Chicago White Sox - Charlotte Knights
- Durham Bulls Announce 2023 Schedule - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Jonathan Aranda Named International League's Most Valuable Player
- Bulls Announce 2022 Fall Fan Fest
- Capitol Broadcasting Company Closes on Acquisition of Coastal Plain League
- 2023 ACC Baseball Championship Set for Durham Bulls Athletic Park
- Bulls Win Fourth Triple-A National Championship With 10-6 Win Over Aces