Wings Stopped by Cyclones 5-1
Cincinnati, OH. - Jagger Dirk spoiled Michael Houser's shutout bid late in the third period but it wasn't enough as the K-Wings fell 5-1 on Wednesday night.
Kyle Thomas saw his 15-game point streak snapped in the defeat as the K-Wings fell to 27-22-1-2.
A flurry from the Cyclone offense in the first period helped Cincinnati take an early 3-0 lead just over midway through the first. Jesse Schultz got the home side on the board putting home a rebound to give the Cyclones a 1-0 lead. Six minutes later Myles Powell doubled the lead on the power play. Standing on the edge of the goal line, Powell sent an odd angle shot past Matiss Kivlenieks to push the lead to 2-0. Less than a minute later the Cyclones scored again, ending Kivlenieks night. The netminder made seven saves on ten shots, prior to being replaced.
Cincinnati added a goal late in the second period to extend the lead to 4-0 as Eric Knodel's shot found a way past Jake Hildebrand as traffic in front of the K-Wing goaltender helped allow the puck to find the back of the net. Cincinnati took the 4-0 lead into the second intermission.
Jagger Dirk ruined Michael Houser's shutout bid late in the third period with a power play goal at the 14:28 mark of the third period. Dirk's shot from the left circle beat Houser between the legs to put the K-Wings on the board. Cincinnati added one more goal in the final two minutes of the game as Vas Glotov notched his 12th goal of the season to cap off the scoring.
Matiss Kivlenieks suffered the loss, stopping seven of ten shots before being replaced by Jake Hildebrand who stopped 21 of 23. Michael Houser stopped 19 of 20 en route to victory. The K-Wings finished the night one for four on the power play.
The K-Wings are back in action on Saturday night in Kansas City taking on the Mavericks.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 20, 2019
- Early Period Starts Elevate Steelheads in 5-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fast Start Propels Idaho Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Toledo Goal Sinks Mavericks, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Heartbreaker in First Game against Atlanta - Rapid City Rush
- Late Tally from Malatesta Gives Atlanta 2-1 Win in Series Opener in Rapid City - Atlanta Gladiators
- Two-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Clip Wings at Home - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Have No Jump on Hump Day in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- IceMen Solve Everblades in Coach's Milestone Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Dominate Railers, 7-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wings Stopped by Cyclones 5-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Dominate Third But Drop vs. Maine, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Pile on Royals Early for Fifth Straight Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 20 - ECHL
- Nailers Make Three Transactions - Wheeling Nailers
- Salvaggio Joins Thunder from AHL Hartford - Wichita Thunder
- G Chris Nell Called up to Hartford Wolf Pack - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Deal D Sean Flanagan for Future Considerations - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dine to Donate Event Scheduled for February 26th - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Acquire Alex Rauter from Nailers - Manchester Monarchs
- Solar Bears to Host Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend, Presented by XYMOPrint - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Host Maine: Critical Division Positioning at Stake at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.