Two-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Everblades
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jacksonville Icemen scored the final two goals of the game and held on in the third period for a 3-2 win over the Florida Everblades on Wednesday night at Veterans Memorial Arena.
In the first game of a three-game week, the Everblades (35-13-5-0, 75 pts.) led by a goal after the first period but couldn't find the back of the net in the final 40 minutes in their second consecutive loss.
Florida took the first lead of the game with the 13th goal of the season from Tommy Thompson. After Thompson helped keep the puck in the offensive zone with a hit, Patrick McCarron took over possession and fired a shot from the slot. Thompson deflected McCarron's attempt, and after Jacksonville netminder Tanner Jaillet made the initial save, Thompson got it back at the top of the crease and jammed in his own rebound 4:56 into the first.
Jacksonville (27-22-2-2, 58 pts.) tied the game for the first time thanks to the second goal of the season from David Broll. Following a save from Florida goaltender Jamie Phillips on Jack Glover's initial shot, Broll pushed in the loose puck from the top of the crease just 2:26 after the 'Blades had taken the lead.
Cliff Pu returned the advantage to Florida, scoring on his third shot in an individual flurry of three opportunities. On Brendan Miller's shot from the left-wing wall, Pu caught a piece on a redirect, but Jaillet made the save. Pu got the puck back at the near post and shoveled his second opportunity parallel to the goal line. On a third try, Pu banked in the puck at the far post to make it 2-1 with 5:16 left in the first.
Jacksonville took its first lead of the game with the only two goals of the second period. Cody Fowlie tied the game at two when he picked up a rebound at the side of the net and slid it past Phillips with 11 minutes, 13 seconds gone in the middle frame. Dajon Mingo then tapped in a backdoor feed from the top of the right circle from Cameron Critchlow to give the Icemen a 3-2 edge with just 1:23 left in the second.
Florida outshot the Icemen, 7-5, in the third period, but couldn't beat Jaillet again. Jaillet preserved the Jacksonville lead with less than four minutes left in regulation, sliding right to left in goal and denying Kyle Platzer on a one-time shot at the back post. Jaillet finished with 26 saves.
Phillips suffered the loss and turned in a 19-save effort.
Florida now makes the trek to Charleston, South Carolina, for a two-game set with the South Carolina Stingrays. The series gets underway with a 7:05 p.m. tilt on Friday.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games start at just $10!
Kelly Cup Playoff packages and 2019-20 season ticket packages are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 20, 2019
- Early Period Starts Elevate Steelheads in 5-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fast Start Propels Idaho Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Toledo Goal Sinks Mavericks, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Heartbreaker in First Game against Atlanta - Rapid City Rush
- Late Tally from Malatesta Gives Atlanta 2-1 Win in Series Opener in Rapid City - Atlanta Gladiators
- Two-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Clip Wings at Home - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Have No Jump on Hump Day in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- IceMen Solve Everblades in Coach's Milestone Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Dominate Railers, 7-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wings Stopped by Cyclones 5-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Dominate Third But Drop vs. Maine, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Pile on Royals Early for Fifth Straight Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 20 - ECHL
- Nailers Make Three Transactions - Wheeling Nailers
- Salvaggio Joins Thunder from AHL Hartford - Wichita Thunder
- G Chris Nell Called up to Hartford Wolf Pack - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Deal D Sean Flanagan for Future Considerations - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dine to Donate Event Scheduled for February 26th - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Acquire Alex Rauter from Nailers - Manchester Monarchs
- Solar Bears to Host Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend, Presented by XYMOPrint - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Host Maine: Critical Division Positioning at Stake at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals
- Michael Downing Loaned to AHL's Bakersfield Condors
- 'Blades Announce Updates on Renovations, Reminders for Opening Night
- Defenseman Fortunato Assigned to Florida by NHL's Predators