Mariners Pile on Royals Early for Fifth Straight Win
READING, PA - Five different Mariners had multi-point games, including the two newest members of the team in a 6-4 win over the Reading Royals on Wednesday night at the Santander Arena in PA. The Mariners won their fifth game in a row and improved to 3-0-0 on their road trip, which has two games remaining.
Maine scored the first five goals of the game, grabbing a 3-0 lead in the first. Making his Mariners debut, Blake Kessel set up a power play goal at 3:05 of the first period when his shot from the blue line was cleaned up in front by Terrence Wallin. Kessel also created the second goal at 10:26 with a blast from the point that was deflected by fellow newcomer Taylor Cammarata. At 15:11, Cammarata spotted Greg Chase for a breakaway and Chase beat Andrew D'Agostini under the crossbar for a 3-0 Maine lead and the end of D'Agostini's night.
Less than two minutes into the second period, Johnny McInnis scored his first Mariners goal to extend the lead to 4-0, burying his own rebound after Dillan Fox and Terrence Wallin worked hard to keep the puck in the attacking zone. At 3:12, Dwyer Tschantz scored for his third game in a row, set up by a nice pass from Wallin into the slot. Reading responded with two quick goals from Josh MacDonald and Tyler Brown, but at 8:45, Fox scored an unassisted goal to restore Mariners momentum. They led 6-2 through two.
The Royals outshot the Mariners 17-1 in the third and got two goals in the final 2:09, from Adam Schmidt and Joe Houk (power play). Connor LaCouvee finished the game with 30 saves to earn his 8th win. Devin Buffalo, in relief of D'Agostini, stopped 7 of 10 and was saddled with the loss. Wallin and Kessel finished with three points each, while Cammarata, Chase, and Fox each had two point nights. Chase has 14 points (7 goals, 7 assists) in nine February games.
The Mariners jump over Worcester and into fifth place as the Railers fell in Manchester. Maine also gained ground on the top three teams in the North Division (Newfoundland, Adirondack, and Brampton) who were all idle tonight.
The Mariners will travel to Glens Falls, NY on Friday to continue their road trip with a game against the Adirondack Thunder. They will then visit Manchester on Saturday before returning to Portland on Sunday at 3:00 PM against the Worcester Railers. A full team autograph session will follow the game. Single game tickets can be purchased at MarinersofMaine.com or by visiting or calling the Trusted Choice Box Office: 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 20, 2019
- Early Period Starts Elevate Steelheads in 5-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fast Start Propels Idaho Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Toledo Goal Sinks Mavericks, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Heartbreaker in First Game against Atlanta - Rapid City Rush
- Late Tally from Malatesta Gives Atlanta 2-1 Win in Series Opener in Rapid City - Atlanta Gladiators
- Two-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Clip Wings at Home - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Have No Jump on Hump Day in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- IceMen Solve Everblades in Coach's Milestone Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Dominate Railers, 7-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wings Stopped by Cyclones 5-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Dominate Third But Drop vs. Maine, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Pile on Royals Early for Fifth Straight Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 20 - ECHL
- Nailers Make Three Transactions - Wheeling Nailers
- Salvaggio Joins Thunder from AHL Hartford - Wichita Thunder
- G Chris Nell Called up to Hartford Wolf Pack - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Deal D Sean Flanagan for Future Considerations - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dine to Donate Event Scheduled for February 26th - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Acquire Alex Rauter from Nailers - Manchester Monarchs
- Solar Bears to Host Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend, Presented by XYMOPrint - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Host Maine: Critical Division Positioning at Stake at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.