Late Toledo Goal Sinks Mavericks, 4-3
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks were defeated by the Toledo Walleye, 4-3 Wednesday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Mavericks forward Joey Sides put up a goal and an assist giving him five goals in his last three games.
Joey Sides continued his hot streak exactly five minutes into regulation, scoring his fifth goal in the last three games, piggybacking off his hat trick against the Utah Grizzlies on Monday afternoon. Nate Widman assisted on the goal. The Mavericks strengthened their first period lead just under five minutes later on a goal from Jared VanWormer. Sides was given the lone assist on the goal. Toledo got right back in the game on goals within 48 seconds of each other. Greg Wolfe cut the Mavericks lead in half with a goal with 2:16 left in the first. Dylan Sadowy and Matt Register were given the assists on the goal. Then, it was Marcus Crawford taking a feed from Ben Storm to tie the game with 1:28 left in the first. The Mavericks outshot the Walleye 16-6 in the period.
The Walleye scored a third unanswered goal at the 12:59 mark of the second period on a goal from Ben Danford. Register was given his second assist of the game on the goal and Tyler Spezia picked up the second assist. The Walleye took the 3-2 lead into the third period, outshooting the Mavericks in the period, 12-9.
Wllie Raskob evened the score 3:40 into the third period with a shorthanded goal that was assisted by C.J. Eick and Jordan Klimek. The Walleye netted the winning goal with 2:11 remaining in regulation, as Brenden Kotyk beat Mavericks goaltender Mason McDonald from the point. 4-3 was the final score in favor of Toledo.
Mavericks goaltender Mason McDonald ended the night with 26 saves on 30 shots. After outshooting the Walleye 16-6 in the first period, the Mavericks were outshot 25-15 in the final 40 minutes of regulation.
The Mavericks and Walleye play the second game of their two game series on Friday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. The Mavericks will celebrate Hockey Is For Everyone Saturday against the Kalamazoo Wings. In celebration of Hockey Week Across America, the Mavericks encourage fans in attendance to wear their favorite hockey jersey to the arena for Friday and Saturday's games. Faceoff for both games is 7:05 p.m.. For more information, please visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 20, 2019
- Early Period Starts Elevate Steelheads in 5-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fast Start Propels Idaho Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Toledo Goal Sinks Mavericks, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Heartbreaker in First Game against Atlanta - Rapid City Rush
- Late Tally from Malatesta Gives Atlanta 2-1 Win in Series Opener in Rapid City - Atlanta Gladiators
- Two-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Clip Wings at Home - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Have No Jump on Hump Day in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- IceMen Solve Everblades in Coach's Milestone Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Dominate Railers, 7-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wings Stopped by Cyclones 5-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Dominate Third But Drop vs. Maine, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Pile on Royals Early for Fifth Straight Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 20 - ECHL
- Nailers Make Three Transactions - Wheeling Nailers
- Salvaggio Joins Thunder from AHL Hartford - Wichita Thunder
- G Chris Nell Called up to Hartford Wolf Pack - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Deal D Sean Flanagan for Future Considerations - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dine to Donate Event Scheduled for February 26th - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Acquire Alex Rauter from Nailers - Manchester Monarchs
- Solar Bears to Host Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend, Presented by XYMOPrint - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Host Maine: Critical Division Positioning at Stake at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Eliminated in Game Seven Loss at Tulsa
- Mavericks Head to Game Seven After 4-2 Loss in Game Six at Tulsa
- Mavericks Claim Game Five with Four-Goal Second Period
- Oilers Even Series, Claim 4-3 Win in Game Four
- Mavs Take 2-1 Series Lead with Third Period Heroics