Early Period Starts Elevate Steelheads in 5-2 Win over Oilers
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (32-17-4) scored early in back-to-back periods, helping them to a 5-2 win over the Tulsa Oilers (30-19-6) on Wednesday night from CenturyLink Arena.
The Steelheads jumped out early on the first shot of the night at 0:28 of the first period when forward A.J. White took a slap shot from an odd corner bounce to take a 1-0 lead. The Steelheads doubled their lead, 2-0, at 6:16 after a pass by forward Mitch Moroz found forward Kyle Schempp for a drag and shot in the left circle that snuck underneath the crossbar.
Another pair of early goals to start a period benefits the Steelheads in the second frame. At 1:59, defenseman Geoff Crisfield floated a shot from the blue line to earn his first ECHL goal and triple the lead to 3-0. The lead spread further to 4-0 on a shot by Steelheads forward Reid Petryk from the left circle at 6:08 that fluttered under the crossbar. The Oilers got a goal back at 11:32 on a power play tally by forward Adam Pleskach, cutting the lead to 4-1.
The Oilers started to crawl back into the game with a goal at 2:26 of the third period from forward Steven Ammirato, cutting the lead in half at 4-2. However, a late empty net goal by Steelheads forward Kale Kessy at 18:10 put the game away in the 5-2 win. Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (18-9-0) halted 38 of 40 shots in the win, while Oilers netminder Keegan Asmundson (2-5-1) stopped 26 of 30 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Oilers meet again on Friday, Feb. 22 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling the Steelheads at 208-383-0080 or going online to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and at 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Channel 72 and ECHL.TV.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 20, 2019
- Early Period Starts Elevate Steelheads in 5-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fast Start Propels Idaho Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Toledo Goal Sinks Mavericks, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Heartbreaker in First Game against Atlanta - Rapid City Rush
- Late Tally from Malatesta Gives Atlanta 2-1 Win in Series Opener in Rapid City - Atlanta Gladiators
- Two-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Clip Wings at Home - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Have No Jump on Hump Day in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- IceMen Solve Everblades in Coach's Milestone Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Dominate Railers, 7-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wings Stopped by Cyclones 5-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Dominate Third But Drop vs. Maine, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Pile on Royals Early for Fifth Straight Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 20 - ECHL
- Nailers Make Three Transactions - Wheeling Nailers
- Salvaggio Joins Thunder from AHL Hartford - Wichita Thunder
- G Chris Nell Called up to Hartford Wolf Pack - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Deal D Sean Flanagan for Future Considerations - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dine to Donate Event Scheduled for February 26th - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Acquire Alex Rauter from Nailers - Manchester Monarchs
- Solar Bears to Host Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend, Presented by XYMOPrint - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Host Maine: Critical Division Positioning at Stake at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Steelheads Host Preseason Meeting with Utah Grizzlies on October 5
- Forward Joe Basaraba Returns to Steelheads for 2019-20 Season
- Forward Conner Bleackley Joins Steelheads for 2019-20 Season
- Defenseman Brady Norrish Re-Joins Steelheads for 2019-20 Season