Rush Fall in Heartbreaker in First Game against Atlanta
(RAPID CITY, SD) - Zach Malatesta broke a 1-1 deadlock with 2:03 left in regulation to provide the Atlanta Gladiators with a 2-1 win over the Rapid City Rush on Wednesday night. With the loss, the Rush remain 6 points out of the final playoff spot with 17 games remaining.
Only one goal came out of the first 20 minutes, and it belonged to the Gladiators. With just 4:31 gone by in the opening frame, Avery Peterson, while falling down behind the goal line, found Nick Bligh in the slot area, who fired a shot by Rush net-minder Tyler Parks to give the Gladiators a 1-0 lead after one period (Peterson and Joseph Widmar assisted).
Only one goal came out of the second 20 minutes, and this one belonged to the Rush to square the game heading into the final period of play. With 1:40 left in the frame, Michael Turner found Justin Faryna all alone in the far faceoff circle from behind the net. Faryna rifled a shot off the bar and in past Atlanta goaltender Sean Bonar to square the game at 1-1 heading into the third (Turner and Darby Llewellyn assisted).
It was only fitting with the way the game was played that only one goal came out of the final period, and it was Atlanta that provided it for the regulation win. With 2:03 remaining, Malatesta entered the Rush zone and took a drop pass from Widmar, rifling it by Parks in the high slot to give Atlanta a 2-1 lead (Widmar and Luke Stork). With 91 seconds remaining in the game, Jack Stander was assessed a two-minute minor for delay of game, to put the Rush, with the empty-net, on a 6-on-4 advantage for the remainder of the game. The Rush had chances, but couldn't convert, and Atlanta weathered the storm with a 2-1 win.
Tyler Parks stopped all but two of 22 shots in the defeat (4-7-2-0).
The Rush rematch Atlanta on Friday, February 22nd, with puck drop at Premier Home Mortgage Ice slated for 7:05 p.m. MST.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 20, 2019
- Early Period Starts Elevate Steelheads in 5-2 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Fast Start Propels Idaho Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Toledo Goal Sinks Mavericks, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Heartbreaker in First Game against Atlanta - Rapid City Rush
- Late Tally from Malatesta Gives Atlanta 2-1 Win in Series Opener in Rapid City - Atlanta Gladiators
- Two-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Clip Wings at Home - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Have No Jump on Hump Day in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- IceMen Solve Everblades in Coach's Milestone Victory - Jacksonville IceMen
- Monarchs Dominate Railers, 7-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Wings Stopped by Cyclones 5-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Dominate Third But Drop vs. Maine, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Pile on Royals Early for Fifth Straight Win - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 20 - ECHL
- Nailers Make Three Transactions - Wheeling Nailers
- Salvaggio Joins Thunder from AHL Hartford - Wichita Thunder
- G Chris Nell Called up to Hartford Wolf Pack - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Deal D Sean Flanagan for Future Considerations - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dine to Donate Event Scheduled for February 26th - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Acquire Alex Rauter from Nailers - Manchester Monarchs
- Solar Bears to Host Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend, Presented by XYMOPrint - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Host Maine: Critical Division Positioning at Stake at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.