Werth, Motter Lead Rainiers Past River Cats, 8-5
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Exceptional play from right fielder Jayson Werth and shortstop Taylor Motter led the Tacoma Rainiers (19-20) to an 8-5 victory over the Sacramento River Cats (20-19) on Monday night at Raley Field.
The Rainiers matched their season-high mark in hits with 14 as seven-of-nine batters in the lineup collected a base knock. Werth led the pack with his best game of the season, reaching base four times going 3-for-4 with two runs, two doubles, one home run, three RBI, and a walk. Motter joined Werth with a trio of hits, going 3-for-5 with one run, a double, and two RBI.
Also collecting multiple hits was designated hitter Daniel Vogelbach (2x5) - who extended his hitting streak to seven games - left fielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis (2x5, R, 2B, RBI), and second baseman Zach Vincej (2x3, R, RBI, BB).
The Rainiers fell behind early, facing a 2-0 deficit after the first inning before storming back to take the lead. Tacoma plated one run in the second and third before grabbing a 3-2 lead on an infield single from second baseman Zach Vincej in the top of the fourth.
Werth extended the Rainiers lead to 6-2 with a three-run home run in the top of the fifth - it was his second home run of the season. The River Cats rallied for three runs in the bottom of the fifth to cut the Rainiers lead to just one run, but Tacoma responded with two runs in the next frame courtesy of a two-run double from Motter.
Tacoma reliever Casey Lawrence entered the game with a three-run lead in the bottom of the sixth and proceeded to pitch four perfect innings to lock down the save and a Rainiers 8-5 victory.
Rainiers starting pitcher Rob Whalen (5-2) worked five innings for Tacoma and allowed five runs on eight hits while walking two and striking out eight to earn the win.
Whalen (8 K) and Lawrence (5 K) combined to give the Rainiers 13 strikeouts on the night, the club's best mark of the season.
Tacoma and Sacramento wrap up their five-game series tomorrow afternoon at 12:05 p.m. PT. Rainiers right-hander Max Povse (1-6, 9.38) and River Cats righty Tyler Beede (1-3, 5.63) will take the mound.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2018 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2018
- Series Finale in Colorado Springs Postponed - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox May 15 Game Postponed Due to Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop final game of series 8-5 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Mount Late Comeback, Topple River Cats 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Prevail on Fletcher's Clutch RBI - Salt Lake Bees
- Texas Rangers Purchase Contract of Express INF Hanser Alberto - Round Rock Express
- Salt Lake Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees avoid sweep with a 3-2 win on Taco Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Tops Chihuahuas 3-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- I-Cubs Miss Offensive Opportunities in Round Rock Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Express Win Series with 4-2 Victory over Cubs - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 15, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Rally But Drop Series Finale to Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Baby Cakes Match Largest Win in Franchise History - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Slice Chasers 16-0 in Series Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Gossett Shines as Sounds Hold off Redbirds in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies Rally Late to Beat Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas and Whataburger Team up to Host Food Drive at Southwest University Park - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (19-18) at Memphis Redbirds (23-16) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Host Hometown Heroes Military Celebration Night Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-16) vs Nashville Sounds (19-18) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento falls to Tacoma to knot up series - Sacramento River Cats
- Werth, Motter Lead Rainiers Past River Cats, 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Negron Ties Aces Record in Reno Loss - Reno Aces
- Lockett's Strong Start Ends Chihuahuas' Skid - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Stumble in The Springs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Fall to 51s Despite Oberholtzer's Strong Start - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kemmer's go-ahead triple in the 8th gives Fresno series win versus Salt Lake - Fresno Grizzlies
- Orf, Opitz Homer in Sky Sox Third Straight Win over Dodgers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.