Redbirds Rally But Drop Series Finale to Nashville
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - After a quiet first six innings at the plate, the Memphis Redbirds (23-17) sent nine men to the dish in the seventh and scored four runs, turning a 6-0 deficit into a 6-4 ballgame, but they could not push anything else across and lost the series finale to the Nashville Sounds (Athletics) Tuesday afternoon at AutoZone Park, 7-4.
The Redbirds have lost six-of-eight games to Nashville in the last two weeks, and the club has dropped nine of its last 13 contests overall.
Memphis could not solve Nashville starter Daniel Gossett, who gave up just two hits in his 6.0 innings of work and struck out seven. But the Redbirds went to work against relievers JB Wendelken and Jeremy Bleich in the seventh, stringing together five hits, all singles, and scoring four times to make the score 6-4.
Adolis Garcia, Wilfredo Tovar, and Max Schrock had RBI singles, with Steven Baron grounding into a force-out for another run.
Memphis then had the potential tying run on second in the bottom of the eighth, but Alex Mejia struck out to leave runners on second and third.
Nashville got an insurance run in the top of the ninth, and the Redbirds then went down in order in the home-half to end the game.
Wisdom finished 3-for-4 with a run. Dustin Garneau was 3-for-3 with a double, home run, and three runs scored for the Sounds.
Memphis starter Austin Gomber allowed four runs, two via home run, on eight hits in 5.0 innings, and he struck out four without a walk. Arturo Reyes and Andrew Morales finished the game for the Redbirds.
After an off-day tomorrow, the Redbirds head to Colorado Springs for four games Thursday-Sunday. The Redbirds then return to AutoZone Park for nine games, starting Monday the 21st. For more information on single-game tickets and ticket mini-memberships, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2018
- Series Finale in Colorado Springs Postponed - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox May 15 Game Postponed Due to Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop final game of series 8-5 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Mount Late Comeback, Topple River Cats 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Prevail on Fletcher's Clutch RBI - Salt Lake Bees
- Texas Rangers Purchase Contract of Express INF Hanser Alberto - Round Rock Express
- Salt Lake Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees avoid sweep with a 3-2 win on Taco Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Tops Chihuahuas 3-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- I-Cubs Miss Offensive Opportunities in Round Rock Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Express Win Series with 4-2 Victory over Cubs - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 15, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Rally But Drop Series Finale to Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Baby Cakes Match Largest Win in Franchise History - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Slice Chasers 16-0 in Series Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Gossett Shines as Sounds Hold off Redbirds in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies Rally Late to Beat Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas and Whataburger Team up to Host Food Drive at Southwest University Park - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (19-18) at Memphis Redbirds (23-16) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Host Hometown Heroes Military Celebration Night Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-16) vs Nashville Sounds (19-18) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento falls to Tacoma to knot up series - Sacramento River Cats
- Werth, Motter Lead Rainiers Past River Cats, 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Negron Ties Aces Record in Reno Loss - Reno Aces
- Lockett's Strong Start Ends Chihuahuas' Skid - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Stumble in The Springs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Fall to 51s Despite Oberholtzer's Strong Start - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kemmer's go-ahead triple in the 8th gives Fresno series win versus Salt Lake - Fresno Grizzlies
- Orf, Opitz Homer in Sky Sox Third Straight Win over Dodgers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Triple-A National Champions: Memphis Wins First National Title
- Redbirds, Aldo's Pizza Pies Downtown Hosting Triple-A National Championship Game Watch Party Tomorrow Night
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (6-2) vs Durham Bulls (6-3)
- Redbirds Win Consecutive PCL Titles for the First Time
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (2-1) vs Fresno Grizzlies (1-2)