OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 15, 2018
Oklahoma City Dodgers (24-12) vs. Colorado Springs Sky Sox (24-13)
Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Milwaukee Brewers
Game #37 of 140/Road #17 of 70 (7-9)
Pitching Probables: OKC-RHP Daniel Corcino (2-0, 3.44) vs. COS-RHP Aaron Brooks (2-1, 4.50)
Tuesday, May 15, 2018 | Security Service Field | Colorado Springs, Colo. | 7:40 p.m. CT
Radio: KGHM AM-1340 The Game, 1340thegame.com, iHeartRadio - Alex Freedman
Today's Game: The OKC Dodgers wrap up their four-game road series against the Colorado Springs Sky Sox at 7:40 p.m. at Security Service Field. The Sky Sox lead the series, 3-0, and the Dodgers will try to avoid being swept in a four-game series for the first time since May 23-26, 2016 at Fresno. Oklahoma City has matched its longest losing skid of the season at three games and has now lost six of its last eight games.
Last Game: Colorado Springs jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead and withstood two rallies by the Dodgers to win, 8-5, Monday night at Security Service Field. After a wild pitch plated the first run, Keon Broxton hit a two-run double with two outs to score two more in the first inning. Nate Orf added a solo home run in the second inning, pushing Colorado Springs' lead to 4-0. In the sixth, OKC's Kyle Garlick hit a two-run homer to close the gap to 4-2. The Dodgers pulled within one in the seventh inning after three straight singles. Colorado Springs scored twice in the bottom of the seventh after loading the bases with none out, making it 6-3. The Sky Sox extended the lead in the eighth when Shane Opitz hit a two-run homer. The Dodgers started off the ninth with three straight hits, including a RBI triple by Jake Peter and RBI double by Donovan Solano, cutting the deficit to 8-5 before the rally ran out of steam. Colorado Springs starting pitcher Bubba Derby (2-1) held the Dodgers to two runs and five hits over 5.1 innings to earn the win. He notched six strikeouts and two walks. Tim Dillard earned his first save. Dodgers starting pitcher Manny Bañuelos (4-2) lasted a season-low three innings, allowing four runs and six hits, with two walks and three strikeouts.
Today's Probable Pitcher: Daniel Corcino (2-0) makes his fourth start of the season and seventh appearance for OKC...Corcino has made three consecutive starts for the Dodgers after three relief appearances to open the season...In his last outing May 10 against Memphis in OKC, Corcino allowed a season-high four runs (three earned) and four hits over 4.0 innings with one walk and tied his season high with five strikeouts in a no decision. He allowed a third-inning grand slam to Yairo Munoz to account for all the runs, but OKC came back to win the game, 8-4...Corcino has done admirable job filling in among the starting rotation, allowing four runs and seven hits over 12.0 innings while holding opponents to a .156 average, with 13 strikeouts against two walks...Corcino made his first start April 30 in Memphis, delivering five scoreless innings and allowing one hit. It was his longest outing since Sept. 17, 2014, when he started for the Cincinnati Reds against the Chicago Cubs (5.2 IP)...He split 2017 between High-A Rancho Cucamonga, Double-A Tulsa and Double-A Tennessee (Cubs). He was released by the Cubs April 27, 2017 and signed by the Dodgers May 11, 2017...Corcino made his MLB debut Aug. 26, 2014 for Cincinnati against the Cubs and compiled 18.2 IP in five appearances (three starts) in the Majors in 2014...He was originally signed as an amateur free agent by the Reds Jan. 11, 2008...Tonight is his second start of the season against the Sky Sox. On May 5, Corcino threw 3.0 scoreless innings and allowed two hits, with one walk and five strikeouts.
Against the Sky Sox: 2018: 3-4 2017: 4-12 All-time: 101-86 At COS: 39-52
After the Dodgers won the first three meetings this season, the Sky Sox have taken the last four...The Dodgers won the first series, 3-1, May 4-7 at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. The Dodgers outscored the Sky Sox, 15-9, led by Jake Peter, who went 6-for-16 with four RBI and three runs scored. The Sky Sox were held to a .218 average and five total extra-base hits...Colorado Springs won 12 of 16 meetings last season, taking three of four games in each of the four series. The Sky Sox collected more than eight wins in a season against OKC for the first time since the teams started playing in 1998. It was also just the second time in OKC's modern PCL era the team lost 12 games in the same season against one opponent (6-12 vs. Nashville in 2007)...Colorado Springs outscored the Dodgers, 96-66, and outhit OKC, 161-139...Alex Verdugo led the Dodgers offense in the series, batting .408 over 14 games with a team-best 20 hits.
Rocky Mountain Low: The Dodgers have lost 12 of their last 14 games at Security Service Field, including nine of the last 10. Despite the ballpark's hitter-friendly reputation, the Dodgers have scored one or two runs in five of the last 10 games, including four of the last seven...In the team's last six losses at Security Service Field, the Dodgers have batted .226 (45x199), including 4-for-43 with runners in scoring position, with 13 extra-base hits and 13 runs scored...The only other time OKC has lost the first three games of a series in COS was Aug. 7-8, 2000 (DH on Aug. 8), and they have never been swept in a series at Security Service Field. The lone time the Sky Sox have swept Oklahoma City was Aug. 18-21, 2009 at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Growing Garlick: Kyle Garlick hit a two-run homer Monday night, belting his sixth homer in his last seven games and extending his hitting streak to seven games. Following a 2-for-21 start after his promotion to OKC, Garlick is 10-for-25 (.400) with six home runs and eight RBI. He now paces the Dodgers with six homers, and his 11 total homers between OKC and Double-A Tulsa lead all Dodgers minor leaguers this season. Additionally, his six homers since May 8 are tied for the most in the Minor Leagues along with High-A Inland Empire's Jared Walsh.
Jake-Up Call: Jake Peter led the Dodgers' offense Monday night, tallying a season-high four hits with a triple, RBI and run scored. It was his first four-hit game since Sept. 1, 2016 with Triple-A Charlotte against Norfolk...Peter has paced OKC's offense against the Sky Sox this season, as more than one-third of his total hits have come in seven appearances against Colorado Springs. In the season series, Peter is batting .429 (12x28) with a team-leading 12 hits, along with a team-best five RBI and six runs scored...This season when batting out of the leadoff spot, Peter is 11-for-30 (.367) with a .406 OBP.
The Birthday Boy: Today is Alex Verdugo's 22nd birthday. In his three games since returning to the OKC Dodgers, Verdugo is 4-for-11 with a double and two runs. Despite his tender age, Verdugo has slashed .310/.379/.442 in 139 career games at the Triple-A level with OKC.
Bumps in the Road: With Monday's defeat, the Dodgers are now 7-9 in road games this season, including losses in five of the last six and seven of the last nine. Of the nine total road losses, seven have come by one or two runs, with the lone exceptions being a pair of three-run losses, including last night. The last seven road losses have been by a combined 10 runs...The Dodgers have been held to two or fewer runs four times over the last nine road games, with three games tallying one or no runs. Overall, the team is slashing .247/.309/.377 with 3.8 runs per game on the road compared to .310/.376/.484 with 5.8 runs per game at home, where the team is 17-3.
Around the Horn: Rocky Gale's team-best 13-game hitting streak came to an end Monday night. He batted .420 (21x50) during the streak with six extra-base hits (3 HR) and nine RBI while raising his season average from .200 to .341...Donovan Solano collected two hits Monday along with two RBI and paces the Dodgers with 43 hits through 32 games. His .352 batting average ranks fifth-best in the PCL.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2018
- Series Finale in Colorado Springs Postponed - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox May 15 Game Postponed Due to Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop final game of series 8-5 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Mount Late Comeback, Topple River Cats 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Prevail on Fletcher's Clutch RBI - Salt Lake Bees
- Texas Rangers Purchase Contract of Express INF Hanser Alberto - Round Rock Express
- Salt Lake Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees avoid sweep with a 3-2 win on Taco Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Tops Chihuahuas 3-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- I-Cubs Miss Offensive Opportunities in Round Rock Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Express Win Series with 4-2 Victory over Cubs - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 15, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Rally But Drop Series Finale to Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Baby Cakes Match Largest Win in Franchise History - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Slice Chasers 16-0 in Series Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Gossett Shines as Sounds Hold off Redbirds in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies Rally Late to Beat Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas and Whataburger Team up to Host Food Drive at Southwest University Park - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (19-18) at Memphis Redbirds (23-16) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Host Hometown Heroes Military Celebration Night Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-16) vs Nashville Sounds (19-18) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento falls to Tacoma to knot up series - Sacramento River Cats
- Werth, Motter Lead Rainiers Past River Cats, 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Negron Ties Aces Record in Reno Loss - Reno Aces
- Lockett's Strong Start Ends Chihuahuas' Skid - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Stumble in The Springs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Fall to 51s Despite Oberholtzer's Strong Start - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kemmer's go-ahead triple in the 8th gives Fresno series win versus Salt Lake - Fresno Grizzlies
- Orf, Opitz Homer in Sky Sox Third Straight Win over Dodgers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.