Texas Rangers Purchase Contract of Express INF Hanser Alberto
DES MOINES, Iowa - Hanser Alberto is returning to The Show. The Texas Rangers announced on Tuesday that the club has purchased the contract of Round Rock Express SS Hanser Alberto. The infielder is returning to the big leagues for the first time since 2016 after missing all of last season with a shoulder injury.
Alberto was hitting .281 (36-128) with eight doubles, a triple, a home run and 17 RBI in 37 games with the Express at the time of his promotion. The versatile infielder had started 27 games at shortstop, seven at first base, two at second base and one at third base with the E-Train.
He spent the duration of the 2017 campaign on the disabled list with right shoulder problems. After opening the season on the 10-day disabled list with right shoulder tightness, Alberto was transferred to the 60-day disabled list on May 16. The 25-year-old appeared in five games on a rehab assignment, three with Double-A Frisco and two in Round Rock, before undergoing right rotator cuff debridement surgery on June 19.
Alberto combined to play in 76 games with the Rangers in 2015 and 2016, compiling a .194 batting average (30-155) with three doubles, a triple and nine RBI. After making his major league debut in 2015, he was named to the Rangers' Opening Day roster in 2016.
The Dominican native is in his ninth season with the Rangers organization after being signed by the team as a non-drafted free agent on November 23, 2009.
After a league-wide off-day on Wednesday, the Express open a four-game series against the New Orleans Baby Cakes on Thursday. Round Rock RHP Yovani Gallardo (0-1, 4.71) is slated to start against New Orleans RHP Sandy Alcantara (1-1, 3.79). First pitch at the Shrine on Airline in Metairie, Louisiana is set for 7:00 p.m.
Single-game tickets, season memberships and flex plan ticket packages are on sale now. For more information on the Express, visit RoundRockExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter!
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2018
- Series Finale in Colorado Springs Postponed - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox May 15 Game Postponed Due to Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop final game of series 8-5 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Mount Late Comeback, Topple River Cats 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Prevail on Fletcher's Clutch RBI - Salt Lake Bees
- Texas Rangers Purchase Contract of Express INF Hanser Alberto - Round Rock Express
- Salt Lake Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees avoid sweep with a 3-2 win on Taco Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Tops Chihuahuas 3-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- I-Cubs Miss Offensive Opportunities in Round Rock Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Express Win Series with 4-2 Victory over Cubs - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 15, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Rally But Drop Series Finale to Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Baby Cakes Match Largest Win in Franchise History - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Slice Chasers 16-0 in Series Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Gossett Shines as Sounds Hold off Redbirds in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies Rally Late to Beat Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas and Whataburger Team up to Host Food Drive at Southwest University Park - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (19-18) at Memphis Redbirds (23-16) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Host Hometown Heroes Military Celebration Night Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-16) vs Nashville Sounds (19-18) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento falls to Tacoma to knot up series - Sacramento River Cats
- Werth, Motter Lead Rainiers Past River Cats, 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Negron Ties Aces Record in Reno Loss - Reno Aces
- Lockett's Strong Start Ends Chihuahuas' Skid - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Stumble in The Springs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Fall to 51s Despite Oberholtzer's Strong Start - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kemmer's go-ahead triple in the 8th gives Fresno series win versus Salt Lake - Fresno Grizzlies
- Orf, Opitz Homer in Sky Sox Third Straight Win over Dodgers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Dell Diamond Named 2018 Baseball Field of the Year
- Home Run Dugout to Debut at Dell Diamond in 2019
- Austin Elite Rugby Selects Dell Diamond for 2019 Major League Rugby Season
- Nolan Ryan & RS3 Turf Launch Custom Line of Sports Field Materials
- Round Rock Express Become Houston Astros Triple-A Affiliate