I-Cubs Miss Offensive Opportunities in Round Rock Loss
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (12-25) dropped the finale of a four-game set with the Round Rock Express (16-24), 4-2, Tuesday afternoon at Principal Park.
The Express struck first with a run in the second, before Iowa countered in the bottom half by way of a Chesny Young RBI and a Stephen Bruno sac fly. Young would continue to swing a hot bat, going 2-for-4 with a double. Bijan Rademacher ended his day in a similar fashion, with a 2-for-4 performance as part of a nine-hit game for Iowa. However, it was not enough against a Round Rock club that was able to better capitalize on its 10 hits.
Yohander Mendez quieted the I-Cub offense for the remainder of his three innings, as he limited the potential damage after Iowa stranded five on the base paths through four.
After leading the Express 2-1 for four innings, Round Rock notched a run the in the seventh off lefty Kyle Ryan to make it a new game at 2-2.
Lefty Randy Rosario continued his dominance on the mound as he tossed an inning of one-hit ball in the eighth with one strikeout. The usual steady bullpen arms were unable to hold the Round Rock offense, which tagged closer Dillon Maples for two in the ninth off a Destin Hood single and a Nick Noonan RBI groundout for his first loss of the season.
Iowa continues its eight-game homestand Thursday at 6:38 with Omaha after a PCL off day on Wednesday. Thursday will feature Dog Days and Dollar Dogs in the promotional lineup. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 15, 2018
- Series Finale in Colorado Springs Postponed - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox May 15 Game Postponed Due to Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats drop final game of series 8-5 - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Mount Late Comeback, Topple River Cats 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Prevail on Fletcher's Clutch RBI - Salt Lake Bees
- Texas Rangers Purchase Contract of Express INF Hanser Alberto - Round Rock Express
- Salt Lake Bees Begin Weekend Homestand Thursday - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees avoid sweep with a 3-2 win on Taco Tuesday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Tops Chihuahuas 3-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- I-Cubs Miss Offensive Opportunities in Round Rock Loss - Iowa Cubs
- Express Win Series with 4-2 Victory over Cubs - Round Rock Express
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 15, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Rally But Drop Series Finale to Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Baby Cakes Match Largest Win in Franchise History - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Slice Chasers 16-0 in Series Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Gossett Shines as Sounds Hold off Redbirds in Series Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies Rally Late to Beat Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas and Whataburger Team up to Host Food Drive at Southwest University Park - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (19-18) at Memphis Redbirds (23-16) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Host Hometown Heroes Military Celebration Night Friday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-16) vs Nashville Sounds (19-18) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento falls to Tacoma to knot up series - Sacramento River Cats
- Werth, Motter Lead Rainiers Past River Cats, 8-5 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Negron Ties Aces Record in Reno Loss - Reno Aces
- Lockett's Strong Start Ends Chihuahuas' Skid - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Stumble in The Springs - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Fall to 51s Despite Oberholtzer's Strong Start - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kemmer's go-ahead triple in the 8th gives Fresno series win versus Salt Lake - Fresno Grizzlies
- Orf, Opitz Homer in Sky Sox Third Straight Win over Dodgers - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.